LOD creation from 3dsmax

Spider Mycron

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1706 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

18 minutes ago, Spider Mycron said:

Hello,

im 3dsmax 2019 user, and i have no idea how to create LOD file for my models , is there any advice or guidance please ?

thanks

The basic principle for creating LOD models is pretty much interchangeable between most traditional 3d apps so assuming you're familiar with the toolset in 3dsmax then your best bet is just to find one of the numerous tutorials in this sub-forum on how to make LOD models for SL mesh and follow along, ignoring any specific information regarding the blender toolset (or whatever app the tutorial is based on) and substituting the appropriate 3dsmax tools.

Here's a tutorial created by Penny Patton that covers the basics and should help you get started Optimization Tutorial: Creating Your Own LOD Models!

I'd also recommend searching the forums for posts related to 3dsmax just to see if there are any specific limitations that you need to be aware of or recommended workflows you should follow when preparing your meshes for upload.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spider Mycron said:

im 3dsmax 2019 user, and i have no idea how to create LOD file for my models , is there any advice or guidance please ?

I'm not familiar with 3ds Max either but as Fluffy said, the basic principles are the same regardless of what software you use and very simple, much simpler than how Penny describes it:

To make good efficient LoD models, you need to remove all the details that aren't noticeable and keep the ones that are.

To achieve that, you need to:

1. know what the LoD swap distances are. (You can find them either by calculating or by trial-and-error)
  2. use a 3D modelling program that allows you to edit and delete individual vertices and polys
  3. do reality checks (preferably on the beta grid to save Lindens) before the final upload and - of course be willing to correct the flaws you notice.

Those are the absolute requirements. Nobody but nobody is able to make decent LoD models without all those three in place. But once you have them sorted out, you should be able to make better LoD than the SL average right away.

16 hours ago, Spider Mycron said:

Hello,

thanks

Hi! 

First it all depends by whether your models are rigged or static, then if static what do they represent? An organic shape like a statue can be reduced in triangle count more loosely than a primitive based build, like an house that's basically a bunch of cubes. The general rule is to have a significant lesser number of triangles for each LoD than the LoD above. The uploader's generator does a harsh (pretty random) reduction, where the mid lod is around 1/4 the triangle count of your model, for example, and the following LoDs are 1/4 of the previous ones. And not always respecting your UV mapping. 

I don't know 3dsmax but i assume there's an option for an automatic reduction too, where you can set basic parameters like UV preservation. 

Be careful though, because the lowest LoD is what most heavily influences the outcome as far as land impact goes. That might need some manual work instead of relying on an automatic process, because every edge and triangle matters in terms of silhouette shape retention and final LI. 

Follow the advice mentioned in the previous posts as a basis, then try to expand further basing off the type of model you actually have at hand. 

Edited by OptimoMaximo
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1706 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.