Deleting old versions of Firestorm

KarraSue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'll defer to Whirly when she sees this, but as far as I can see you should be able to uninstall the Beta without it having any deleterious effect on 6.2.4.  I'd backup my settings before you do just to be super-sure.

2 hours ago, KarraSue said:

I have the latest Firestorm version, but I still have the beta version of 6.0.2.56580 still on my machine. Can I delete that beta version, without affecting the newest one I just downloaded?

Hello KarraSue - 

FS Version 6.0.2. is not a beta viewer. It's a full animesh release from February 2019.

In all likelihood you have installed the SL/OS version whereas FS Version 6.2.4. is for SL only (because they install to different "channels" folders).

If you do not visit grids other than Second Life, it is safe to uninstall FS Version 6.0.2. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KarraSue said:

I have the latest Firestorm version, but I still have the beta version of 6.0.2.56580 still on my machine. Can I delete that beta version, without affecting the newest one I just downloaded?

There was one BETA recently (not a typical FS thing) that installed ALONGSIDE the  regular version and we had to download the "real" one when it came out  as the beta timed out.  Easiest way to get info on this is from the INWORLD Firestorm group (see the Help tab in the viewer). OR you could look back in the blog of the FS viewer. There aren't posts that often so it should be fairly easy to find that info.

Good luck. 

• 2 weeks later...

Go ahead and uninstall it. As Aishagain advised backup your settings first. Also, when the uninstall asks about deleting ALL files, if there is any doubt this is a beta in a separate folder say NO. And I would say NO in any case.

If you say YES, in the worst case you will need to reinstall 6.2.4, but most likely not..

If you have an actual Beta, it installs in a unique folder. You can look at the launch icon's properties to see where it is. Once uninstalled you can delete the folder.

If you are reasonably computer literate there is more you can do. Read through the Firestorm Instructions for a Clean Install. Adapt them to work with your beta install, mostly folder names need to change. This will clean out a bunch of stuff that is only ever used with the beta.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.