Why do we need a 'security system'?

Anna Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just don't see it.  It's not like an intruder can steal anything, and they can watch from outside by camming in.  So what do you lot want an <expletive deleted> security system in SL for?

I think it's just for your feeling of POWER over other people passing through.

Edited by anna2358
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

There is a setting that prevents people cramming in, I think for it to work there needs to be at least one person on the ban list. Something like that anyway.

So one of your premises is wrong. The answer is basically that some people like their privacy. 

.  I misspoke - gave erroneous infos.  Deleted!  😁

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko

8 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

some people like their privacy. 

This.   

This discussion comes up over and over.    We have divided our region into 2.  Two stores on one half,  3 home  parcels on the other half.  I placed cliffs down the middle to make the  separation obvious but still get people thinking its ok to fly up and over the cliffs to people in their homes or just tp'ing straight to them.  I also have it at my linden home for the same reason.    So I turn your question around.  Why do you lot think its <expletive deleted> ok to just go into someones home space?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, anna2358 said:

I just don't see it.  It's not like an intruder can steal anything, and they can watch from outside by camming in.  So what do you lot want an <expletive deleted> security system in SL for?

People are entitled to have their privacy if that is their preference.  I don't use security orbs myself, nor do I have my parcel set so people can't see me when I'm at my Bellisseria home. I do have sounds restricted to my parcel though.  As for why people might want the security orbs? Well, twice I have had random people just fly to my home and walk into my house, look around or just stand in place for anywhere from 5-10 minutes.  Now, I was not offended by this, even though they didn't say a word to me, they just stood there looking around.  I do feel it was rudeness on their part not to even speak to me, but I did not boot them off my parcel or ban them.

Some people also want to keep their own conduct, adult theme in nature, private from voyeurs; in other words, to prevent people from spy camming on them or trying to eavesdrop.  I do agree that it was a good move to omit ban lines. They are very distasteful, rude and make a sim look down right fugly.  But at the same time, I do respect those that are more reserved and desire to have their privacy. As long as they follow the rules in the covenant, I see no issue with it and we all should respect their wishes, whether you agree with it or not. It is their home and they have paid money for that privacy.  ;)

• Like 6

I've never felt the need to use a security system and keep people out, there's almost no such thing as total privacy unless you have your own private region that only allows select people in. In my Linden home I do have the feature set that means people outside my parcel can't see me due to some of my items having adult animations but that's as far as security goes for me. If people decide they want to wander around my home if I'm there or not they are welcome to 

3 hours ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

No there is no need for anyone to be on the banned list for the camming feature to work. You're able to determine whether or not people from outside parcels can see in and also whether or not voice and sound are restricted to your parcel.  Those are all done at the top of the screen in the about world menu.  Just for over clarification the restricting on the camming only works for the actual Avatar, rezzed objects are still visible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

This.   

This discussion comes up over and over.    We have divided our region into 2.  Two stores on one half,  3 home  parcels on the other half.  I placed cliffs down the middle to make the  separation obvious but still get people thinking its ok to fly up and over the cliffs to people in their homes or just tp'ing straight to them.  I also have it at my linden home for the same reason.    So I turn your question around.  Why do you lot think its <expletive deleted> ok to just go into someones home space?

Because the software specifically gives you the option to set the land as open to the public or restricted to certain users.  It's that simple.  Why people don't use the Access tab eludes me, other than people complaining that ban lines look yucky -- The only people who will see ban lines are people you don't want around anyway, plus they can set their viewer preferences to not have to see the yucky ban lines.  It's tremendously annoying to be wandering along exploring Second Life, checking the Access tab before walking on someone's precious pixels, seeing that the land is set for everyone to access it, and then getting one of those, well, expletive deleted security orbs telling us we have five seconds -- never mind the region's lag time exceeding that -- to run or fly back to the parcel border or we will be teleported.  And not to the parcel border, mind you, but hundreds of regions away, back home.

Look.  I get it.  Your style of play, which I might add is a perfectly valid style of play, revolves around being in your own little area, away from interaction with anyone you don't know.  I get that, and am glad that SL's software has features for you to keep folks off your land.  So use them via that Access tab.  But you need to understand that your style of play is not the only valid style of play for Second Life.  There's a whole community of folks who wish to be social, who wish to explore, and these, well, expletive deleted orbs cause serious issues for folks trying to wander around and enjoy SL in the way that they enjoy.

Yes, I get it.  In your view, what the, well, expletive deleted, has gotten into people's minds that they think they can walk into someone's home?  But by having the Access tab set to Everyone, to extend your analogy of a real world home, it's like you've got a big sign in the yard welcoming strangers, and the door is wide open.  Shut the door, lock it, take down the sign, and set the Access  tab properly and your problem disappears.

Again, I respect your style of play.  But please respect mine.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

I have fly turned off, they overide it... i have an orb at 4000M  around my work platform, they tp to me... I am quite happy with that without playing about with the access tab 

• Like 5

In Bellisseria, the Access tab has limited usage. You can't set it to Group only. 

As for the original question, an obvious reason to use a security system in Bellisseria is to comply with the rules regarding maturity ratings and "behind closed doors". Since you CAN'T set your parcel to group only using the land tab, the only way to restrict access as required by LL when one allows adult activity on their parcel is to use an orb. 

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Adult_Content_FAQ

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

In Bellisseria, the Access tab has limited usage. You can't set it to Group only. 

As for the original question, an obvious reason to use a security system in Bellisseria is to comply with the rules regarding maturity ratings and "behind closed doors". Since you CAN'T set your parcel to group only using the land tab, the only way to restrict access as required by LL when one allows adult activity on their parcel is to use an orb. 

I have always read that as guidance and that behind closed doors literally means what it says, that you can use your adult furniture on moderate land in your home and sky box without any additional security needs. Any estate landlord would give the same advice. The wiki isn't always accurate and if your interpretation accurate at least half the landowners and renters would be in violation. 

1 minute ago, Aethelwine said:

I have always read that as guidance and that behind closed doors literally means what it says, that you can use your adult furniture on moderate land in your home and sky box without any additional security needs. Any estate landlord would give the same advice. The wiki isn't always accurate and if your interpretation accurate at least half the landowners and renters would be in violation. 

I am an estate manager so might know a little bit about it. :)   The definition very clearly states you can only allow a specific group to have access. Just because people don't follow the rules doesn't mean the rules do not exist.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Thank you.  I did not know that.  Why Linden would, for lack of a better term, nerf the Access tab, doesn't make sense.  No one has to see ban lines if they don't want to, there's a setting for that.  The more I think about it, maybe I DON'T want one of the new homes, or perhaps I'll be sure to just have General stuff.  I dunno, maybe 350 prims worth of rolling eyes...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I have fly turned off, they overide it... i have an orb at 4000M  around my work platform, they tp to me... I am quite happy with that without playing about with the access tab 

That absolutely stinks.  That's not exploring.  <expletive deleted> them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I am an estate manager so might know a little bit about it. :)   The definition very clearly states you can only allow a specific group to have access. Just because people don't follow the rules doesn't mean the rules do not exist.

Reading the link again behind closed doors is used specifically in relation to advertised and promoted activity.

There are areas where the settings are specifically excluded in the agreements made like those connected with mainland. The only  two conclusions I can make are that the wiki is misleading you or that it is just false. 

• Haha 1

It's not about physical theft - there's intellectual property theft too, but I'm genuinely baffled over why anyone would get their knickers in a twist for being prevented from invading someone's privacy.

Plan ahead and fly somewhere else; problem solved.

It's Second Life - yours to do with as you see fit (provided you're not breaking the ToS). 

Sour assumptions about why people won't let you invade their privacy seems a little childish, churlish and short-sighted. It's like saying you're a busybody with a desire to do exactly that  - and hate being prevented from it.

I'm butt naked 95% of the time creating shapes; I neither need nor desire pervs coming in - or camming in - for an eye full of naked (and often very scary looking) pixels while I work.

I'm sure there's other creators with their own set of reasons for utilizing whatever security is at their disposal - not that they need to justify themselves to anyone in order to use the tools that are their right to use.

Point is that in most cases it has absolutely nothing to do with 'power' over anything or anyone but our own situation and our own privacy, with dozens of valid scenarios as to why.

• Like 11

47 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

Reading the link again behind closed doors is used specifically in relation to advertised and promoted activity.

There are areas where the settings are specifically excluded in the agreements made like those connected with mainland. The only  two conclusions I can make are that the wiki is misleading you or that it is just false. 

None of your speculation about the official wiki changes the truth of what I said. The OP asked why people use security. I replied with one reason why they do. Endless debate about side topics won’t change the truth. :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I've just opened the forums and already found the silliest topic of the day. 

5 hours ago, anna2358 said:

So what do you lot want an <expletive deleted> security system in SL for?

People want it because they do. Simple as that. No other explanation needed. 

I don't use any security on my land unless it's sexy time, and even then I wouldn't use it if it wasn't for the rules, but that's me and I'm quite the exhibitionist. Others aren't, and that's their prerogative and I respect them for it. 

1 hour ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

Look.  I get it.  Your style of play, which I might add is a perfectly valid style of play, revolves around being in your own little area, away from interaction with anyone you don't know.  I get that, and am glad that SL's software has features for you to keep folks off your land.  So use them via that Access tab.  But you need to understand that your style of play is not the only valid style of play for Second Life.  There's a whole community of folks who wish to be social, who wish to explore, and these, well, expletive deleted orbs cause serious issues for folks trying to wander around and enjoy SL in the way that they enjoy.

Yes, I get it.  In your view, what the, well, expletive deleted, has gotten into people's minds that they think they can walk into someone's home?  But by having the Access tab set to Everyone, to extend your analogy of a real world home, it's like you've got a big sign in the yard welcoming strangers, and the door is wide open.  Shut the door, lock it, take down the sign, and set the Access  tab properly and your problem disappears.

I"m not sure how respectful you are of other people's style of... I hate the word "play" in terms of using SL, but anyway...  

To turn your words back on you, you need to understand that your use of SL isn't the only valid style of use. There is a whole community of folks who wish to be left alone, are happy to explore on the vast amounts of public land if they feel the need to explore, and these, well, expletive deleted wanderers cause serious issues for folks trying to mind their own business and enjoy SL the way that they enjoy. 

See how that works? 

1 hour ago, Aethelwine said:

Nope. The wiki is perfectly clear about how adult activities need to be conducted on moderate land, and in case they aren't, Patch further clarified them in his interview with the Bellisserian. And if that weren't enough, because I disagree with the "behind closed doors" wording, I spoke to Patch privately about it. It has nothing to do with advertised or promoted activity and everything to do with sex. 

30 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

totally agree  .. but not on my land

And that's the correct answer. SL has tons and tons and tons of public land. Far more than anyone could ever fully explore. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I temporarily had to use the security system as I found out that the house I got was abandoned by another player and there were tons of bogus names listed in the access list for the home so to be on the safe side I turned on the security system while removing all the names from the list. I planned on contacting support to just wipe it for me but I had time so did it myself that is the only reason I have it will remove once I feel no one is trying to gain access.

6 hours ago, anna2358 said:

You can set your parcel so that avatars outside cannot see you or speak to you and vice versa. People who engage in adult activities are not only free to do so but even asked to do so by the TOS. But what good is this feature if anyone can just walk in? As soon as he is inside your parcel he CAN see you doing whatever you are doing. ;)

And though it might not be considered "adult activity" I also prefer NOT to be seen while I change clothes and stand there naked!

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.