Online indicator abuse?

9Air

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the proper topic to talk about my situation, but I couldn't find best fit categories to talk about this.

I used to have partner, and I had to end up with her because of personal reason (more like arguments and insultings from her)

So I blocked that person and derendered since I didn't want to get stressed out here.

I thought everything would be back to normal, but sadly it wasn't.

I don't know how she's doing it, but she brings her multiple alt accounts too search me. 

Amazingly she finds out me within 5 minutes anywhere I go.

That seems not a problem because I blocked + derendered her.

However, the problem is she annoys every person standing right next to me even though I don't talk them. 

So even if I goto sim that is 'group only', tho she cannot see people's avatars she messages them who are standing close to me.

I am the one who has to apologize every time she giving them IM about checking on me.

Once she mentioned she has an online indicator that tells her my login status will be sent to her eamil, I think that's why she signs in whenever I login second life.

Then she spams sending me email with tons of different email addresses, asking why did I login second life.

But I don't know much about online indicator because I never used it before. So I asked to remove my name from there since we are no longer in relationship, she kept purposely ignoring what I asked.

Does it work like you just put someone's name in the online indicator without asking permission to that person and then you will get notification whether that person is online of offline? I never accepted the messages like 'someone wants to attach/put you on something'.

Of course I reported her, but I cannot guarantee it will work.

I have spent too much on this account, it would be really sad making alt account to run. But if there is any method that my name can be removed from somebody's online indicator, would you be able to tell me how to remove my name?

4 answers to this question

Hi 9Air,

Everyone's online status is available. Some third-party viewers will show online status in a resident's profile and scripts always have access to that information and can forward it to e-mail addresses, as is the case with your ex-partner. There's nothing that can be done about this. Blocking and derendering are good steps. Make sure you never respond to anything she does. She'll feed on your reactions.

What people CANNOT do, however, is locate you within SL without your permission. There is no way to query your SL location, other than by being close enough to you to show up on the mini-map or radar. If your ex seems able to discover you wherever you go, I suspect that's because you are going places she knows you frequent, or she maintains contact with other friends of yours who are divulging your whereabouts.

Stalkers eventually give up if the search becomes too tedious and the rewards too scarce. Visit new places and make new friends. If you're able to stay happy doing that longer than she can stay happy trying to find you, you win.

Hugs,
Maddy

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

What people CANNOT do, however, is locate you within SL without your permission. There is no way to query your SL location, other than by being close enough to you to show up on the mini-map or radar. If your ex seems able to discover you wherever you go, I suspect that's because you are going places she knows you frequent, or she maintains contact with other friends of yours who are divulging your whereabouts.

There is another possibility, it is easy enough to write a script which checks someone's location (on teleport, or just every 5 minutes or so) then send that location to someone else's email,. or send it to IM or whatever.
It's a privacy violation and I am pretty sure it's also a TOS violation, but it can easily be done. 
So if you are still wearing something that she gave you, stop wearing that and see if she can still locate you. And if you have RLV enabled in your viewer, try disabling that too. RLV has some built-in methods to allow someone to be located although that does require an attachment, like a collar or implant.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

RLV has some built-in methods to allow someone to be located although that does require an attachment, like a collar or implant.

That's not an RLV feature. It's the fact that you're wearing something, same as you explained earlier in your post.

But even without knowing any location, it's pretty easy to find people when you've known them for a while and know that they tend to go to a "group only sim." If you don't change your habits, you're predictable.

The built-in avatar radar shows people in restricted parcels as well. Even if it didn't, scripts can do it too.

Should you change your habits because of a breakup? Unfortunately in some cases.

An easy way to mess with these stalkers is to just hang out in someone's home they don't know about, rent a new place, or just never log out so they don't know if you're actually active or not. (Or log in before going to sleep and leave your avatar parked in some random corner of mainland. Use the map, don't search for a public place.)

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

But even without knowing any location, it's pretty easy to find people when you've known them for a while and know that they tend to go to a "group only sim." If you don't change your habits, you're predictable.

That (the quoted) combined with this makes it dead-pan easy and fast to find anyone anywhere: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Avatar-Spotter/9939790

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.