How do you link your wishlist onto your profile?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1702 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Catrie said:

Do I need to badger you too?  I have to with Orwar and Pyara, so I can randomly go in there and buy stuff that they've already indicated they want.  Wishlists are great, especially during the holidays.  I can go in,  get all my "shopping" done and not question if the person will like it or not. 

I browse the MP a LOT. duh. lol  So, mine is pretty extensive. 
I don't see anything wrong with having it listed in your profile.  If some random person wants to buy you something from there, let them.  If you're going to judge someone, based on their wishlist, just them from the contents of their wishlist, not that they have it in their profile. 😛

And speaking of generous gift-givers . . . !

But if I HAD put together a wishlist, and you'd used it instead of coming up with something that you thought would look good on me, I wouldn't have benefited from your superb good taste: instead, I'd have received something that was merely a reflection of my own, rather more banal, sense of personal aesthetic.

So there. Hah!

6 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I put a few things on my wishlist on occasion, in case I want to purchase something later. I don't advertise it in any way though. It's just easier than having a half million tabs open in my browser for things I might want to get later.

Cat occasionally sneaks on there and buys me something, though.

This is the way to do it. I like to be philanthropic sometimes and it makes it easy for me. I don't like to just throw money, that's silly. And a wishlist makes it easy to know what someone actually would like to have. I've had people randomly buy me gifts once in a while over the years and many times it's nothing I would use or really want (and a couple times something that induces a cringe).

I see it this way: you don't have to gift anything to anyone, though if you are in the mood for nothing other than the wonderful feeling of giving then someone's wishlist makes it that much easier to do. From the giver's perspective it's a wonderful thing. Though I must also say that how people express their feelings on the very idea give me an impression of the general color of their personality. And I get to prejudge if they get to. LOL

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And speaking of generous gift-givers . . . !

But if I HAD put together a wishlist, and you'd used it instead of coming up with something that you thought would look good on me, I wouldn't have benefited from your superb good taste: instead, I'd have received something that was merely a reflection of my own, rather more banal, sense of personal aesthetic.

So there. Hah!

Well, technically, you asked me where you could get a skirt like that. Which is how I ended up in the store and randomly decided to buy you the dress.  Wishlists don't prevent me from randomly buying stuff for people. Just ask Orwar. I buy him stuff from events, etc, at random times.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Good. He doesn't wear nearly enough pink.

I don't think I've bought him anything pink. lol  It would be a waste of money, as he wouldn't wear it.  If I see something I think he'd like, I tend to either buy it for him or tell him about it, for him to demo/buy. 

Not gonna lie, I love getting gifts, but I love giving them even more. 

Edited by Catrie
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Catrie said:

Do I need to badger you too?  I have to with Orwar and Pyara, so I can randomly go in there and buy stuff that they've already indicated they want.  Wishlists are great, especially during the holidays.  I can go in,  get all my "shopping" done and not question if the person will like it or not. 

I browse the MP a LOT. duh. lol  So, mine is pretty extensive. 
I don't see anything wrong with having it listed in your profile.  If some random person wants to buy you something from there, let them.  If you're going to judge someone, based on their wishlist, just them from the contents of their wishlist, not that they have it in their profile. 😛

I really dont care whats on a wishlist, that would make no difference to me liking them or not. You may not like me prejudging you on the fact that it basically says to strangers on you profile "I want people to give me free stuff", I am sure everyone saying people shouldnt prejudge on this has things they prejudge people on due to what their profile contains

I only talk to people with good mesh

Some homophobic message

Some sexist message

some racist message

I reserve the right to repost your ims and you agree to this by imming me

Touch my family and you will answer to me

Wishlist

There that is my almost complete set. I also would bet that at least some of those will also cause the people getting on their high horse about prejudging to also avoid talking to people or in other words its fine to prejudge when its something you agree with prejudging on. Shrugs not my problem in the least.

All these tell me this is a person that I am unlikely to get on with so why waste any time on them when there are plenty of other people I can be talking to instead. I will be right by avoiding them far often than I will be wrong. As I said I bump into far more people than I can talk to so like everyone I talk to people selectively. This is merely a way of winnowing the chaff from the wheat of people I will actually enjoy talking to

13 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Though I must also say that how people express their feelings on the very idea give me an impression of the general color of their personality. And I get to prejudge if they get to. LOL

That is perfectly your right though I suspect all it tells you is they dont like beggars in sl rather than they are not philanthropic.

I gives gifts all the time even to random strangers, I just don't do it if they come out and ask outright which is what to my mind putting a wishlist in your profile is

2 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

You may not like me prejudging you on the fact that it basically says to strangers on you profile "I want people to give me free stuff", I am sure everyone saying people shouldnt prejudge on this has things they prejudge people on due to what their profile contains

Some homophobic message

Some sexist message

some racist message

Wishlist

Well, ok . . . although, again, I think context is important.

There's a pretty mixed bag of things here though, and you've thrown together some that are of great importance -- sexism, homophobia, and racism -- with one or two others that are really pretty trivial. I also tend to think I'm less likely to like someone who judges others on the basis of whether they are mesh or not (the one about not messing with family/friends/lovers I think is an absolute hoot, personally), but it is in an entirely different league with the others. Same with a wishlist on the profile, I think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KanryDrago said:

I really dont care whats on a wishlist, that would make no difference to me liking them or not. You may not like me prejudging you on the fact that it basically says to strangers on you profile "I want people to give me free stuff", I am sure everyone saying people shouldnt prejudge on this has things they prejudge people on due to what their profile contains

Some homophobic message

Some sexist message

some racist message

Wishlist

There that is my almost complete set. I also would bet that at least some of those will also cause the people getting on their high horse about prejudging to also avoid talking to people or in other words its fine to prejudge when its something you agree with prejudging on. Shrugs not my problem in the least.

All these tell me this is a person that I am unlikely to get on with so why waste any time on them when there are plenty of other people I can be talking to instead. I will be right by avoiding them far often than I will be wrong. As I said I bump into far more people than I can talk to so like everyone I talk to people selectively. This is merely a way of winnowing the chaff from the wheat of people I will actually enjoy talking to

You do you, Boo.  I rarely look at profiles, as I generally forget about them.  It took me a long while to even put anything in mine and I rarely update it.  I don't care if you prejudge someone based on their profile or not. That's totally up to you.  Everyone has their own opinion and as long as it doesn't directly affect me, I don't care what it is.  :) 

Personally, I talk to very few people in game.  The ones I do, I've met either through other friends or on the forums.  I'm pretty sure I haven't looked at most of their profiles.   To each their own, though.   

Now, your wishlist is empty, which canNOT stand!!  How are random peeps supposed to buy you anything?!?!  Danngit, Jim!!  I'm a shopper, not a mind reader!!!  😛 

• Like 2

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, ok . . . although, again, I think context is important.

There's a pretty mixed bag of things here though, and you've thrown together some that are of great importance -- sexism, homophobia, and racism -- with one or two others that are really pretty trivial. I also tend to think I'm less likely to like someone who judges others on the basis of whether they are mesh or not (the one about not messing with family/friends/lovers I think is an absolute hoot, personally), but it is in an entirely different league with the others. Same with a wishlist on the profile, I think.

I never said they were all equal Scylla, merely mentioned some of the things that just makes me ignore someone when I see it on a profile. Life is to short to bother with those people in my view and as its my time I get to choose the parameters

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Catrie said:

Now, your wishlist is empty, which canNOT stand!!  How are random peeps supposed to buy you anything?!?!  Danngit, Jim!!  I'm a shopper, not a mind reader!!!  😛 

Do what I do, you either know what someone wants because they are a friend, you ask them what they would like as you are feeling generous or you merely say here have some lindens go buy yourself something.

1 minute ago, KanryDrago said:

Do what I do, you either know what someone wants because they are a friend, you ask them what they would like as you are feeling generous or you merely say here have some lindens go buy yourself something.

Or... I could randomly check a stranger's wishlist and send them something.  You never know. It could turn their crappy day into a good one.  That whole "Random Act of Kindness" thing, you know. :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

they dont like beggars in sl

Hmmm. I guess? I find people who hit others up for money randomly to be annoying -- and, of course, it's not at all the same thing as panhandlers in RL, who are probably homeless, malnourished, poorly clothed, etc. -- but I've never understood the actual hatred that gets directed at such people. They are annoying, and if they are any good, they may tweak your conscience, but they aren't actually hurting anyone.

5 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

I gives gifts all the time even to random strangers

Knowing you, I don't for a moment doubt this.

6 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

if they come out and ask outright which is what to my mind putting a wishlist in your profile is

I think here, you're wrong. Actively hitting someone up for money or gifts is not the same thing, at all, as passively making available a tool that will assist people in being generous. Again, it's not like a link to their wishlist jumps off the screen and bites you. It causes no harm, nor even annoyance. Why worry about it?

Just now, Catrie said:

Or... I could randomly check a stranger's wishlist and send them something.  You never know. It could turn their crappy day into a good one.  That whole "Random Act of Kindness" thing, you know. :)

Nods and the whole point of me speaking in this thread, though it has digressed somewhat from the initial point. Was to say that while the thread contained the answer how a word of caution that some people won't bother talking to them because of it. I certainly know other people who have expressed the same views on wish lists in profiles

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Hmmm. I guess? I find people who hit others up for money randomly to be annoying -- and, of course, it's not at all the same thing as panhandlers in RL, who are probably homeless, malnourished, poorly clothed, etc. -- but I've never understood the actual hatred that gets directed at such people. They are annoying, and if they are any good, they may tweak your conscience, but they aren't actually hurting anyone.

Knowing you, I don't for a moment doubt this.

I think here, you're wrong. Actively hitting someone up for money or gifts is not the same thing, at all, as passively making available a tool that will assist people in being generous. Again, it's not like a link to their wishlist jumps off the screen and bites you. It causes no harm, nor even annoyance. Why worry about it?

As to the first, I distinctly said SL because its a totally different situation. No one here needs anything, they may want it and they also have tools they can use to get the money for it from working/that linden game/sploders etc.

I agree active beggars are even worse in the virtual world and I also agree the wishlist does me no harm by being there. I never said it did. However if I am reading your profile as a stranger then I am reading it to decide whether I want to talk to you or not. Now I will talk to most people who im me, I will also reach out an im someone however I will always check their profile first whichever way the im originates. The whole point of a profile however is to let us know something about the person so that we can make that decision. People seem to think I am a horrible prejudging  person for using a profile in just that way.

4 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

Nods and the whole point of me speaking in this thread, though it has digressed somewhat from the initial point. Was to say that while the thread contained the answer how a word of caution that some people won't bother talking to them because of it. I certainly know other people who have expressed the same views on wish lists in profiles

and that's completely fair.  I think everyone has a list, subconsciously  or not,  that determines what they think about a person from their profile.  

17 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

That is perfectly your right though I suspect all it tells you is they dont like beggars in sl rather than they are not philanthropic.

I gives gifts all the time even to random strangers, I just don't do it if they come out and ask outright which is what to my mind putting a wishlist in your profile is

I just think it's sad that you presume anyone with a wishlist to be a beggar, that's all.

• Like 1

Just now, KanryDrago said:

People seem to think I am a horrible prejudging  person for using a profile in just that way.

Well, speaking personally, not "horrible." I know you're not that.

But you may be missing out on meeting some nice and worthwhile people as a result. I just don't think it's a very accurate or reliable way of judging someone's character -- at least, not on its own. But of course, that's your call, and I wouldn't judge you for choosing it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alyona Su said:

I just think it's sad that you presume anyone with a wishlist to be a beggar, that's all.

They are acting like one by making it known they would like to be given free stuff. Seems the very definition of being a beggar to me

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, speaking personally, not "horrible." I know you're not that.

But you may be missing out on meeting some nice and worthwhile people as a result. I just don't think it's a very accurate or reliable way of judging someone's character -- at least, not on its own. But of course, that's your call, and I wouldn't judge you for choosing it.

If I talk to these people with my red flags on their profile and 90% of time I find it a waste of time I could be using to talk to someone else that I would enjoy. All of the red flags on my list except the obvious ones have got there by experience that I am wasting my time talking to them on the whole. For example I found early on that within the first 30 minutes of chatting that people with a wishlist in their profiles would manage to point out to me it was there.

10 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

They are acting like one by making it known they would like to be given free stuff. Seems the very definition of being a beggar to me

"Acting" as though... = Definition." Huh. Okay. A beggar begs, a simple list does not a beggar make. But a curmudgeon is as a curmudgeon does. 

Just now, Alyona Su said:

"Acting" as though... = Definition." Huh. Okay. A beggar begs, a simple list does not a beggar make. But a curmudgeon is as a curmudgeon does. 

Ok try a simple experiment, come up with a list of 10 items you want in rl with links to shops where they are ordered then email it to 30 or 40 of your friends letting them know its just in case they want to buy you something. See what reaction you get. It amounts to the same thing. Also as I said I have always found those that have a wishlist in their profiles quite forward at letting you know for the most part ranging from "We have been chatting half an hour and you havent bought me anything, are you wasting my time?" . To the subtle "just so you know I have a link to my wishlist in my profile if you ever feel generous" . Are they all like that? Probably not. Are they mostly like that in my experience yes.

15 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

then email it to 30 or 40 of your friends

That is begging. I don't shout the URL to my wishlist in open chat. See the difference? Yet if you go to the web site of many store you can find people's wishlist lists all the time. Go figure.

Edit to add: You obviously presume that the worst of what you see applies to everyone you see. As I've said before, I think it's sad that you are like that. I have no intention to change your mind, we all are the way we are, some see the positive in things at first blush, others: not so much. So be it. I'm willing to bet people like me are generally more happy, more often than people like you. Maybe not; it's just a hypothesis. :)

Edited by Alyona Su

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1702 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.