Borelek

Reasons Why RP sims fail.

10 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:

I personally like this but I've been told on more than one occasion by other players (at the time as I was developing my own RP regions) that they won't RP in a place that they can't rent a home in. It's a catch 22 situation: the more homes you have, the more prims you need, the more space you need to buy to accommodate the prims. I guess this doesn't apply to all genres, but most certainly Urban RP (again, as has been my experience and not indicative of everyone at all). I'm all for smaller areas, but there is (or was) an underlying belief with a good percentage of players that small equates to small-time and full sims equals worthwhile (or "lasting" as misguided as that can be). I don't get it. If more people did maybe there wouldn't be so many regions empty?

Most role-players do it part-time and rarely require a rental home. I ran a successful role-play region for three years (then passed it off to a friend) - the moment we added rental homes role-play went down to half as those people would camp in their homes and cuddle-bunny their partners, rarely coming out to actually role-play. There's nothing wrong with having a *few* themed rental properties in the role-play, but if anyone demands such before they'll role-play, my answer is simply "Whether you are missed or not, it's your loss".

I've said it before and I'll say it again: A good region design with regard to role-play is to have a central area where people will congregate. In my case it was a tavern in the town center; the rest of the area was specifically-designed to discourage camping there (though sometimes people did it anyway.)

Oh, and rules? That's the first reason many place die. Drop the walls-o-text and keep it simple. One notecard the *briefly* explains the theme of the role-play, no need to novels of back-story. Sheesh. Another notecard for rules. If your rules (role-play AND region) are longer than two notecard pages then you're already doing it wrong. Stop trying to educate people and just explain two things: Remember that people are actors on a stage so never take anything personally and Moderator decisions are always final. Done.

• Like 6

Fascinating discussion from start to finish. 

This displays the depth and appeal of roleplay as found here in SL.  You know, Prof. Jordan Peterson in one of his classes on personality and creativity remarked that introverts were highly drawn to roleplay as a creative outlet and he wasn't sure why.  We know why, and probably a lot of introverts are found here in this thread.  That is usually where the deep water runs. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lancewae Barrowstone said:

This displays the depth and appeal of roleplay as found here in SL.  You know, Prof. Jordan Peterson in one of his classes on personality and creativity remarked that introverts were highly drawn to roleplay as a creative outlet and he wasn't sure why.  We know why, and probably a lot of introverts are found here in this thread.  That is usually where the deep water runs. 

I don't think introverts are, as a class, any "deeper" than extroverts or otherwise superior.  I don't know where that idea has come from but it's been all over the internet for the last few years and it's getting tiresome. The words don't mean what a lot of people think they mean anyway.

What I do think is that people who perhaps struggle with real-life interaction for whatever reason, and/or who feel a need for a certain kind of escape, are more likely to be drawn to a digital fantasy world. But there are plenty of skilled role players who function fine in reality and have good communication skills all round. Creativity comes in many forms, a lot of them scientific and mathematical. Roleplaying and storytelling are just two examples. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:

I personally like this but I've been told on more than one occasion by other players (at the time as I was developing my own RP regions) that they won't RP in a place that they can't rent a home in. 

That's so they can hide in their homes till someone they want to RP with shows up on the map. It's not healthy for the RP.

• Like 4

The points about in-sim rentals are interesting. I've never had any interest in having an inworld home but if I did, I would want it in a place where I wouldn't have to be in character.

• Like 2

Well, to my thinking, introversion is linked with introspection.  This could explain the draw to roleplay as that is inherently experimental and you learn things by experiment.  

True, not all human beings -- introvert or extrovert -- operate with the same mental facilities.  I wasn't trying to draw that type of distinction.  But it's also true that in group gatherings where extroverts are enjoying exchanging their particular outward energies, that introverts are quietly absorbing and synthesizing.  I guess that's exactly what I did in making that post.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lancewae Barrowstone said:

But it's also true that in group gatherings where extroverts are enjoying exchanging their particular outward energies, that introverts are quietly absorbing and synthesizing.  

While there's nothing wrong with "quietly absorbing and synthesising", I'd hope that most people in an RP setting would still be doing some exchanging of outward energies, otherwise I can't see much roleplay happening. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lancewae Barrowstone said:

Why would you assume that occurs in roleplaying?

Because people are interacting with and playing off each other, and engaging in a form of self expression.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lancewae Barrowstone said:

Let me rephrase.  Why would you assume introverts do NOT do that?   Seems to be your implication, unless i'm reading your wrong. 

Well, why would you assume that extroverts aren't introspective? Anyway, you are definitely reading me wrong, because these are your implications, not mine:

2 hours ago, Lancewae Barrowstone said:

But it's also true that in group gatherings where extroverts are enjoying exchanging their particular outward energies, that introverts are quietly absorbing and synthesizing.  

All I've said is that a group gathering where everyone is quietly absorbing and synthesising and nobody is exchanging particular outward energies is not likely to lead to riveting RP. You're the one who's classing one behaviour to the introverts and the other to the extroverts, not me. 

I'm so fed up with this introvert/extrovert stuff that always seems to come out as one being inherently better than the other (deeper water or whatever). The world needs both types of people, many (most?) of us are a mix of the two anyway. There is no moral value or superiority attached to either. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Lancewae Barrowstone said:

I think that's more to do with social confidence than the introvert/extrovert thing. Roleplay is a controlled environment to try new ways of relating to people, risk-free. That's not all it is, of course, but it might explain why some people who think of themselves as introverts are particularly drawn to it. Just my guess.

I do it so I can shop for costumes ... I mean.. uh.. make epic stories... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Well, why would you assume that extroverts aren't introspective? Anyway, you are definitely reading me wrong, because these are your implications, not mine:

Great Heavens, where did my statement "assume that extroverts aren't introspective?" 

Houston we have a problem.  Try reading slower. 

2 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

All I've said is that a group gathering where everyone is quietly absorbing and synthesising and nobody is exchanging particular outward energies..... 

Heavens again... who said that introverts never are "exchanging particular outward energies..." in a group scenario, or ANY scenario for that matter??   And based on your slant you then cast the mould to suggest  it "...is not likely to lead to riveting RP."   That's actually funny given you already demonstrate you have no base for it.   Oh well, moving on.

Funny how you twist things to meet your presumptions.  Actually though, it's not funny.  You've twice proclaimed your "fed up" with this particular personality trait discussion that is being advanced in recent years by new research.  Maybe you are struggling with it for personal reasons.  Sorry I triggered something in you.   But i do have to point out that your bias interferes with your understanding.  You might want to take a look at that.   And actually, just gaining a little knowledge is one cure to a life built on uninformed opinion. 

Good luck. 

choose files... Click to choose files

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Lancewae Barrowstone said:

Great Heavens, where did my statement "assume that extroverts aren't introspective?" 

14 hours ago, Lancewae Barrowstone said:

Well, to my thinking, introversion is linked with introspection.  

Heavens again... who said that introverts never are "exchanging particular outward energies..." in a group scenario, or ANY scenario for that matter??  

14 hours ago, Lancewae Barrowstone said:

What's that you say? Encore? Ok...

Funny how you twist things to meet your presumptions. 

For a supposed introvert, I have to say that you don't seem to do a lot of absorbing and synthesising, but you do seem to do an awful lot of outward projection of your own thoughts and words on to other people. 

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

For a supposed introvert, I have to say that you don't seem to do a lot of absorbing and synthesising, but you do seem to do an awful lot of outward projection of your own thoughts and words on to other people. 

Most people calling themselves introvert aren't. They may be shy, but not introvert. They should look up the definition and realize this.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Most people calling themselves introvert aren't. They may be shy, but not introvert. They should look up the definition and realize this.

I'm so glad you said it. Although "shy" isn't the word I'd use to describe most people who do this.

They're also not doing real introverts any favours. This conversation is so typical. I'm so tired of it. 

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 3

I mainly dislike how almost all RP fantasy sims base their systems off D&D. I can't get into D&D, never have never will. It's just too .. Nerdy? idk. Currently I'm working towards a custom system. No class system.

Posted (edited)
On 8/22/2019 at 3:53 PM, Etalia Cristole said:

That or the meter is no longer supported.  DCS, CCS, Vitae, MCE, KROS, LaRPS, Osiris, GLM, Spellfire, Assassins Grid, URA, Chaos, the list goes on and on.  All dead and the MANY RP sims that used those meters are dead as well.

GM is still around, but it’s Specifically geared for melee combat and designed for Gorean RP.

In all honesty .. Meter combat ruins RP sims.. because of the whole powerful struggle and the bullying. As for DCS? The owner apparently left sl I believe and shut down any support for the system including her sim Toxian City.

Edited by Minx Kurosawa

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, chaosninja7 said:

I mainly dislike how almost all RP fantasy sims base their systems off D&D. I can't get into D&D, never have never will. It's just too .. Nerdy? idk. Currently I'm working towards a custom system. No class system.

Not just that ... most fantasy sims were only focused on one thing. " adult content". I mean no creativity, no story line  just full out XXX rated. That gets kinda boring overtime.   The only time an orc captured you was to be a S*x Sl*ve. like... come on.... that's just ughhh

Edited by Minx Kurosawa
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Minx Kurosawa said:

In all honesty .. Meter combat ruins RP sims.. because of the whole powerful struggle and the bullying. 

I think this depends on the type of meter and the type of sim. I knew an original in-game meter that was very sophisticated and did enhance the RP. It also works better if you're having a huge fight scene with lots of people. For the most part, though, I do personally prefer RP combat and so did most RPers I knew who were in it for plot and character development. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 6:44 PM, Lancewae Barrowstone said:

Well, to my thinking, introversion is linked with introspection.  This could explain the draw to roleplay as that is inherently experimental and you learn things by experiment.  

True, not all human beings -- introvert or extrovert -- operate with the same mental facilities.  I wasn't trying to draw that type of distinction.  But it's also true that in group gatherings where extroverts are enjoying exchanging their particular outward energies, that introverts are quietly absorbing and synthesizing.  I guess that's exactly what I did in making that post.  

There's a lot of levels of introversion and ways to deal with and experience it but speaking for myself: Being in social interactions, specially in groups or requiring lot of attention and interaction, is draining. Its not like its not fun, or something that's scary (like when you are very shy), its just consuming a lot of energy to keep up with everything. It does not matter if its in the real world, or if it is during online role playing.

Being very inward focused, and generally overthinking everything before saying/typing it actually makes any real time interaction a bit harder. And when in groups even more so because by the time I decide on what and how I like to respond or express myself, it can already be no longer relevant to the discussion because people have gone on already, and because I was busy overthinking my response I probably missed half the discussion too. That also happens in real life just as easily as in roleplaying setting. Only plus is in roleplaying, you can read back on what you missed, but it does severely influence the experience.

So saying roleplaying is greatly suited for introverts, in my own opinion and experience is just nonsense.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 8/26/2019 at 2:11 AM, Amina Sopwith said:

I think this depends on the type of meter and the type of sim. I knew an original in-game meter that was very sophisticated and did enhance the RP. It also works better if you're having a huge fight scene with lots of people. For the most part, though, I do personally prefer RP combat and so did most RPers I knew who were in it for plot and character development. 

Possibly.. I think the only successful meter I've known was SGS and that was in Kingdom of Sand. He did a really good job with the meter. I actually miss Nomos more then KOS.

On 8/24/2019 at 6:38 PM, CoffeeDujour said:

That's so they can hide in their homes till someone they want to RP with shows up on the map. It's not healthy for the RP.

Not really no, but if having to just stand around somewhere in SL while in IM's, does the sim owner prefer it to be on their sim, or somewhere else?

For me,  IC home rentals are a must. My character feels incomplete if they don't have a home, and i don't feel invested in the sim to the same extent. Also making a living space for the character is an exercise in fleshing the character out fully. Where does that couch come from, why was it selected ? Is it second hand, or bought in a soulless furniture store? Is my character tidy, messy, artistic, lazy etc...

Of course, all that can be put together with a character description and biography, but SL is largely a visual medium and it feels good to be able to discover and express the roleplayed character with not only their clothes and actions, but also how they live. Whole biography can be wordless, stories and memories told with pictures, and trinkets, and even fallen over furniture. Sometimes i end up making objects my character needs or should have, and for me that is much more engaging than "making stuff to sell".

I've tried to rp in places where my characters can't have an IC space to call their own, and it never really works out.