Would a ‘Trick or Treat’ Hunt be allowable under the covenant?

Trinity Blakewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1704 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Since the traditional homes are in a surburban environment, I think it would be really fun to have our own version of Trick or Treating on Halloween....a Trick or Treat Hunt. Maybe a special pumpkin people could place on their doorsteps if they were participating?

But I do have some questions about whether or not certain things could be in covenant. If a SL Createor that sells their wares in the marketplace or elsewhere in-world put out a pumpkin, I guess their prize would be ok as long as it was free. But what if they included a notecard or landmark to their store? What if those weren’t allowed, but there was a website that listed the vendors and their store locations?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Neat'o idea, though I'm not sure it would work. With the predominant paranoia for security orbs throughout SL and very much so on Bellisseria, it would be more like "grief or ban" that "trick or treat". LOL 

Well presumably those people who have security orbs would not want to participate...

I'm pretty sure it'd be fine as long as an element of advertising wasn't with the "treats". I'd totally participate, maybe have the pumpkins or whatever by the door with a little flashing light on top so it'd be easy to tell which homes were part of it  I think any LM or notecard or even website connected would make it a commercial venture. Keeping it just for fun is best. If someone likes what they got, they can find a store easily enough.

Edited by Morena Tully
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

Neat'o idea, though I'm not sure it would work. With the predominant paranoia for security orbs throughout SL and very much so on Bellisseria, it would be more like "grief or ban" that "trick or treat". LOL 

53 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

Well presumably those people who have security orbs would not want to participate...

Or at least maybe turn them off until the hunt is over ... I know i would !!!

Can we maybe not assume that people with security orbs are crabby mean old unsociable farts that won't participate?

Because I don't have a security orb, but I'm a crabby mean old unsociable fart that (probably maybe) won't participate.

People are all kinds of different, yo.

dcab7c3-b2c9b8d7-0c13-4f2d-9d89-5657feba72bf.gif.aec85c0134b4db8ba47b6d9056b7263f.gif

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Can we maybe not assume that people with security orbs are crabby mean old unsociable farts that won't participate?

Because I don't have a security orb, but I'm a crabby mean old unsociable fart that (probably maybe) won't participate.

People are all kinds of different, yo.

... And take me for instance. I have no security on my houseboat and welcome strangers dropping in, but I have a  build platform where I do my scripting and light building, and as much as I like visitors on my boat, I HATE it when someone drops in on me on my platform where I am building. So I have set up my LL security system there, so that I can work in relative peace without many distractions.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Trinity1776 said:

So maybe an external website listing the prizes with creator name and marketplace url/slurp would not violate the covenant?

I have a feeling it still would. Just about anything that relates to stores is walking on thin ice. You can always try to contact a Linden, or maybe one will answer here, just to know for sure. I think plenty of creators would gladly donate things without needing advertisement of some sort or even recognition. I have a few things already in mind, and I don't even have a store.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Trinity1776 said:

So maybe an external website listing the prizes with creator name and marketplace url/slurp would not violate the covenant?

It might not, I can't really say.  But IMHO it would violate the spirit of the covenant.  

I think a hunt is a good idea.  I'd love it if there were participants all over Belli, so that it encouraged exploration. 

The recent scavenger hunt was a lot of fun, and it gave away a limited number of prizes, with a minimum of advertising.  Look, if you get something nice, certainly you can look up the creator and go to the store in their profile, nobody's stopping you.   So it's not like people picking up things NEED a landmark or marketplace SLURL.

Also, I think it would be perfectly fine for people to put nice gacha things in their treats.  Perhaps the hunt object should have a script that deletes the object when someone picks up a nocopy item.  Easy to write.

And people who don't have stores may want to put out their own things that they made, an add-on for example.  So, my vote is, no "creator list" or advertising on external websites for Belli hunts.

• Like 2

One of my favorite holidays is Halloween. My search for our costumes begin the day after Halloween for the next year. I bought my costume yesterday. Hubby and daughter's costumes will soon follow! I'm not a fanatic or anything. Really....

Not all people are creators which is one problem I see with a hunt because it limits who can actually take part in the gifting side of things. I am not a creator so wouldn't take part in a hunt, but if a traditional trick or treat expedition were set up, our security orb would be turned off for the day and lots of bowls of candy would be set out for people to come and get as well as a tons of decorations would be up. Like perhaps set up a list of participating houses that wish to set out treats for others or something. 

I would simply love to take our daughter trick or treating and to share a little bit of spooky fun with the community. I know it might sound silly to most since she is a Zooby animesh little one, but there it is. 

Just my thoughts.  😊

• Like 4

If this is allowed under the covenant, a Bellisseria 'Trick o' Treat' sign could be placed out front of the homes that are participating.  I like the idea of a pumpkin or bowl of candy object hosting the gift treat. Treats could also be simple, like a wearable candy, balloon, hat, etc so non creators could participate as well.  😉

Edited by PrudenceAnton
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, LyricalBookworm said:

One of my favorite holidays is Halloween. My search for our costumes begin the day after Halloween for the next year. I bought my costume yesterday. Hubby and daughter's costumes will soon follow! I'm not a fanatic or anything. Really....

Not all people are creators which is one problem I see with a hunt because it limits who can actually take part in the gifting side of things. I am not a creator so wouldn't take part in a hunt, but if a traditional trick or treat expedition were set up, our security orb would be turned off for the day and lots of bowls of candy would be set out for people to come and get as well as a tons of decorations would be up. Like perhaps set up a list of participating houses that wish to set out treats for others or something. 

I would simply love to take our daughter trick or treating and to share a little bit of spooky fun with the community. I know it might sound silly to most since she is a Zooby animesh little one, but there it is. 

Just my thoughts.  😊

I do believe there are creators that  have items that give objects for Halloween that non creators could put out on their porches as well. i.e. candy, candy apples, etc.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, PrudenceAnton said:

I do believe there are creators that  have items that give objects for Halloween that non creators could put out on their porches as well. i.e. candy, candy apples, etc.

Yes I know,  which is what I said I would do a bit unclearly perhaps in my post.

• Like 4

Hamster loves the idea of trick or treating ... a hunt sounds fun too but might be tricky and get complicated. And yup, there are MANY items on MP that are interactive for halloween ... We could decorate our yards and put bowls of treats out. Would be so much fun to see teeeny hoomans in their costumes, finally others the same height as me! We could do a sign up sheet, a poster and before Halloweeny... a post here that says which region names have people participating. Or sumfin like that. 

• Like 3

I love the idea of celebrating Halloween in a more traditional sense than we do over here in real life (it's not really a thing in Australia, but we're slowly starting to adopt it), and I certainly think decorating homes or dressing up would be something the Lindens and Moles could get behind as it helps foster this sense of community spirit that they've worked so long to get up and running. But as for anything else... I think its a bit of a grey area. Maybe a hunt wouldn't break the covenant rules but its certainly open to "interpretation" and abuse by others looking to capitalize in one form or another.

Having yard decorations, or dressing up in costume and wandering the streets, or having bowls of free candy or free items that people can click on I think would be perfectly acceptable and something anyone could do. Even having something like the present Travelers HUD like the one from the Bellisseria Community group so people can TP from participating house to house might be fine providing there's no hint of advertising. But the issue is more on policing than anything else. How do you enforce rules and deal with rule breakers, etc? 

As for security that should be simple enough. Some sort of yard sign like there is for the Parade of Homes would indicate to the general visitor who's participating and who's not - of course it won't stop the odd few from wandering into places that don't display but we get that now at present too. I'm not entirely sure I personally would participate in a hunt per se (and I blame MadPea games for burning me out! XD) but I would most certainly enjoy participating in festivities, if only visiting homes to "trick or treat".

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

Maybe I should have waited until November to abandon my Belli house... :(

Try not to second guess your decision.   I read your goodbye post and I think you made the best decision for you.  A person doesn't want to feel stifled or not have enough room to do what they want.  You can still participate in this event too and still be part of the community at any time :).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, karynmaria said:

Try not to second guess your decision.   I read your goodbye post and I think you made the best decision for you.  A person doesn't want to feel stifled or not have enough room to do what they want.  You can still participate in this event too and still be part of the community at any time :).

Well, I can't put out a Trick or Treat gift, because I don't have anywhere in Belli to put it.

But yes you're right, I do think I made the right decision (I was mostly joking with my last post). I live in an actual castle now! Can't do that in Belliseria can ya?  xD

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1704 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.