How do you link your wishlist onto your profile?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1706 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dunno, not a friend of wishlists for myself. For two reasons - First, I do not enjoy getting gifts or someone paying for my stuff - neither in SL nor RL. However, that's mainly due to my upbringing where gifts would always come with expectations and strings attached. So I dread getting gifts - but I absolutely enjoy giving gifts, either buying people something or craft something myself - my highest gifts are paintings, because they're using up the most time and energy, heh. 

The second is - I don't ask for things, again, neither in SL nor RL.  Mainly because it'd make me feel  like I'm begging. But that's another can of worms I should not open, actually. Instead, I'd like to add that while I may feel about that in regards to myself, it does not apply to other people. I do not think they are begging by having a wishlist. 
How others utilize their wishlist is up to them entirely. I don't really mind, and I understand that (thankfully! )not everyone has as skewed perceptions as I do in that regard.
But I do find it offputting if the very first thing I see on a profile is their wishlist, or if it's too boldly advertised. But even then - to each their own. I'd still talk to them like I'd do normaly.

• Like 3

I admit I didn't read all pages, but... Are people judging others because of wishlists? What's wrong with the world? 😅

I have one ranging from a few bucks to 5K, but I use it more as "bookmark". I don't shove it in strangers' faces - its there, quiet in a corner of my Pics. And honestly I don't believe anyone will buy stuff for me, but who knows?,  if he/she wants, they don't need to ask me (or send things I will never use). I can't see HOW this is in any possible way "begging".

[Besides... Can a good soul send me gifts, plox? I'm a poor citizen from the third world with 3 little childs, God bless you 🤣 

...or I report you]

The discussion in this thread has changed my perception a bit. When the thread started, I'd have said I found wishlists a bit offputting...wouldn't make any huge moral judgments or stop talking to someone over it, but yes, it would have looked to me like grabbiness, and that isn't appealing.

Scylla's explanation of the context around it, and the rest of the discussion as well, has made me understand it a bit better. It's just that your profile isn't just for your friends and people who know the context. It's for literally anyone who looks at it. It's the first thing you say to a lot of people, even if you don't know they're reading it. If I don't know you, and I don't know that there's this gift-giving culture in the forums, and I see a wishlist with no explanation in your profile, then yes, I'm going to think you're asking everyone who looks at you to buy you stuff. That won't necessarily make me dislike or avoid you, but it will leave an impression. I'm reminded of those people who go into aggressive Facebook rants. I might not be the target but it's a bit offputting to have a furious diatribe pop up in my feed like that. These people must know I'm reading, so I have to assume they intended me to see it?

It might help to contextualise things if the wishlist is in a pick along with a message making it known that it's intended for friends and that there's a culture around it. There's still no getting around the fact that anyone who looks at you will see it, and you must know that, but it would help people like me to see it more in the intended light. If you care what people like me think, that is, which you are of course under no obligation to do.

How many people who feature wishlists in their profiles also have a message in there asking for others to share theirs so they can also buy things for people?

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 2

Honestly,  I just put stuff in my wishlist, for me to go back later and buy the stuff.  If someone REALLY wants to buy me stuff from there, I have no problems with that.  I usually give waaaaay more gifts than I get, and I am QUITE happy about that.  I was THAT girl and put my wishlist in my profile, with no explanation, because it's my profile.  If something in there turns you off,  that's fine.  However, at the end of the day, it's my profile. If I want to put a ton of clown pics in it, I will.  No one is required to read it ( I know I rarely read other's profiles), so it really doesn't matter to me if someone likes what they read or  not.  If they don't, that's on them. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1706 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.