How do you link your wishlist onto your profile?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

(And people. Please stop sending Haselden junk.)

2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

It is wishlists (plural) +first.last (or just first if resident.)

Just like that.  Take the first part ( https://marketplace.secondlife.com/wishlists/ ) then add the name you want to find.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/wishlists/Scylla.Rhiadra

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Like 1

If you ever forget what the link is, just go to your own Wishlist on the MP, go to the bottom of the list, click the link at the bottom that says 'View of share your wishlist'.  It will change the web page URL to what you need to give other people.  To access anyone else's, use that same URL format, but substitute the appropriate name as mentioned above..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Adding a wishlist to your profile feels kind of "sugarbabyish". Yes, that's really a word. 

If I check out a profile and it has on the front page a wish list then it gets shut straight down and I don't bother reading more and just don't bother with im'ming them

10 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Adding a wishlist to your profile feels kind of "sugarbabyish". Yes, that's really a word. 

Either way, it does work. I've received gifts from total strangers, and I mean from people who didn't't even chat with me. I think it would only feel "sugar baby-ish" if you put expensive stuff in there. I limit it to 200L or less type stuff, usually 50L-99L so I try to show that I'm not the greedy sort.

1 hour ago, KanryDrago said:

If I check out a profile and it has on the front page a wish list then it gets shut straight down and I don't bother reading more and just don't bother with im'ming them

That's good for you, though isn't it a bit pre-judgmental of you, also? Just thinking aloud :)

Edited by Alyona Su

1 hour ago, KanryDrago said:

Awww.  That's your prerogative I guess,

Personally I love wishlists!  Even if I don't buy anything it lets me get a better feel for their style.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Personally I love wishlists!  Even if I don't buy anything it lets me get a better feel for their style.

THIS! It's like an extension to their profile! For example, if I see a load of BDSM/Kinky/OMG... stuff, I kind of get a basic idea of how they like to spend their in-world time. Hahahaha

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

That's good for you, though isn't it a bit pre-judgmental of you, also? Just thinking aloud :)

Your first view of who that person is them saying "Give me stuff". Plenty enough people not doing that so I am not missing out on anything as far as I can see. I can't talk to everyone I see there isnt time so I use profiles to winnow out who I talk to simple as that, its just one of the things that gets you on my don't bother with list. Another is "mess with my family and you mess with me". Are all people with that on their profile going to be arrogant and aggressive....probably not. probably more than half though so you put yourself in the likely category then thats your issue not mine. Or am I being judgemental there too?

5 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

Your first view of who that person is them saying "Give me stuff". Plenty enough people not doing that so I am not missing out on anything as far as I can see. I can't talk to everyone I see there isnt time so I use profiles to winnow out who I talk to simple as that, its just one of the things that gets you on my don't bother with list. Another is "mess with my family and you mess with me". Are all people with that on their profile going to be arrogant and aggressive....probably not. probably more than half though so you put yourself in the likely category then thats your issue not mine. Or am I being judgemental there too?

I get it, first impressions you take from things you see are a learned thing from your life experience. Your first impression is not my first impression (and that's okay, right?) As for plenty of people not doing it, most people don't even know there even is such a feature, much less that it can be shared :)

As for judgmental: nothing wrong with that; we all are. I am referring to pre-judgment, judging a book by its cover rather than its contents. :P

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I get it, first impressions you take from things you see are a learned thing from your life experience. Your first impression is not my first impression (and that's okay, right?) As for plenty of people not doing it, most people don't even know there even is such a feature, much less that it can be shared :)

As for judgmental: nothing wrong with that; we all are. I am referring to pre-judgment, judging a book by its cover rather than its contents. :P

If you put sparkly vampires on the cover there is no chance I will ever read it, just saying ....

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Either way, it does work. I've received gifts from total strangers, and I mean from people who didn't't even chat with me. I think it would only feel "sugar baby-ish" if you put expensive stuff in there. I limit it to 200L or less type stuff, usually 50L-99L so I try to show that I'm not the greedy sort.

I don't really think this is bad.

In fact I may try adding a profile wishlist on an alt to see what she can get. If I can add some kind of gacha element it would be perfect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I'd find it a bit offputting.

I get this. I think I'd find it offputting too to see this on someone's profile front page, or maybe even in their picks. Maybe?

But, again, so much of this is cultural and contextual, I think. Within the last week, I have been sent gifts -- utterly unprompted and unasked-for -- by three different people on this forum (including, I should note, Alyona!). On the "vanity threads," there has developed a sort of low-level culture of generosity in which, occasionally, someone will just decide to be nice to someone else. For no particular reason that I know of, this has been my week to be a recipient of other people's kindness and generosity. I don't "need" their generosity -- I am reasonably well-off in SL terms -- and I certainly would never consider asking for or hinting at it, but that's sort of the point: this isn't charity (which would be fine too) or a response to neediness or greed. It's just, essentially, a case of random acts of niceness. And that, I think to some degree, is an offshoot of the particular kind of community that has developed in the vanity threads: it must surely be the most supportive, community-oriented, and drama-free zone in these forums.

Now, I don't have a "wishlist." One simple reason is that putting one together just seems like work: I don't "browse" or "window" shop very often, so I don't really have a list, notional or real, of things I've seen that I wish I owned. Fortunately, the friends who have sent me gifts know me pretty well, and have very good taste, but I can entirely see the utility, from the perspective of the gift-giver, of having access to some sort of list that assisted them in their generosity.

So, yeah -- I'd probably look a bit askance at someone who was too up-front about their wishlist, or their willingness to act as recipient for someone else's generosity. But such a list can mean more than one thing, and in particular contexts, can actually assist in knitting together a community of really nice people.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Word repetition. Damn it, where's that coffee!
  • Like 3

I put a few things on my wishlist on occasion, in case I want to purchase something later. I don't advertise it in any way though. It's just easier than having a half million tabs open in my browser for things I might want to get later.

Cat occasionally sneaks on there and buys me something, though.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Now, I don't have a "wishlist." One simple reason is that putting one together just seems like work: I don't "browse" or "window" shop very often, so I don't really have a list, notional or real, of things I've seen that I wish I owned.

Do I need to badger you too?  I have to with Orwar and Pyara, so I can randomly go in there and buy stuff that they've already indicated they want.  Wishlists are great, especially during the holidays.  I can go in,  get all my "shopping" done and not question if the person will like it or not. 

I browse the MP a LOT. duh. lol  So, mine is pretty extensive. 
I don't see anything wrong with having it listed in your profile.  If some random person wants to buy you something from there, let them.  If you're going to judge someone, based on their wishlist, just them from the contents of their wishlist, not that they have it in their profile. 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.