Sari6t

Particle Dust script for Heli's

Ok, simple question really. 

I have a working script that does what I want. The question is this. Is there a function that will trigger the particle effect over Prims like llWater and llGround does? I went through a lot of them but nothing seemed to me like llPrim lol. 

Cheers

llAbs - is a function. I don't need to go to the gym anymore :)

Edited by Sari6t
  • Like 1

llWater and llGround don't trigger anything.  They just tell you the elevation of the land or water surface at the designated spot.  You could always decide to trigger a particle effect by testing

if ( llGround(ZERO_VECTOR) < llWater(ZERO_VECTOR) )
{
    // Make my particle routine start creating dust
}
else
{
    llParticleSystem([]);   // Stop making particles
}

On 8/17/2019 at 11:47 PM, Sari6t said:

Is there a function that will trigger the particle effect over Prims like llWater and llGround does?

Does it really make sense to have a dust effect over prims? You don't know what the prims represent. You won't have too much dust on a skyscraper roof. Or it could be a cloud/fog prim. It would look funny if you fly over a prim-bird and suddenly there is dust all over the place...

Edited by Estelle Pienaar

On 8/17/2019 at 5:47 PM, Sari6t said:

Is there a function that will trigger the particle effect over Prims like llWater and llGround does? I went through a lot of them but nothing seemed to me like llPrim lol.

Best way to do this is to have the vehicle use llCastRay at a set interval. You can also do this in place of llGround.
example:

vector pos=llGetPos();
list ray = llCastRay(pos,pos-<0.0,0.0,10.0>,[RC_REJECT_TYPES, RC_REJECT_PHYSICAL|RC_REJECT_AGENTS]);
if(llList2Vector(ray,1)!=ZERO_VECTOR)particles_start();

Edited by Secondary Lionheart

Sadly, llCastRay alone won't help you much if you are flying over Linden water.  You can't detect the water surface with a cast ray, so you'll still have to do a double check to see whether llGround(ZERO_VECTOR)  > llWater(ZERO_VECTOR) .  Otherwise, that's a good suggestion and it can help tell whether you are over the ground or over some object.  You could use that bit of knowledge to tell you whether to turn on the dust cloud, so you don't get dusty birds.  

Edited by Rolig Loon