Pixie Kobichenko

Maybe it helps? Not sure...

I had the odd thought (while refreshing to get a home in Bellisseria (i moved off of Emerson Lake a month back) that maybe if I shut off the viewer I could catch a house- since I missed one 2x yesterday and it seemed my machine was lagging- the moment I did- I caught a houseboat!  And almost on top of my best friend!  There is just one houseboat in between us.  How weird is that! :D  *goes off to do happy decorating dance*   (posting because I wonder if not running SL improves chances by speeding up machines- tho it could just be coincidence)

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Congrats in catching that most illusive of species, the Linden House boat, and even better to catch one so close to your best friend! ;) 

In order for the catch rate to improve we'd need something as a base point, but catching a home isn't reliable. It's hit and miss at the best of times. Quite often while I'm on the forums I'm not in-world in SL and have Auto Refresh running in the background, as is the case right now. Its been running for approximately 4 hours with no homes spotted as yet. But last night while I was in-world building Auto Refresh spotted 2 traditional and 2 houseboats. There have been days in-world where Refresh catches nothing, and other times I see something at least once. But the same can be said for those periods I'm on not in-world, too. 

One thing I've noticed for those using Google Chrome Auto Refresh Plus is sometimes  my computer's task manager picks up Crash Handlers or Google Installers. Deleting those and refreshing the Dashboard page again helps in terms of making my computer less stuttery or laggy. But in terms of catching a home or house boat nothing reliable yet. But will be interesting to see if others have the same results or different again. 🤔

Good suggestion at least, maybe it might help someone and good luck on the decorating. :D 

(And yes I use a lot of emojis because you can't see me smiling in RL so that's the next best thing we have to "tone" - just in case someone were to think I was being condescending, which I'm not of course).

• Like 2

Lol I wonder if you are clarifying tone with smilies due to the public tiff I had with another forum patron last week (a linden came in & locked the thread- I'd rathered he just deleted it but oh well- I suppose my continued public shaming of being exposed for being argumentative will continue to haunt me until memories fade & the thread is buried several pages deep.   

Anywho.  I was having problems with the refresher timing out at 71 seconds a few days back so yesterday and today I ran it on 85 seconds. Even only tried for less than an hour tonight before landing the houseboat.  So I did indeed get lucky today.  it took about three weeks for me to get the house on Emerson Lake with running the refresher probably six hours a day at least.  

And I'm already noticing that it's a lot more traffic than Emerson lake was, which really makes me happy it was pretty lonely there as I do like to just stand at home.  I have an inner ear disorder that causes dizziness and for whatever reason moving throughout  second life triggers it.  I'm good to stand at home and dance and whatnot as long as the background isn't moving.  I just can't go off exploring and riding in vehicles, sailing, horseback riding or anything similar is absolutely out of the question. So it can hamper my chances for making new friends.  

Anywho my SL time for today is over.  

It would be interesting to find out if there was some sort of formula or any sort of pattern to successful house hunting.  but it probably is just completely random luck of the draw.

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

I had the odd thought (while refreshing to get a home in Bellisseria (i moved off of Emerson Lake a month back) that maybe if I shut off the viewer I could catch a house- since I missed one 2x yesterday and it seemed my machine was lagging- the moment I did- I caught a houseboat!  And almost on top of my best friend!  There is just one houseboat in between us.  How weird is that! :D  *goes off to do happy decorating dance*   (posting because I wonder if not running SL improves chances by speeding up machines- tho it could just be coincidence)

Actually you're probably right; if you have the viewer open it will be eating up your bandwidth.

Not sure if its relevant but when I grabbed my Linden Home I was on my mobile phone and the only thing I had open was the SL website.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

Congratulations Pixie, so happy for you! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I do the refreshing on one computer (netbook) and forum and/or being inworld on another (tower).

I cannot know for sure but I feel I lessen my chances of catching a home when doing to much on the same computer, not that he wouldn't SPOT it and give the alarm but that it would delay the actual catching, going to that window and clicking foreward and agree. 

• Like 1