A Question about Networked Advertising on Water Parcels

BilliJo Aldrin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1711 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been assembling a collection of 16 sq m parcels, all bordering LL protected land, for the purpose of advertising.

I have followed all the rules as described here :

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Policy_on_ad_farms_and_network_advertisers

However I have a question about these two points in the case of an underwater parcel:

"In addition, advertisements must comply with these requirements:

They must be grounded to the terrain, not floating.

They must extend no higher than 8 m from the ground."

My question is, can the advertisement be up to 8 meters above the water level, or must it be restricted to 8 meters above the ground level, even if that puts the ad underwater?

Strictly following the rules would mean yes, it has to be underwater, but surely an exception would exist for water parcels.

An answer by a Linden would be very much appreciated.

While you wait for an answer, incidentally I have a question for you. Of what value is a prim-or-mesh advert in a land where de-rendering is an option to Residents?   Hasn't group-based blog-based banner-based advertising replaced the need for signs along the road?  My friends spend a lot of money on digital advertising and zero money on signage, so that's why I am interested. 

23 minutes ago, Clarrellae said:

While you wait for an answer, incidentally I have a question for you. Of what value is a prim-or-mesh advert in a land where de-rendering is an option to Residents?   Hasn't group-based blog-based banner-based advertising replaced the need for signs along the road?  My friends spend a lot of money on digital advertising and zero money on signage, so that's why I am interested. 

To derender the sign, you first have to see the sign. So, you already read it before you derendered it. 

The next person that comes along will still see it, because it's only derendered for you.

most experienced SL people who do use roadside advertising networks won't pay for impressions (rendering), they pay for clicks (actual clicks on the sign).   You will get some people new to SL who will initially pay for impressions until they work out what Clarellae has mentioned

3 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

My question is, can the advertisement be up to 8 meters above the water level, or must it be restricted to 8 meters above the ground level, even if that puts the ad underwater?

Strictly following the rules would mean yes, it has to be underwater, but surely an exception would exist for water parcels.

An answer by a Linden would be very much appreciated.

a definitive answer can only come from the Linden Governance team.  The way to get a definitive answer from Governance is to rez the sign on the water and then Abuse Report it yourself, explaining what you are wanting to know

The simplest answer would be to make your advert board look like it sits on a buoy and therefore, sits on the surface of the water. Not only would that make it "TOS legal", but more attractive also (and people may even actually pay attention to it).

"Networked advertising" in SL does not seem to be doing well. Much of the ad space is selling - ad space.

In back of the Linden info hub in Ungren is a huge wall of ad boards. Most are non-revenue. There are some political signs, some public service announcements, and a big ad for an area that went out of business last year. Signs over 110 meters high, over 200m high if you count the floating purple cube with an ad. 135m wide. And moving arrows on Linden land.

There are some huge billboards in Corsica, based in tiny 4x4m parcels. Selling ad space. They're so tall that, driving by, you just see the post; the sign is too high up.

As a business area, this looks dead. Although the ugliness lives on.

• Lindens
3 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

The simplest answer would be to make your advert board look like it sits on a buoy and therefore, sits on the surface of the water. Not only would that make it "TOS legal", but more attractive also (and people may even actually pay attention to it).

Yes, basically this. While the "attractiveness" of it obviously isn't something that we're going to scrutinize (too harshly, anyway 😉), the solution would be to place something like a platform, or something more creative, on the surface of the water to anchor your advert to. You'll then be limited to no more than 8m above water level. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Derrick Linden said:

Yes, basically this. While the "attractiveness" of it obviously isn't something that we're going to scrutinize (too harshly, anyway 😉), the solution would be to place something like a platform, or something more creative, on the surface of the water to anchor your advert to. You'll then be limited to no more than 8m above water level. 

Ok, I'll do that. Thank you very much for your reply.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1711 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.