anna2358

Why do we need a 'security system'?

Posted (edited)

I have to say I *LIKE* the LL security system, from the perspective of someone being "ejected"... I still had a landmark in my shortcut bar to my old LL Home that I abandoned a week or so ago and went to delete it, but accidentally clicked on it - it took me to the old home (still on the outside of the house, mind you) and then I got distracted. When I looked back I was now standing on the sidewalk in front of the home. Not dramatic menus or bells or whistles, just a polite message in chat and then I was gently "pushed" out of parcel bounds.

It was actually the most pleasant ejection I've had in 12 years. SO - since I still have one LL home, my question is if I snag it into inventory and keep it, whether that LL Security system will work outside of Bellisseria continent on my mainland parcel? LOL Because that is how a security system should work.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

and then I was gently "pushed" out of parcel bounds.

It was actually the most pleasant ejection I've had in 12 years. SO - since I still have one LL home, my question is whether that LL Security system will work outside of Bellisseria continent on my mainland parcel? LOL Because that is how a security system should work.

What, you don’t like being orbited, trapped, or TP’d home?

3 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Personally, I like to release a swarm of bees.

Aren’t wasps more dangerous? Maybe killer bees?

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Those are all fine, it's the avatar-deforming that is a pain in the derriere. :P

Edit to add: Yes, I still have an orbit-deformer gun from 2006 that will instantaneously pop you to 50,000 meters into the sky :D And it still works, tested recently on my alt. So be nice to me, people, or else... Bahahahaha

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Aren’t wasps more dangerous? Maybe killer bees?

I don't want actual dead bodies that I then have to clean up! Just stinging the intruders in the rear enough to run them off will work nicely.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Yesterday I was building on my new land and three people came in, started walking all over my build, bumping into me and being generally obnoxious. I tried talking to them, they did not reply and continued trying to get a reaction from me.

So I sat down on the ground and browsed the marketplace for 15 minutes. When I looked back, they were gone. 

Some people would rather not have people like that enter their property at all.

Personally I don't mind, I have ended up having some very interesting conversations with griefers, unfortunately this occasion wasn't one of them. 

• Like 10

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

Yesterday I was building on my new land and three people came in, started walking all over my build, bumping into me and being generally obnoxious. I tried talking to them, they did not reply and continued trying to get a reaction from me.

So I sat down on the ground and browsed the marketplace for 15 minutes. When I looked back, they were gone. 

Some people would rather not have people like that enter their property at all.

Personally I don't mind, I have ended up having some very interesting conversations with griefers, unfortunately this occasion wasn't one of them. 

Your policy is the same as mine. I leave my places open, I even have a generous auto-return (usually 30 or 60 minutes) and my building or house are open to all; I don't even bother to turn on the "hide avatars" features (though I do turn on the restricting sounds and voice and chat to parcel). I do this because you cannot plan the future on events of the past; being griefed as you describe is such a rare occasion that it doesn't even matter and, so, kudos to you for handling it the way you did. There is just too much paranoia in SL the way I see it.

Edited by Alyona Su
AACK! Autoocorrupt made "their" when I meant "there" (!!!)
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Those are all fine, it's the avatar-deforming that is a pain in the derriere. :P

Edit to add: Yes, I still have an orbit-deformer gun from 2006 that will instantaneously pop you to 50,000 meters into the sky :D And it still works, tested recently on my alt. So be nice to me, people, or else... Bahahahaha

So instead of an “ugly stick”, SL has a “deformer gun”.

”Excuse me ma’am, are you really ugly or did someone hit you with a deformer gun?”

52 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So instead of an “ugly stick”, SL has a “deformer gun”.

”Excuse me ma’am, are you really ugly or did someone hit you with a deformer gun?”

Precisely! Want a one? It's full perms. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Back in the old country (Inworldz) an orb scripter sold his wares with the default setting to tp intruders into his orbitally high shop.

I really hate unnecessarily short warning orbs, but using orb software to try and capture potential customers was so bad it was hilarious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

my question is if I snag it into inventory and keep it, whether that LL Security system will work outside of Bellisseria continent on my mainland parcel?

No, sadly, because the LH Security System is using the Linden Homes experience to store your access list and other information in KVP, to be sure that it is unique to your parcel and your ownership.  You could certainly write a system that has the same basic functions and use it as a stand-alone anywhere you like, however.  By providing our own rigorously-tested security system, we were not necessarily encouraging people to use security orbs, but were making it easy for people who do want orbs to comply with the LH covenant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

1 minute ago, Dyna Mole said:

No, sadly, because the LH Security System is using the Linden Homes experience to store your access list and other information in KVP, to be sure that it is unique to your parcel and your ownership.  You could certainly write a system that has the same basic functions and use it as a stand-alone anywhere you like, however.  By providing our own rigorously-tested security system, we were not necessarily encouraging people to use security orbs, but were making it easy for people who do want orbs to comply with the LH covenant.

Yes, yes to all of it. I don't generally use them myself, though your idea to create one is something I may take up as a brain exercise (amateur scripter here) and then i'll sell it for free on MP :D

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

Your policy is the same as mine. I leave my places open, I even have a generous auto-return (usually 30 or 60 minutes) and my building or house are open to all; I don't even bother to turn on the "hide avatars" features (though I do turn on the restricting sounds and voice and chat to parcel). I do this because you cannot plan the future on events of the past; being griefed as you describe is such a rare occasion that it doesn't even matter and, so, kudos to you for handling it the way you did. Their is just too much paranoia in SL the way I see it.

Yep. I have never used ban lines or a security orb, and I don't feel like I need one. Yesterday was the first time I've had intruders on my land in years. And it was still pretty tame and harmless. 

But anyone who starts with sim-lagging objects/scripts, or homophobic/racist/sexist slurs, welcome to my ban list.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

I've just opened the forums and already found the silliest topic of the day. 

People want it because they do. Simple as that. No other explanation needed. 

I don't use any security on my land unless it's sexy time, and even then I wouldn't use it if it wasn't for the rules, but that's me and I'm quite the exhibitionist. Others aren't, and that's their prerogative and I respect them for it. 

I"m not sure how respectful you are of other people's style of... I hate the word "play" in terms of using SL, but anyway...  

To turn your words back on you, you need to understand that your use of SL isn't the only valid style of use. There is a whole community of folks who wish to be left alone, are happy to explore on the vast amounts of public land if they feel the need to explore, and these, well, expletive deleted wanderers cause serious issues for folks trying to mind their own business and enjoy SL the way that they enjoy. 

See how that works? 

Nope. The wiki is perfectly clear about how adult activities need to be conducted on moderate land, and in case they aren't, Patch further clarified them in his interview with the Bellisserian. And if that weren't enough, because I disagree with the "behind closed doors" wording, I spoke to Patch privately about it. It has nothing to do with advertised or promoted activity and everything to do with sex. 

And that's the correct answer. SL has tons and tons and tons of public land. Far more than anyone could ever fully explore. 

The Wiki on behind closed doors is very different to the Knowledge base article. What I am being told isn't at all clear to me and I am only more confused now.

The Belliserian interview with Patch Linden, in issue one says nothing about the topic, are you referring to something else?

When you spoke with Patch what did he say? Do we have to use orbs set to restrict to group access to use sex beds in our skyboxes in Bellisseria? is a teleporter restricted to group access insufficient? and that the rest of the grid should operate with group access banlines up and running in order to use adult or put out adult furniture?, even when the activities are in a skybox when they won't prevent anyone accessing the bed anyway? - what is reasonable about any of that? Is anyone going to enforce it?

The knowledgebase article makes no mention of needing to use orbs or parcel settings. It says " For example, if someone whats to have a swinger party and invite some friends, there is no problem with that. As long as they don't advertise it, who is going to know what is happening in their own home? " No mention of needing to use any security systems.

I have never heard a landlord require orbs or parcel security settings when renting moderate land. I don't think it unreasonable to think a large majority of land in SL is in violation of the Wiki, but not the Knowledgebase. Thinking about it the covenant for the USS sailing sims would prevent any adult activity at all (no banlines), which isn't what the covenant says for skyboxes.

The wiki clarification on behind closed doors, in the restrictive interpretation being taken as gospel here, is if correct almost universally ignored, not least by the big landlords and by whoever enforces it from a Linden perspective.

Edited by Aethelwine

Closed doors means literally behind closed doors with parcel privacy on. Not on your deck, not in your backyard... inside your dwelling. That’s the part I disagree with. No orbs are necessary, though.

• Thanks 1

The basic flaw with the original question Why do we need a 'security system'? is the use of the word "WE"

Everyone in SL is different, each of us has our own desires, needs and wants.  Why I might want a security system is very different from someone else's opinion.  So I don't think you will really get a good answer to that question. 

As far as why "I" want/need a security system ... well ... that is nobody's business except my own.  If I choose to use a security system that is a choice that has been given to me by LL and I do choose to use one and have on all my properties for more than a decade.

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Closed doors means literally behind closed doors with parcel privacy on. Not on your deck, not in your backyard... inside your dwelling. That’s the part I disagree with. No orbs are necessary, though.

That is sort of what I thought it meant, but I have never bothered with parcel privacy. I don't see what function it serves to protect your privacy when you don't have banlines up. Anyone can just cross the parcel border and cam you. It is pointless, and a pointless protection is unreasonable to insist on. Especially when a consequence of that somewhere like the Seychelles is your passengers constantly rendering and derendering every time you cross a parcel boundary.

Ps I was meaning to add, whilst I was sounding angry in my previous post, the anger isn't directed at you or anyone else. I am just frustrated in Bellisseria we have some real progress towards rules that make sense and are inviting to a sense of community but that makes it doubly frustrating when arcane references are found to argue for restrictions here that no one elsewhere ever bothers with, that landlords ignore and that aren't enforced.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

I'm curious as to why it would bother anyone that I choose to play it safe and interpret the rules as I do. Do you need access to my parcels for some reason?

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I'm curious as to why it would bother anyone that I choose to play it safe and interpret the rules as I do. Do you need access to my parcels for some reason?

It doesn't bother me at all. What bothers me is that, from what you are saying I have to either have to take out the sexy furniture from skyboxes I have across mainland or that I reparcel them and put up banlines to cover them. It also bothers me I will have to put an orb out in my Belliseria skybox if I want to use it for private activities of an adult nature... like shooting cans to relieve the frustration of the forum.

Edited by Aethelwine

21 minutes ago, Gregorian Chant said:

Can I get one please?

It's an in-world device, so you'll have to ask me in-world :P

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

It doesn't bother me at all. What bothers me is that, from what you are saying I have to either have to take out the sexy furniture from skyboxes I have across mainland or that I reparcel them and put up banlines to cover them.

I'm not on the Governance team, so why does what I say "bother" you? Do what you wish, obviously.  xD

ETA: You edited your post after I replied to it. Again, what I am saying doesn't require you to do a thing. Make up your own mind about what the rules say, and govern yourself accordingly. Simple!

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I'm not on the Governance team, so why does what I say "bother" you? Do what you wish, obviously.  xD

ETA: You edited your post after I replied to it. Again, what I am saying doesn't require you to do a thing. Make up your own mind about what the rules say, and govern yourself accordingly. Simple!

I am bothered because your interpretation of the rules along with enforcement would have widespread consequences restricting what is now a normal use of land. It would amount to one step forwards and two back.

I don't think people should be advised they need to use orbs and privacy settings, that it is sufficient to just use a skybox, perhaps with a group access teleporter for access. If people want to do more to restrict their privacy then that is fine too, but it is the suggestion that others have to comply that I find dangerous.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Haha 1