Why is there a Prim Imbalance on Parcels?

Rob Huntsman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1688 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I noticed some of the mainland for sale you can own 1024 acres that you can own with DOUBLE the prims at 702.

FaaBHvO.jpg

Whereas most of these parcels only offer 351 amount of prims for 1024 acres of land.

WYRaes8.jpg

Why is there a imbalance for 1024 acres land... And why isn't this mentioned for premium members trying to buy land. If this is the case then "Area" isn't as important people would rather care more about Parcel Capacity in firestorm search...

Edited by Haselden

1 hour ago, Haselden said:

Why is there a imbalance for 1024 acres land... And why isn't this mentioned for premium members trying to buy land.

I agree that it should be mentioned in the land for sale search results but the areas with double prim parcels are:

• Bay City
  • Nautilus
  • Horizons
  • At least some parts of Zindra

If this is the case then "Area" isn't as important people would rather care more about Parcel Capacity in firestorm search...

To some users it is but not to most. I speak from experience here. I'm running some rentals where I let people choose how many prims they want (and are willing to pay for). If you want 2000 prims for a 64 m2 parcel, that's all fine by me. In reality the vast majority of the renters need less not more prims than they would have had with a standard inflexible prim/area ratio. I had to assign a few parcels to stacks of skyboxes just to put some of the spare prims to good use.

It's also worth noticing how popular homesteads sims with drastically reduced prim limits are.

The double prim parcels also come with several limitations that make them less attractive to the average users. One is that since the prim limit for the sim as a whole is the same, more than half the sim is assigned to low prim public space - streets, parks etc. Most of them have flat featureless ground that can't be terraformed and they are usually designed for one specific theme. In Bay City people even tend to follow the theme.

• Like 1

Any area in SL where there is mainland that is highly sought after in preference to other land is going to be more expensive not just double-prim mainland.
If you look along the Blake Sea coast, protected sail-able water parcels are much higher priced than those without sea access.

Water access is actually a big thing in SL (as you may know and as will likely continue to be) and if you look where Bellisseria connects to Jeogeot, there are protected 1024sqm water parcels with ordinary prim allowances that are nearly as much as some double-prim parcels in Nautilus City.

I have observed that desirable parcels like these do sell, some quickly despite the eye-watering price, some take longer despite being more reasonable by comparison.  It is the desirability of the parcel that determines this more than anything and that can include several aspects of the parcel for each person.  So it isn't just double-prim parcels.

Prices have definitely dipped in some areas I have an interest in, probably due to the Bellisseria effect and especially if you don't want to hang around for a while.  Double-prim parcels attract the land-flippers and this can make the prices seem a lot higher than ordinary people may manage to sell at but that is the case all over mainland, not just the double-prim areas.  Double-prim does sell though, I know because I sold two double-prim parcels myself in July that were lower than land-flipper prices but way higher than single-prim land.

Double-prim land is also interesting as can change the dynamic for owning the prim allowance of a parcel 2048 on for a one off payment.
Look at this equivalence comparison costs for a year:

1 x 1024sqm double-prim mainland: 1 x Premium sub + Parcel purchase cost.  In the second year you pay only the premium sub.
2 x 1024sqm regular mainland: 1 x Premium sub + USD 84 extra tier + Parcel purchase cost or 2 x Premium subs + Parcel purchase cost (group ownership) AND to be truly equivalent you need to find those 2 x 1024sqm in the same sim to share the allowance between the plots.  In the second year you pay either two premium subs or a premium sub plus USD 84 all over again.

This is perhaps the not so obvious reason why they can be attractive.  Some people do not like recurring costs and seek to minimise them even if that means there are eye-watering one-off costs upfront.  Different folks, different strokes.

Double-prim parcels most often come with 2 sides of protected land - in fact I cannot think of any parcels that don't have that.  Double-prim parcels have a consistent theme for at least the protected areas, the themes textures and often buildings are available freely, and as part of the theme there can be quests or hidden treasures, etc. Some double-prim areas have an active community too.  All of this increases their desirability to the right people.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Haselden said:

And why isn't this mentioned for premium members trying to buy land. 

As others have pointed out, double-prim Mainland will be plenty expensive enough that nobody will buy it by accident, not realizing it's double-prim. I suppose it couldn't hurt to make sure every buyer of regular Mainland also knows about double-prim land, but it does get mentioned in at least some guides to land buying. (It's actually more complicated on Estates than on Mainland; indeed, some Estate owners have been known to overcommit the Object Bonus factor that underlies double and other prim densities.)

1 hour ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Double-prim parcels most often come with 2 sides of protected land - in fact I cannot think of any parcels that don't have that. 

I have a parcel in Pengallen Bridge on Zindra that has only one protected side (a road). That's an exceptional region for several reasons, but I suspect there are others with similar parcels, especially on Zindra, where some double-prim land is spread around in unexpected locations, and where some of it is even terraformable and allows join & split.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

1 x 1024sqm double-prim mainland: 1 x Premium sub + Parcel purchase cost.  In the second year you pay only the premium sub.

Don't forget that the premium sub comes with 15,600 L$/year of stipend too so the actual extra tier cost only amounts to about 10,000 L$/year. On top of that, with two premiums you can also have 200 m2 extra group bonus tier. You can get 100 m2 group bonus on top of a 1024 tier too of course but there's nothing you can actually use it for in a double prim sim.

@Haselden,

Yep, parcels in the Horizons regions (and some other areas of the Mainland, as previous posters have noted) have a double prim allowance.  This also makes their asking prices quite high.  Horizons parcels start at around $L40,000.

The owner of any region can apply a "prim bonus factor" to parts of her region.  You can find private estate regions where the estate owner has done this, so you don't have to be on Mainland to see the phenomenon.  You can see whether a bonus factor has been used by looking at About Land, in the Objects tab.

When some land in a region is given more prims by means of the bonus factor, other parts of the region have to pay the price.  In effect, the region owner takes prims away from some of the land to apply them to other parts of the land.

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

When some land in a region is given more prims by means of the bonus factor, other parts of the region have to pay the price.  In effect, the region owner takes prims away from some of the land to apply them to other parts of the land.

Which, according to LL, is the only way they could increase prim count.

By not actually increasing them, just changed the formula and called it land impact instead so later on they could make it look like they were increasing overall prim count from 15k to 30k so that region owners would feel like they are getting twice the bang for their buck when they really aren't.

Never made a bit of sense to me. Robbing from Peter to pay Paul. Gotta love LL! Or we'd all gtfo.

3 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Which, according to LL, is the only way they could increase prim count.

By not actually increasing them, just changed the formula and called it land impact instead so later on they could make it look like they were increasing overall prim count from 15k to 30k so that region owners would feel like they are getting twice the bang for their buck when they really aren't.

Never made a bit of sense to me. Robbing from Peter to pay Paul. Gotta love LL! Or we'd all gtfo.

That's because "prims" aren't created equal. A box has much less of an impact on the system than a torus does, for instance. That's all the recalculation represents.

And, by the way, if you link them into groups and change their physics type to "convex hull," you can put 60,000 box prims on a 30,000 land impact region if you so choose.

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

@Haselden,

Yep, parcels in the Horizons regions (and some other areas of the Mainland, as previous posters have noted) have a double prim allowance.  This also makes their asking prices quite high.  Horizons parcels start at around $L40,000.

The owner of any region can apply a "prim bonus factor" to parts of her region.  You can find private estate regions where the estate owner has done this, so you don't have to be on Mainland to see the phenomenon.  You can see whether a bonus factor has been used by looking at About Land, in the Objects tab.

Well setting up a homestead region is even more expensive about 100k+..Would make more sense just to sell more of these Double prim regions instead of very rarely... 

Like I'm fine paying the 40k one time then upgrading to premium, the problem is they're not selling more right now just all 351 regions now.

Edited by Haselden

Well setting up a homestead region is even more expensive about 100k+..Would make more sense just to sell more of these Double prim regions instead of very rarely... 

Like I'm fine paying the 40k one time then upgrading to premium, the problem is they're not selling more right now just all 351 regions now.

You're not looking at regions, you're looking at parcels. Regions are all 256 by 256 square meters and are divided up into smaller parcels.

Think of it like cookie dough. A "region" is a full batch of dough.

Every batch you make has 2 cups of chocolate chips in it.

Most regions are set up like brownies - all the chocolate is spread out equally.

In a region set up for double-prim parcels, though, it's like a batch of chocolate chip cookies. Some places will be very chocolaty, and the rest of the area will be not very chocolaty at all.

What someone who's renting/selling double-prim lots is doing is renting/selling people the chocolate chips, but that means they can't rent/sell the cookie part because there's not enough chocolate to go around.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I have a parcel in Pengallen Bridge on Zindra that has only one protected side (a road). That's an exceptional region for several reasons, but I suspect there are others with similar parcels, especially on Zindra, where some double-prim land is spread around in unexpected locations, and where some of it is even terraformable and allows join & split.

That's why I said "most often" :D There almost always are exceptions, except when there isn't of course :|

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Don't forget that the premium sub comes with 15,600 L$/year of stipend too so the actual extra tier cost only amounts to about 10,000 L$/year. On top of that, with two premiums you can also have 200 m2 extra group bonus tier. You can get 100 m2 group bonus on top of a 1024 tier too of course but there's nothing you can actually use it for in a double prim sim.

I didn't.  Premium subs and the L$ that you get back to offset their cost have been thrashed out so many times before. So I just wanted to stick with concrete upfront and ongoing costs to get my meaning across in a simpler manner.  Those L$ amounts are not the same for everyone nor are they actually savings for everyone.  Some just people spend them.  Everything I did mention stay the same for all concerned.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1688 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.