Noob seeking help

beeskness88

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1705 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey guys I've heard of 2nd life for a while and never thought I'd get into it but why not. I'm an experienced gamer on ps4 console so gaming is completely foreign to me. However I have no clue how to work this game or what I'm supposed to do. Any help would be grateful. Thanks and hope you all are having a wonderful day. 

• Like 1

Welcome to SL Beesknees:)  We were all new to SL at one time so remember being a Noob is not a bad thing.  Being an experienced gamer on ps4 should help you also as you learn Second Life.   One of the things also that might help you is there are experienced  members of the SL community who enjoy helping new SL members with things like avatar appearance, exploring sims, finding friends, etc.   I have heard from many Noobs who told me that they have an experienced SL member helping them with their avatar, buying clothes, looking for free stuff, and on and on.   Do not be afraid to reach out to people who have been on SL for years for help.  It is a welcoming community to new folks learning the ropes😊

• Like 2

7 hours ago, beeskness88 said:

Hey guys I've heard of 2nd life for a while and never thought I'd get into it but why not. I'm an experienced gamer on ps4 console so gaming is completely foreign to me. However I have no clue how to work this game or what I'm supposed to do. Any help would be grateful. Thanks and hope you all are having a wonderful day. 

Hi there BeesKnees! 

SL isn't a game per se so it helps if you try not to look at it as one. It is a creative platform with social aspects. 

This article is an old one from 2007 but it still gives you the gist of what SL is about.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/17538999/ns/technology_and_science-games/t/if-second-life-isnt-game-what-it/#.XVTEeOhKiUk

Welcome to SL! I hope you enjoy your time here. :D

• Like 6

When I started in SL I was surprised how many people offered to help me (I guess, I was looking like a bit lost, lol). And those are the great moments of SL: to realize, that there are a lot friendly people around you. 

Thankful for the help I got as a noob, I am now trying my best, to help other „noobs“. So if you have questions, don‘t hesitate to IM me and ask me!

Edited by VanillaLovelace
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, VanillaLovelace said:

When I started in SL I was surprised how many people offered to help me (I guess, I was looking like a bit lost, lol). And those are the great moments of SL: to realize, that there are a lot friendly people around you. 

Thankful for the help I got as a noob, I am now trying my best, to help other „noobs“. So if you have questions, don‘t hesitate to IM me and ask me!

Or me... very happy to help any newbie.

Best advice....SL isn't a game by normal standards, its a life.

So take your time, explore, go with the flow and suddenly who you are here and what your life is, becomes clear. :)

• Like 6

19 hours ago, beeskness88 said:

I have no clue how to work this game or what I'm supposed to do.

It's different things to different people.  Many people like to enjoy the social aspect so to them SL is a chat engine.  Many people like the wide range of styles and love to dress up their avatars.  Many people like the music scene and will go to clubs, visit live music venues or even learn to DJ and work at a club.

There are no quests.  There is no grinding for gold* or levels.  It is much more a virtual life than a traditional game.  That said, there are places role play if you are interested in that.  It is more open-ended where writing skills are developed rather than fight for exp, tho.

What are some of your real life interests?  You can search in world for groups to join that share those interests or you can always ask here where to find ... whatever. 

------------------------------
* SL uses L$ that are bought with real money.  Grinding for lindens is called having a real life job :D

• Like 4

On 8/14/2019 at 9:04 PM, beeskness88 said:

I have no clue how to work this game or what I'm supposed to do

Yay! Join the club! Most of us that are in here for years are still at that same point of cluelessness! We are having fun though.

Don't see SL as a game, there is no "goal" in SL, no game to play. It is a virtual world and is what you make of it, mostly a social and creative experience, exploring, fashion, creating, whatever. 

22 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

There is no grinding for gold* or levels.

Well, there is grinding for money, but that's a different kind of grinding I guess :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Hi, @beeskness88!  Welcome to Second Life.

As pretty much everyone here will tell you, SL isn't a "game" in the way you're used to thinking of them.  It's a 3D virtual world where you go to...well, live a life.  Just like real life, you can do whatever you want here.  You can meet people, fall in love, fall out of love, go dancing, drive or fly or sail a vehicle, go scuba diving, skydiving, hiking.  You can attend a live music performance, or a play.  Or watch TV (ugh!).  You can buy land, build a house on it, furnish it, landscape it.  Or your house can be under the water, or up in the air.  You can create original content (clothes, buildings, plants, jewelry...anything at all!) and start a business to sell it.

You yourself can also be anything you like.  A handsome man, a beautiful woman, a child.  Or an animal, or a fantasy creature.  Be a mermaid, a dragon, a tiny faerie, an ugly troll.  Heck, you can be a coffee table.

If you like, there are also games WITHIN Second Life.  You can join a roleplaying group, a vampire clan, or a hockey team.  There are sailboat races, and pirate ship wars.  There's tennis, golf, and table games like chess, go, and some that are unique to SL like Greedy Greedy.

All this unstructured freedom is wonderful, but it's unsettling to people used to being told "what to do" by the structured rules of computer games.  It also comes with a hidden cost...performance.  Pretty much everything you see was created by residents...other people just like you...not professional modelers and game developers.  So don't expect anything like the high frame rates you're used to in other games.

One thing you DO need to do is learn the user interface (the various menus and commands), and how to do basic things like open boxes that contain things, and alter your avatar's appearance, and communicate and get around from place to place.  The Quick Start Guide can be of help.  Also, there are several resident-run groups in world that have tutorials and even live helpers to answer your questions.  NCI, New Resident Island, Firestorm Help Island, and Caledon Oxbridge University are all worth visiting.

• Like 4

Please, please make sure that you know the basics.  I have helped a couple people now and it's a bit frustrating to have to teach them how to right click.  At the very least go through the tutorials when you first come in and read some basic guides.  I do love helping people but I don't want to give you a six hour lesson on flying, teleporting and how to open a box.  That's just me and after I wrote that it sounds kinda bitchy but it's honest. 

3 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

That's better than being a fly on the wall. At least you don't get swatted. 

On second thought, maybe not. Coffee tables tend to get smashed when the two of you fall off the couch... 

Or when the builder misses his footing and comes through the ceiling. A glass topped oval coffee table makes a perfect landing strip........

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

Hi beeskness88!

Welcome to Second Life.

Second Life isn't a game with a start and end, and goals to meet or achievements to obtain, like there in games like World of Warcraft, or Mario Kart, or Diablo, etc.  

Second Life is a Virtual World where your avatar is a representation of you, yourself.  This can be you today, or last week, or next decade or it can also be that little part inside of you that has always wanted to be a cat, or dog, or unicorn, or even a 3000 year old dragon that breathes fire.

You can hang out in clubs, dancing and chatting while a DJ spins tunes and hosts a dance contest, or sit on a towel on beach with a cool drink and a massive floppy hat. 

There are various Communities that you can join that are dedicated to Police Officers,  Firefighters, Motorcycles, Car Racing, Boating & Sailing, or just a local Neighborhood where you can attend a BBQ and chat with others along with almost any other group of like minded people that can be found in and around your local state or country. 

If you like the idea of creating things yourself, you can learn to make avatars, clothing, buildings, cars, and even animals and pets. 

If I could go back in time and give myself 1 piece of advice on the day I downloaded and logged into Second Life the first time, it would be this, don't be afraid to explore everything.  I logged into Second Life, looked around, and felt lost.  I didn't log back in for about 3 months, but since then, I haven't left, and that was more than 10 years ago.

If you are unsure where to start, check out the Upcoming Events and Activities  forum where you can find things that are going on in world. Even if it might not be something that you are 100% interested in, I would recommend attending at least a few of them.  You will be able to see what different places look like and meet other users who are there. 

If you have specific interests, you can post them in this thread and others will be able to offer suggestions and locations that you can visit.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

and when he is not a doormat, he is a tiny kitten, pretty much the same view.

Before mesh bodies I never worried about it because no bits. Now mesh bodies come with (more or less) and I have to remember to make sure nothing can be seen from below. AS if women don't have enough of that kind of stuff to worry about in RL, now we have to deal with the same crap in SL only worse. System bodies do have a few advantages.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

System bodies do have a few advantages.

Though back in my premesh days. I was dancing at this club in a G rated area, wearing a very respectable dress, but the dance animation included some high kicks, and I suddenly found myself flying as i got ejected from the club for being indecent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Talligurl said:

Though back in my premesh days. I was dancing at this club in a G rated area, wearing a very respectable dress, but the dance animation included some high kicks, and I suddenly found myself flying as i got ejected from the club for being indecent.

Wait... what? before 2012 (?) when mesh bodies came out (Maitreya's Lara was 2014) some club booted you for being indecent doing high kicks in a dress? Wow. People think I'm a prude. That beats me by a few thousand miles. Seems I have good reason not to associate with many people. RL or SL. ffs. That was just... petty.

6 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Wait... what? before 2012 (?) when mesh bodies came out (Maitreya's Lara was 2014) some club booted you for being indecent doing high kicks in a dress? Wow. People think I'm a prude. That beats me by a few thousand miles. Seems I have good reason not to associate with many people. RL or SL. ffs. That was just... petty.

No, not before SL had mesh, just before I had it. So I suppose they had had issues with girls with mesh bodies and that particular animation, and so they were not taking any chances.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Talligurl said:

No, not before SL had mesh, just before I had it. So I suppose they had had issues with girls with mesh bodies and that particular animation, and so they were not taking any chances.

Either way, if you got no warning or no one bothered to get you into IMs to talk to you about it... it was still a petty act, although possibly one induced by panic. Which makes the club look even worse. BS like this is why I gave up on clubs years ago, RL and SL, including owning and operating. In SL they are a losing proposition for the owner. Clubs in SL do not make a profit, contrary to what club owners want you to believe. They lose money.

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

it was still a petty act

Well at least I wasn't banned, after I hit the ground I could walk right back in. I have had other situations where I was banned from the sim.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Male friend got kicked out for standing around wearing a kilt properly. Someone had to cam carefully to look. 🤷‍♂️

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1705 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.