Texture animation reverses on zoom

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Some keyframe animations look wrong at some zoom levels. Known bug.

Tends to show up for distant rotating signs. It also sometimes affects my escalators. Here's a really strange situation. When you zoom in, the stair motion reverses. Strangely, it reverses for both the angled steps, which are keyframe motion, and for the flat steps at the top, which are simple texture animation.

This is Firestorm, but it's known to appear in the Linden viewer, too. I can't update the JIRA because the bug report was merged into another bug, which I can't comment upon.

This appears to be at the crossroads of several difficult to debug problems. It's clear KFM has strange behaviors of its own* as does cel texture animation. Specifically, though, that zooming-in effect on the texture animation suggests a possible interaction with LoD decay and an errant UV map at some LoD level. (It's probably not that, but if these objects are mesh, it may be worth checking.)

This is an optical illusion. The further away an object is, the less often the viewer runs its animations (to save trying to make what will be very small changes in distant objects). When animations loop, the updates can end up looking backwards for the same reason that a fan viewed with a strobe light will look like it's running in reverse at some strobe frequencies.

• Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

You just got the chinese version of an escalator.

I ARE CHINESE. I dunna' appreciate your comment as stated. Fortunately I am mature enough to not take such things personally, so I use this as an edification opportunity to ask that you be a little more sensitive when applying an idea toward entire swaths of and ethnicity.

That is all.

Edited by Alyona Su

1 minute ago, Alyona Su said:

I ARE CHINESE. I dunna' appreciate your comment as stated. Fortunately I am mature enough to not take such things personally, so I use this as an edification opportunity to ask that you be a little more sensitive when applying an idea toward entire swaths of and ethnicity.

That is all.

I complement your sense of humor, beauty, and grace.

3 hours ago, Oz Linden said:

This is an optical illusion. The further away an object is, the less often the viewer runs its animations (to save trying to make what will be very small changes in distant objects). When animations loop, the updates can end up looking backwards for the same reason that a fan viewed with a strobe light will look like it's running in reverse at some strobe frequencies.

That might make sense at distance. But this is reversing in close-up. The zoomed-out version is correct. The zoomed-in version is wrong.

Knowing that the viewer changes animation speed with distance is useful. Now we know where to look for the bug.

6 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

This appears to be at the crossroads of several difficult to debug problems. It's clear KFM has strange behaviors of its own* as does cel texture animation. Specifically, though, that zooming-in effect on the texture animation suggests a possible interaction with LoD decay and an errant UV map at some LoD level. (It's probably not that, but if these objects are mesh, it may be worth checking.)

This all mesh object has two LOD models, and the lower one is different enough from the close-up that this isn't the problem.

(I'd post a picture, but Vallone sim is offline right now.)

14 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

That is all.

Unlike Love im not that sure, if your comment is meant to be serious or not. But as much as i remember, you have acted quite relaxed when we talked about rain dance and tulips.
In fact, after i have seen several videos of chinese escalators, im slightly afraid of them in general.

@animats

Your video first shows both escalators. The left one with the black handrail goes downwards, the right one with woodgrain handrail goes up.
Then you zoom into the black one, and it still goes downwards. Nothing changed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

@animats

Your video first shows both escalators. The left one with the black handrail goes downwards, the right one with woodgrain handrail goes up.
Then you zoom into the black one, and it still goes downwards. Nothing changed.

You are completely right. When I zoomed in, I got the down escalator. No bug. My bad.

7 hours ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Unlike Love im not that sure, if your comment is meant to be serious or not.

If you cannot figure it out then I will be blunt: your comment was offensive to me and my race. Stop it. There, serious enough? I can show you a video of an American anything and call it Chinese and vice-versa. So, no excuse there. As for rain dances or anything else, multiple cultures perform those, etc.

I don't "slum" on any specific race or culture, period. Specific people, maybe, but not the entire race or culture; It's too broad a brush. You *could* have said "Some escalators in China" and it would mean something entirely DIFFERENT than "Chinese escalators." Words have meaning, how they are arranged gives context to that meaning. I'm sure you meant the former and not the latter, so I am saying you need to consider the phrasing of your thoughts a lot more carefully.

Edited by Alyona Su

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

If you cannot figure it out then I will be blunt: your comment was offensive to me and my race. Stop it. There, serious enough? I can show you a video of an American anything and call it Chinese and vice-versa. So, no excuse there. As for rain dances or anything else, multiple cultures perform those, etc.

I don't "slum" on any specific race or culture, period. Specific people, maybe, but not the entire race or culture; It's too broad a brush. You *could* have said "Some escalators in China" and it would mean something entirely DIFFERENT than "Chinese escalators." Words have meaning, how they are arranged gives context to that meaning. I'm sure you meant the former and not the latter, so I am saying you need to consider the phrasing of your thoughts a lot more carefully.

Every thinkable answer i want to give you, would erode your paperthin skin even more...
Keep calm, no harm done.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.