Why do we need a 'security system'?

Anna Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1690 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Aethelwine said:

I am bothered because your interpretation of the rules along with enforcement would have widespread consequences restricting what is now a normal use of land. It would amount to one step forwards and two back.

I don't think people should be advised they need to use orbs and privacy settings, that it is sufficient to just use a skybox, perhaps with a group access teleporter for access. If people want to do more to restrict their privacy then that is fine too, but it is the suggestion that others have to comply that I find dangerous.

OK YOU WIN YOU GET THE LAST WORD. xD

WTDnnwE.gif.825f2501424afe66c9fd15ab03d2a587.gif

ETA: I never said what others should do. I said what I do. Reading comprehension is important!

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

OK YOU WIN YOU GET THE LAST WORD. xD

WTDnnwE.gif.825f2501424afe66c9fd15ab03d2a587.gif

ETA: I never said what others should do. I said what I do. Reading comprehension is important!

In the post I responded to it said nothing about what you do, you presented an interpretation of the rules stating that it is Linden Lab requirement that an orb is used for any adult activity.

I am not sure the meaning you intend by using the laughing emote throughout this thread at my posts after the first one, but I find it hard to avoid the perception it is intended to be both very aggressive and rude. If that wasn't your intention, you might want to reconsider how you use them.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Aethelwine said:

I am not sure the meaning you intend by using the laughing emote throughout this thread at my posts after the first one, but I find it hard to avoid the perception it is intended to be both very aggressive and rude. If that wasn't your intention, you might want to reconsider how you use them.

Sure, and some might consider it rude that you continue to carry on your one-sided argument instead of just letting it go. You might want to reconsider your own aggressive approach (since we are handing out advice here!).

ETA: There is no secret meaning to my laughter. I find your posts amusing!

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn

Stupid question but here's my two cents worth, two people walked into my LL home, trolled me by using my bed while I was stood there in the same room. The statement made that states orbs are to have power over people is ludicrous. LL home owner's pay real money to have the perks that are offered one of those is a home, so that becomes our private space for us to spend time with people we want to spend time with or just be alone, choices we make and an extension to this is using a security system .. Key word "choices" something that everyone is entitled to.

• Like 10

12 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I am an estate manager so might know a little bit about it. :)   The definition very clearly states you can only allow a specific group to have access. Just because people don't follow the rules doesn't mean the rules do not exist.

Abnor actually commented that if you've set the parcel so that people can't see in from outside the parcel and whatever your are doing is inside the home or skybox, then if someone does happen to wander in and see something, that is their fault not yours and any AR would likely end up in the trash. 

You really don't have to have a security orb kicking people out.  It wouldn't work for the first 15-20 seconds anyway, so folks still have time to see all sorts of things.

By the same token, anyone that wants to use an orb has every right to use them, both on the ground and in a skybox.  I'm just saying that you really don't HAVE to in order to comply with the rules.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Abnor actually commented that if you've set the parcel so that people can't see in from outside the parcel and whatever your are doing is inside the home or skybox, then if someone does happen to wander in and see something, that is their fault not yours and any AR would likely end up in the trash. 

You really don't have to have a security orb kicking people out.  It wouldn't work for the first 15-20 seconds anyway, so folks still have time to see all sorts of things.

By the same token, anyone that wants to use an orb has every right to use them, both on the ground and in a skybox.  I'm just saying that you really don't HAVE to in order to comply with the rules.

I prefer to use one because the statement in the official wiki says what it says, and I choose to go strictly by what it says, but I appreciate the reminder about Abnor's opinion on the topic.  :)

(And before anyone fires the debate up again, let me state again that I am not saying that anyone else should do as I do! lol)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

I've just opened the forums and already found the silliest topic of the day. 

People want it because they do. Simple as that. No other explanation needed. 

I don't use any security on my land unless it's sexy time, and even then I wouldn't use it if it wasn't for the rules, but that's me and I'm quite the exhibitionist. Others aren't, and that's their prerogative and I respect them for it. 

I"m not sure how respectful you are of other people's style of... I hate the word "play" in terms of using SL, but anyway...  

To turn your words back on you, you need to understand that your use of SL isn't the only valid style of use. There is a whole community of folks who wish to be left alone, are happy to explore on the vast amounts of public land if they feel the need to explore, and these, well, expletive deleted wanderers cause serious issues for folks trying to mind their own business and enjoy SL the way that they enjoy. 

See how that works? 

Nope. The wiki is perfectly clear about how adult activities need to be conducted on moderate land, and in case they aren't, Patch further clarified them in his interview with the Bellisserian. And if that weren't enough, because I disagree with the "behind closed doors" wording, I spoke to Patch privately about it. It has nothing to do with advertised or promoted activity and everything to do with sex. 

And that's the correct answer. SL has tons and tons and tons of public land. Far more than anyone could ever fully explore. 

Um, yeah.  That's why I  said " Your style of play, which I might add is a perfectly valid style of play."  There's no correct way to play this video game.  Everyone has their own style.  Including those who see it as a game, and those who see it as something else.  Who's right?  We all are, having fun in our own unique ways.

6 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

Yep. I have never used ban lines or a security orb, and I don't feel like I need one. Yesterday was the first time I've had intruders on my land in years. And it was still pretty tame and harmless. 

But anyone who starts with sim-lagging objects/scripts, or homophobic/racist/sexist slurs, welcome to my ban list.

I love visitors so much that if you drive past one of my places I'll probably click on your car and hitch a ride.  I've met some fun  peole that way.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

totally agree  .. but not on my land

Sure, agreed, it's your parcel.  I'm just questioning the methodology being used to keep people out.  At least be responsible with orb use.  A five second delay doesn't take into consideration lag times.  Additionally, have some way for folks to realize you don't want them there in the first place, like, oh, I dunno, banlines?  Most explorers will honor your wishes if they are aware of your wishes.  The rest?  Screw 'em.  Well, not litteraly, unless it's behind closed doors.  *smirk*  As for griefers, don't ban 'em.  It's SO much more fun to build walls around them and put them in boxes so that they have to tp away on their own.  Grief the griefers lol  Of course, that means you have to be there to see the griefers.  But then, how are they able to grief you if you're not there?  What does it matter if someone wanders by when no one is around?  Which brings up another issue with orbs:  Why do they  need to be always on?  You only need them to keep folks from watching your pretend pixels parts pulsate purple passion, so it would be great if orbs had an option to switch off or go to a longer delay if no one is home.

• Like 1

Ban lines are not allowed in Bellisseria in the way you are contemplating (I think). You can ban individuals, but you can't set parcel access to anything other than "public". There are also rules as to orb settings (including minimum delay time), which you can read in the pinned thread(s) regarding security in Bellisseria. 

As for turning orbs off and on, no thanks. I don't think I should have to remember to do that constantly just because someone might want to have a snoop while I'm not home. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

Um, yeah.  That's why I  said " Your style of play, which I might add is a perfectly valid style of play."  There's no correct way to play this video game.  Everyone has their own style.  Including those who see it as a game, and those who see it as something else.  Who's right?  We all are, having fun in our own unique ways.

@Sylvia Tamalyn, there's just no need for any response to these other than the peacock.

• Haha 1

I don't use security orbs (when living on Bellisseria).  I don't use ban lines (when living on old mainland).  I do make use of the ban list.  I have a few names that automatically get added on as soon as I move into a new spot- out of habit and desire to have zero interaction with said banned names.

But as to why would anyone need a security system?  Well, perhaps because if like me (if I so chose to do so)- SL monies are monies I spend for my entertainment, that I chose to not spend on other things.  Why should someone else feel entitled to make use of my private pixel home I pay for if I do not want to share?  The only time it bugs me is when I am home, and if someone opts to just TP right on over.  That gets on my nerves.  Are they going to just walk up to a random house in the real world and walk on in?  

• Like 4

20 hours ago, anna2358 said:

I think it's just for your feeling of POWER over other people passing through.

I think it's more or less so people just don't walk into your home. And sure they can cam in, but when you've your parcel set up a certain way people can only see your objects and not you. And trust me people do just walk in when you don't have one enabled. I'm all for being social...but because some people are impolite and do not IM you first to see if you're okay with company they do come in handy. As in real life, you would just start looking into people windows and or just walking into someones home you don't know just to say hi? Also if you're someone who enjoys being naked or engaging in sexual activities are encouraged to use them. You have to remember some people on here pretend to be children, and because they're pretending to be kids you have to treat them as they're some strangers child. Which would mean you need to keep your actions on your own lawn or within your home where they can't see. Also again some people just like privacy within their own SL home.

Edited by Jaulistine
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Ban lines are not allowed in Bellisseria in the way you are contemplating (I think). You can ban individuals, but you can't set parcel access to anything other than "public". There are also rules as to orb settings (including minimum delay time), which you can read in the pinned thread(s) regarding security in Bellisseria. 

As for turning orbs off and on, no thanks. I don't think I should have to remember to do that constantly just because someone might want to have a snoop while I'm not home. 

It could be an additional feature for a savy orb inventor to add.  No one's saying you "have to" anything.  On the contrary.  Play the game how you wanna play.  These are suggestions, suggestions that take into account the social nature of the game, with an optimistic view towards encounters with others.  It's sad that griefers have chipped away at that part of Second Life culture as the years have gone by.  But that's food for thought for another thread.

Thank you all for your very interesting replies to my serious question.

I still don't understand, but at least I now know.

I don't ban/kick or anything, visitors to my parcels.  But I am a strong supporter of block/de-render, maybe I just don't see them any more....

• Like 1

My hubby and I keep security orbs in both our home in Bellisseria and the home we keep on my sister's residential sim. It has nothing to do with having some type of silly power trip over another resident and everything to do with not having to worry about strangers intruding into our space we pay for. I'm very shy, very soft spoken and I get strong anxiety around others I don't know even in second life to the point of being physically ill among other things. I come to sl to relax, not to get stressed out because others don't feel the need to respect the privacy of others. Especially when I put real life money into second life. In both homes we follow the rules for setting up security orbs and they remain on. Ban lines are not allowed in either place my family resides. I'm glad they're not.

i certainly love to spend time with my family and friends who always have access to our homes. New trusted friends most certainly get added and are also most welcome. The point is, I focus my energy and time on people who deserve it, not someone who feels they have a right to wander into my personal space without an invitation. 

Second Life is a virtual world where the residents can make their own reality as long as they are following the TOS. It isn't a platform for socialization alone. For some it isn't for socialization at all, but building, creating, shopping, decorating and the list goes on. It's a platform for so much more than that. If someone's enjoyment of sl is being ruined because they're not allowed to trespass into private homes and land, perhaps it's time to find a new hobby? 

• Like 8

I didn't want to use an orb in Bellisseria because I liked the community feeling there - Until recently when two retards decided to just wander on my front porch and played peeping tom through my window, talking on voice (unknown language). I was sitting there waiting for them to leave, but boy was I wrong. One of them idiots decided to just sit next to me, laughing loudly still on voice. That was the time when I was like "Nope, eff this bs" and ejected/banned them and put out the security orb.

I really wish I didn't have to do this, but people like them just kinda force us to.

Why is it so much fun clopping into someone elses house, sitting next to them? You don't do this in RL, so why lose all of your morals on SL?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chuckey Jigsaw said:

Why is it so much fun clopping into someone elses house, sitting next to them? You don't do this in RL, so why lose all of your morals on SL?

This is why I turned my system on....so they're booted in 15seconds....I have no problems if someone IM's me saying "Hey neighbor, I'm stopping by to introduce myself. Do you mind if I come in?"....... More then not I'll be in the mood to have a chit chat and I'll turn my security off for the duration of the visit. But too many people abuse this. I logged in and had several people just running all through my home asking "When are you moving out." Over and over again. I don't mind silly trolls with humor...but annoying folks, I'll pass. You don't need to have access to someones' home when ever you want or to be able to see their avatar before you IM them if all you're doing is being friendly. That's just how I see it.

Edited by Jaulistine
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Precisely! Want a one? It's full perms. :)

YES please - same name inworld :)

i adore this stuff - used on friends I hasten to add.

Emma :)

read a bit further in thread - will IM you inworld, Alyona :)

Edited by Emma Krokus

• Moles
16 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

@Patch Linden, I realize you are very busy, but someone is very confused here. Can you please pop in and explain the rules for those that do not understand them? Thanks! xox

People may find it helpful to read this recent interview with Patch in The Bellisserian, since it seems to answer many of the questions about "adult activities" that have been raised in this thread:

https://thebellisserian.wixsite.com/editiontwo/helpful-info

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7

• Moles
18 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

could be even more usefull to add clearer info at the official pages i think, this non official "magazine" isn't read, for many good reasons, by all who have those questions.

Much of the article, though, seems to amount to "Read the Knowledge Base":

and "Read the FAQs":

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Adult_Content_FAQ

On my resident account, I've been involved in running adult and mature regions for years, and it pretty much confirmed my understanding of the rules.

However, one thing I did learn from the article is that there exists a Governance User Group which people are invited to attend to raise their particular questions and concerns.   It meets in-world every second Tuesday.   That seems a very useful resource.

• Thanks 3

The rules at Bellessarian are not really any different then going to any other Moderate sim. It's quite simple. To sum it up....If you want to roam around whether on land or water in the nude, that's fine...males keep your pixel junk in droopy mode, females keeps your bottom lips closed (this would be non sexual nudity). Granted some sim owners will tweak their version of how they want to run their moderate sim, which is okay they pay for it. Yet if you're wanting to have sex first go to About Land go to options and make sure you uncheck "Avatars on other parcels can see and chat with avatars on this parcel", then head over to sounds and place a check mark next to "Restrict gesture and sounds to this parcel". This way if you want to have pixel sex on top of your boat house, or patio and or outside on your OWN parcel no one can see you thus there's no rules being broken. If you wish to allow people to see you, then you must keep all adult activities inside your SL home. If someone cams in on you, they're at fault and have no grounds on reporting (damn those peeping Toms' & Sallys'). xD

On a non-sexual topic just be friendly, polite and considerate. And remember to ask before doing. Common sense!

Also, people need to stop assuming just because someone doesn't want random people coming into their SL home at any given moment, or peer into their home to get a looksee at their avatar means they're ruining their experience in having "free roam". You are still able to walk around, visit the public places that were set up for the community, hence you still have "Free roam". We don't need to hear or see peoples conversations when they're not speaking to us and we really don't belong in strangers homes. That's how you get shot dont cha know xDxDxD  But seriously though, why would one even want to go into someones' home they didn't even know and then grip/moan when they're unable to. I'm actually curious about this. What is so bad with getting to know one another the proper way? It's starts with an IM saying "Hi, how are ya, wonderful weather we're having." Anyways that's how Spongebob did it xD And if they don't want to let you in or talk with you that's perfectly fine....as human beings we weren't all meant to like one another.

Edited by Jaulistine
  • Like 3

• Moles
13 minutes ago, Jaulistine said:

Yet if you're wanting to have sex first go to About Land go to options and make sure you uncheck "Avatars on other parcels can see and chat with avatars on this parcel", then head over to sounds and place a check mark next to "Restrict gesture and sounds to this parcel". This way if you want to have pixel sex on top of your boat house, or patio and or outside on your OWN parcel no one can see you thus there's no rules being broken.

I think, however, that if you read the interview with Patch to which I linked above, you will find the following exchange:

Do I need to have parcel visibility turned off when conducting adult activities?

Yes.

Do[es] you need to be inside your home "behind walls" mean[...] no sex on the patio or decks?

Yes

In other words,  sex al fresco is not permitted in Bellisseria, even on your own parcel with parcel visibility switched off.

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1690 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.