Borelek

Reasons Why RP sims fail.

a former RP sim owner and experienced role player, race leader, and RP business owner, here are my conclusions about why so many RP sims on second life fail

1. Owner/Admin attitudes

• "My way or the highway" will drive people away. You do not have to accommodate every opinion, but you need to listen and show respect.
  • "The guests owe us." No. guests do not owe you anything. They are your customers and if you want them to role play and possibly donate or rent from you, then you have to give them a superb experience. Developing a resentful attitude toward non-paying customers will eventually kill your sim.
  • "As an owner, I am an SL aristrocrat." No, you are not. Anyone can be a sim owner, regardless of SL experience. As far as social rank, you are like a shop owner and your guests are the customers, not the other way around.
  • Hostile or competitive attitudes toward guests are uncalled for and will end the sim in short order. Once a sim and its owner get a reputation for nastiness, it is almost impossible to start over. If you want a fresh start after being a nasty owner or admin and losing your sim, you will have to create an alt and keep your other identity a secret.

2. Owner/Admin expectations

• Do NOT expect Sim guests to pay for any part of the tier. If you cannot cover 100% of the tier yourself, plus all costs of purchasing products for the sim, then do not own one. Guests sometimes donate, but consider that icing on the cake, not the meal.
  • It will take a year or more to get your sim off the ground and self sustaining in terms of participation. Impatience will kill the sim early.
  • You must be on your own sim as a player 2-3 hours a day when starting out. You must always be RP ready. Owners and admins who park themselves OOC or AFK display a lackadaisical attitude about their own sim and guests will pick up on that and fall away. Parking OOC or IC with a tiny group of besties and refusing to RP with others will drive the sim into the ground.
  • Rent should never be more than 2-2.5 times the prim limit offered the renter. Sims that charge a high rent for low prims will not attract renters.
  • Never assume an officer or business owner has fully read or comprehended online info or a notecard about his or her job. You must explain it in person.
  • If guests, officers or business owners are let go after only one mistake (happened to me), the sim is headed down a slope to shut down.
  • Having a one-program fits all approach to RP, such as requiring everyone to take all the same classes, regardless of prior knowledge or experience will drive people away.
  • Hire admins or officers only based on verifiable experience. A single draconian officer can destroy a sim's popularity.
  • Be wary of admins forming coalitions to overthrow the owners. This happened on one sim. The owner was persuaded to sell the sim after a coalition of admins ganged up on him and ran popularity into the ground in order to force a coup. of course their arrogance made them think the sim would bounce back under their ownership, but it died in short order. Never hesitate to oust or ban someone who refuses to play nice.

3. RP structure

• lots of required classes kill morale
  • required mentoring is similarly a morale killer. People want to play, not endlessly prepare to play.
  •  Too much structure makes people feel gagged and bound.
  • Too little structure makes people feel lost.
  • I recommend a lore that is sufficiently general to allow for guest creativity within reasonable parameters.
  • A few characters will get into using fictional race languages, but not a lot. Do not expect huge interest in learning to speak elvish, dwarvish or other race languages. Allow characters within a race to have their own language or dialect.
  • Allow diversity in beliefs. a state-endorsed religious cult tends to drive away all but the power-hungry.
  • Keep the allowed race list at 15 or less. A circus of one-of-a-kind races is silly and annoying to those who want to be part of a one-race community.
  • Rules should be simple and ethical. Show everyone respect and good manners OOC. Excessive IC nastiness should be good cause for a character withdrawing ICly from an interchange and avoiding that character. IC nastiness about beliefs or LGBTQ issues can go bad and OOC very fast. Sometimes people play a hateful character because that is how they really feel in RL and use the character as a vent for RL hatred. Be very wary of IC nastiness that becomes a sort of persecution. This also applies to nastiness toward IC conservative religious beliefs. a Character who is Christian may fall under the same IC fire from someone who dislikes that faith, the same as a gay character may fall under fire IC from someone who RL dislikes LGBT. If you see a pattern of persecution or hostility based on any aspect of identity, then investigate it.
  • Make character IC actions have IC consequences. If I am mean or haughty toward everyone, then no one will like me or talk to me even IC. natural consequence of my IC attitude.
  • Experiencing leveling often rewards people with increased battle ability for RP that has nothing to do with battle. Any sense that people get of unfairness will drive them away.
  • Factions need to represent a range of ethical perspectives. Two egotistical royal *****s fighting it out with no other factions to choose from will drive away everyone who does not wish to play blind loyalty to a ***** royal. Have at least one faction that is pacifist and neutral.
  • Races to have equal powers and huge discrepancies in power based on XP can cause discouragement and inactivity among guests. If I can never get caught up in battle level to those who have been on a while, then I will get discouraged and possibly leave. I recommend 5 experience levels, with 5 representing the highest level of mastery and no further progress beyond it. That way a newcomer can eventually rise to equal footing with old-timers.

4. Building Mistakes

• Poorly or non-artistically built sims are a sore thumb in the eyes of potential RP guests. Get or hire an SL building artist to evaluate your sim and advise you
  • Using up most of your prim allowance for the sim will lag the sim down and prevent people from being able to rent personal prim allowances.
  • Excessive scripts in objects will lag the sim down horrendously. Once objects are sized and textured or colored right, remove the scripts for altering those things. If the object is not copy perm, then save the scripts in a folder so you can return them to object's contents at any time.
  • High Avatar complexity and scripts will lag a sim down. Make sure guests are told to remove sizing texturing and coloring scripts from clothing or objects they wear. If I carry a mage staff around in an inactive form, have that copy of the staff also be relatively script free. Only switch to my fully magic-capable staff when I am going to use the magic.
  • Use phantom objects when possible. Too many non-phantom objects on a sim lags it down.
  • Some mesh or sculpt objects that are set to non-phantom have an extended region of exclusion way beyond the visible surface of the object. If this happens, make the object phantoms and then create an invisiprim surface to stand on.
  •  

Borelek Khurin

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure the purpose of this post, beyond the fact it feels like a broad assumption or criticism of your personal role play experiences. I could be wrong about that. Perhaps I just misread the tone. While suggestions are good, I also don't think there is a one-size-fits-all-approach. There are simply too many variables at play. People bring their own personal bias, likes, dislikes, abilities, and requirements to the table. What you may see as too much lore to read, another will be grateful for. There's no way to please everybody all the time, even with the best of intentions.

You addressed a lot of points that I don't think personally need responding to, since again, what you like another may disagree with. But I will say that in my opinion, since opinions are what we are sharing here, there are a lot of reasons why RP regions fail, and while you covered a LOT of ground you missed one important factor: the player base.

• In my experience role players are fickle by nature. If a new RP region opens that is of similar genre to the one they are on (or are interested in) they will leave old for new a good percentage of the time. They may eventually wander back once the new car smell has faded but by that point if a good percentage of people have also wandered off because there appeared to be a mass exodus for reasons no one can explain, then they will eventually leave again - and the RP region dies.
  • On the flip side of admin/owner expectation is player expectation. "Do you allow X? It would be better if you allowed X. Me and my friends won't play here unless you allow X. Okay now we have X, can we have Y?" Then the next player comes along, "I want Z because you gave them X and Y!" Then one day "I used to like that place when I first started but since they allowed X Y Z I don't like it anymore. They should have stuck to their vision and not let other people influence the sim/region." You're damned if you and damned if you don't, either way.
  • There are those in almost every RP sim that will at some point push the boundaries and test the rules. Or those that are just there for the shock and awe factor, not to contribute in any meaningful way but, as I was told on more than one occasion, "To shake things up a bit." This kind of attitude reflects the player that isn't a team player but out for immediate and personal gratification, at best attention, be that positive or negative in RP or OOC form.
  • Respect is a two-way street. I will be kind to someone when I first meet them but if they are rude or disrespectful I won't simply accommodate because respect is expected. You get what you give.
  • Regarding sensitivity, to be blunt people are more afraid of stepping on each others toes than being in any essence true to the story. I don't in any way advocate mistreatment of any sector of the community, but there also has to be an acceptance that they are no more or no less entitled than any other sector. Then there are those who refuse to play beyond their rigid beliefs of the way they have always played ignoring consequence because it doesn't fit into their pre-planned character's story. How people play in RP is their prerogative. It also means not everyone is going to play fairly, or want to play with others at all. And trying to tell people they should accept consequences is going to scare them away too.
  • Some players just want to be entertained. They stand in their rentals all day waiting for people to initiate with them. Then there are those who don't want to integrate but use their rental as a changing room before they disappear to another RP sim (where the rent perhaps isn't as cheap as yours).
  • There is also the constant battle between IC and OOC, and offense being taken from one into the other. Or personal attacks in OOC hindering any IC progress. Politics will kill RP sims quicker than anything else you've mentioned.

One point that warrants addressing; Some RP sims focus more on administration than building or retaining a player base. I've lost count of the amount of places I have seen with five or more staff on the board and perhaps less than a dozen players in the group. A message to any RP sim/region starting out would be don't try to run before you can walk.

You must be on your own sim as a player 2-3 hours a day when starting out. You must always be RP ready. Owners and admins who park themselves OOC or AFK display a lackadaisical attitude about their own sim and guests will pick up on that and fall away. Parking OOC or IC with a tiny group of besties and refusing to RP with others will drive the sim into the ground.

I don't in any way agree with this. Having been here a few times before, as you state you have yourself, there is no way to plan for the problems that will pop up daily. Having staff helps, but unless they've had prior experience in the role (and even if they have there are still a few days at least of adjustment as the dust settles) they'll still be relying on you as the owner for advice. Then there are decisions they can't make that will always defer to you. On top of that there are those who love to "cozy up" to staff and especially sim owners so ingratiate themselves however they can, whether that's through a bombardment of IM's to "chat" or framed as questions and suggestions - and since you mentioned showing respect to players it would be rude to ignore (so you are caught between a proverbial rock and hard place there). Also there are always little things that need fixing; the occasional addition that needs to be made to note cards or lore or rules, or groups, or something that requires attention. And things always do inevitably go wrong; a rental box doesn't work, the teleport system isn't working, some script that was working during the entire construction process has decided for whatever reason not to work now. And fixing all that takes more time.

You could argue that these things could wait, but while they do your responsibilities will weigh on you. Players want their problems addressed immediately. Even the best laid plans can fall apart, it doesn't matter how well organized you think you are. And assuming that owners are lackadaisical frankly smacks of arrogance. Most often than not owners are role players that came up with an idea and wanted to share it, but in so doing end up buried in the back-end of all circuits and loose wires that comes with the territory. So they don't enjoy the fruits of their labour; they sacrifice their RP time to make sure their players get the most out of theirs, then get called lazy or lackadaisical for their efforts. Maybe that's not the case for every owner but I speak from personal experience.

I recommend a lore that is sufficiently general to allow for guest creativity within reasonable parameters.

Sufficient according to whom? Reasonable according to whom? A person can be reasonable. That doesn't mean that everyone else is.

Regarding sim builds:

Much of what you say makes sense from a technical standpoint, but have you ever tried enforcing a script monitor? That apparently scares people off too. Because they pay their rent on your sim and feel entitled to wear as many scripts as they want, and rez as many high-script furnishings as they want, and rez as many vehicles as they want too even if they never drive them. People have a tendency to see lag as SL or LL's problem and nothing to do with them. You can attempt to guide or educate and teach but only if someone is willing to listen. Unfortunately not everyone will. One thing you forgot to mention regarding lag: the use of larger textures (1024+) will also cause lag, but not many people seem to know or care about that aspect either.

Well-constructed environments are subjective to personal taste and perception. What I might like you might not. I know of a few sims that are still thriving that still have prim builds with that aren't linked and have issues with textures flickering and the default wooden build texture showing through. No one seems to care. Rent is overpriced and no one seems to care. At its busiest the lag is so bad people sometimes cannot move without snapping but no one seems to care. If they did I'd expect they would vote with their feet not continue to pay, but they stay for whatever reason. For some odd reason you can focus on building the most player-friendly RP region you can manage but people will still flock to the 2009 prim and sculpty builds. Perhaps they are just happier sticking with what they know. But bringing in someone else to evaluate sounds dangerous, purely because that's subjective too. Who qualifies as an expert? Where does one find them? How much does one expect to charge for this privilege, and why should they be paid when it's your dream you're creating in the style that you envision it, not theirs?

Last but not least let's not forget one major factor regarding sim/region ownership; it's expensive. Not only do you purchase the land, and buy items to build and decorate and script and ensure things flow smoothly, but you also have a vested interest in the sim beyond what anyone else does. In many ways it can feel like a second job. Having someone else, anyone else, come in and tell you how you're doing things wrong isn't going to go down well. By all means be flexible enough to take suggestions on board as necessary, but by no means are you, as owner, under any obligation beyond providing a format on which others can play. If others expect more that's really their issue, not yours. It's your baby, you foster it, and trust you garner enough support that people want to nurture it with you.

Anyway I've said enough and can't imagine anything good will come from it, only that some balance needed to be struck. I'm not in any way disagreeing with all your points but I do think there's an onus of responsibility that lies with all invested parties, not just the sim owner, sim staff, or builder, but the player and visitors too. I personally think that all role players should experience RP sim/region ownership at least once during their time in SL, and most beneficially while they are in the midst of the RP circuit. Being on the other side helps give you a perspective from both points of view that you don't think about when you're just a role player (and I don't mean that in a derogatory way). It might help people to understand why there are so many rules in place, or why that lag monitor is there, or why they need to read the lore first, or have to change appearance before they enter, etc.

Edited by RaeLeeH
Typos.
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:
  • "Do you allow X? It would be better if you allowed X. Me and my friends won't play here unless you allow X. Okay now we have X, can we have Y?" Then the next player comes along, "I want Z because you gave them X and Y!" Then one day "I used to like that place when I first started but since they allowed X Y Z I don't like it anymore. They should have stuck to their vision and not let other people influence the sim/region." You're damned if you and damned if you don't, either way.

GAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

My three favourite ever RP sims - two Arabian Nights, one Ancient Rome - failed because they were overrun by Goreans and became Gorean in practice. One of them had been on the way out due to intense lag, drama, idiocy and story snarl-ups that couldn't get resolved, but the Goreans finished it off. The other two were fine but the Goreans finished them off anyway.  The moderation should have been better, but it's very hard to police a sim 24/7. 

The rest...in a nutshell, I think the biggest reason for RP sims to fail was basically because people were roleplaying as idealised versions of themselves, for wish fulfilment. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but when players don't have enough of a distinction between themselves and their characters, drama cripples the sim. Fantasies clash, and any insults or aggression are perceived to be personal.

Stories sometimes got lopsided. For example, in one Arabian Nights sim, there were a load of different factions. One faction became overrun with people playing corrupt characters within it, to the point where it became impossible for anyone to play an actual original version. 

Quite a lot of plain daft people as well; meter readers, metagamers, godmodders and so on. I don't really know how you guard against these in a freestyle open sim; Lord knows enough people write notecards or hold classes about the principles of role-play, but if people refuse to learn, I don't know how you can force them. In a similar thread a while ago, someone spoke about audition-only sims with restricted roles. It pains me to say it, because I really love the idea of freestyle RP for everyone, but the restricted, audition-only sims were the only ones I ever played in that had consistently strong plot-driven stories, minimal drama and a fair distribution of "spotlight" for each person. One comic book sim was the very best, perhaps because we were all playing established characters who were quite plainly not us. We were too small a group to get overrun and we'd meet up OOC all the time to chat and discuss the premise for the next scene. You could still meet up and RP spontaneously, but we all had enough of an idea of what everyone was thinking to be able to work alongside each other. It ended because the people running it were students and once they graduated, they didn't have the time to maintain it any more. I had largely segued out of it by then (came back to play an occasional bit part character as required) but I still remember it fondly.

I wonder if a very sophisticated sim risks becoming a victim of its own success. One of the sims that the Goreans finished off had its own meter, complete with in-sim currency and an "ownership" system for RPing slavery, as well as health and damage. It was also huge and very exquisitely built. You can imagine how many prims and scripts were running, and in addition, people came flocking and with the sheer numbers, there were many terrible and inconsiderate roleplayers. (Someone once tried, in group message, to godmod the deaths of all the slavers in the sim. That was worth it just for the ensuing carnage in group chat.) In addition, people would often be loaded down with yet more prims and scripts; there would be notices from time to time asking people to please keep their avatar complexity to a minimum but these were largely ignored and the lag became almost unbearable. I still held out a bit of hope, but when every other person was nadu-ing, ordering pugwash and talking like A Clockwork Orange, I bailed.

RP is so straightforward in theory...

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

any insults or aggression are perceived to be personal.

This is the primary reason in a nutshell, all other reasons follow from this.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

This is the primary reason in a nutshell, all other reasons follow from this.

To confuse the issue, quite often it's actually true. I met a lot of people who couldn't handle anyone not responding to their character in the way they wanted, but I also met many who used "roleplay" as a cover for genuinely personal attacks.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Since everything has a beginning and an end, pretty much, "the reasons why RP regions fail" is probably more acurately lamented as the reasons a region ends prematurely or the reasons the region didn't have to die the way it did.  But all of them will end eventually.  And new ones will begin.  My great complaint back in the day when I roleplayed in SL was that people would force a certain style of play upon those who enjoyed a different style.  Combattants forcing the pew-pew upon texters; paras forcing the 10 minute waits for posts upon pew-pewers; the mood never getting its anticipated climactic catharsis because of "Invalid!" cries 20m away and a moderator changing hats to intervene.  It's been 5 years since those days for me and my understanding is things have changed and stayed the same in the meantime. 

• Like 2

I already see a contradiction in the OP's statement.

On 8/11/2019 at 3:55 PM, Borelek said:
  • "My way or the highway" will drive people away. You do not have to accommodate every opinion, but you need to listen and show respect.

On 8/11/2019 at 3:55 PM, Borelek said:

Do NOT expect Sim guests to pay for any part of the tier. If you cannot cover 100% of the tier yourself, plus all costs of purchasing products for the sim, then do not own one. Guests sometimes donate, but consider that icing on the cake, not the meal.

Hmmm...

37 minutes ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

I already see a contradiction in the OP's statement.

Not sure I do. "Listen to your visitors and don't be too rigid" doesn't contradict "don't expect visitors to pay". 

Not saying I agree with everything the OP says, but I don't see how these two statements contradict each other.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Well the way i read it the OP wants a lot, but is unwilling to give anything in return.

Oh, right. Yes, as the general post overall went, I'm inclined to agree.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/12/2019 at 5:04 PM, Amina Sopwith said:

but I also met many who used "roleplay" as a cover for genuinely personal attacks.

Yup, there is a lot of those role players out there I've come in contact with.

Here's what I don't understand is why role play with someone they don't like? Its like it doesn't register in their brain.

It's like they will role play with you just so they can f#%^$ing irritate the hocky-sticks out of you and push you out the the sim, because they don't like you.

And when you try and explain to a Mod why you're pissed off and fed up with the sim. You get them saying " oh, don't take it personal"

YET the person who use role play to attack you on a personal level gets off Scott- free and innocent. And your the one looking like the bad guy.

This is why I use the mute/block button faithfully.

Because seriously I'm not gonna waste my time anymore. I'm just gonna block idiots like that.

Edited by Minx Kurosawa
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 9:55 AM, Borelek said:

4. Building Mistakes

• Poorly or non-artistically built sims are a sore thumb in the eyes of potential RP guests. Get or hire an SL building artist to evaluate your sim and advise you

Sadly there isn't much building content out and most of the sim get the same building stuff that other sims already have. And do you know how much it cost for a SL building artist out there to build the sim for you? An arm and a leg. Not only are you paying the Tier .. you end up with a sim full of  regurgitated building blocks content. Unless the SL building artist rigs the content from scratch. You will end up with what other sims already have.

4 hours ago, Minx Kurosawa said:

Sadly there isn't much building content out and most of the sim get the same building stuff that other sims already have. And do you know how much it cost for a SL building artist out there to build the sim for you? An arm and a leg. Not only are you paying the Tier .. you end up with a sim full of  regurgitated building blocks content. Unless the SL building artist rigs the content from scratch. You will end up with what other sims already have.

There are some beautifully built RP sims. Cocoon and Sanctuary come to mind.

Sadly RP sims come and go. Many are friend started and buddy systems where many don't stay. Other claimed large ones have traffic inflated by bots logged on often with BOTserv and Radgast. I will say I dj'd one and I see the ips, and was shocked that out of 60, there was only 12 independant ips, and they should have left media stream connecting off as an option. 

There are good ones that are focused on RP story, events, and equal progress. Then there are those ego inflated ones that are simply not worth effort when you are often rping with the same person behind 4 alts on the same area. 

Balance and experience is important, but Many well structured Sims have disappeared.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 8/16/2019 at 9:40 PM, Minx Kurosawa said:

He isn't talking about the content. He is more talking about the landscaping as well. Flat areas with very little flow. Lack of blending prefabs around edges to blend and setting proper region textures and levels to also flow.  Many don't take the time to adjust the estate level textures and create their own to better blend. Nor create ruff and rondom areas to look natural. There are some that do over time (it takes time) but there are some where it becomes a bit typical.

Builds can be often edited. Just because you use say one of Felix's prefab castles, doesn't mean it has to look like that. Retexturing is part of the fun. Creating additional mesh to flow off it seamless is part of the fun and artistry. Placement to form good market places, taverns, and flow is fun and attracts people. 

I created a sim size Mordor and tower that people were amazed by. The vision and bringing it to life helps RP flow, as well as creatign events or quests that take people through all areas of it, rather then standing around alt chatting. 

On the personal attack aspect. It is clear some people can't function in real life community aspects so will have the challenge in RP. You don't want to confuse the character as with some they challenge is to try and be the polar opposite of oneself. IT is easy to see when the rudeness and habits are just an aspect of oneself versus character. If they attack out of character, that is their ego and attachment issue and its best to ignore them and slowly pull them out of the RP with little interaction if they are causing flow harm. Im a very nice person but I am also very direct and very forward and intelligent. If im blunt it is for that persons well-being as well.

Edited by anthonytorino
  • Like 3

That or the meter is no longer supported.  DCS, CCS, Vitae, MCE, KROS, LaRPS, Osiris, GLM, Spellfire, Assassins Grid, URA, Chaos, the list goes on and on.  All dead and the MANY RP sims that used those meters are dead as well.

GM is still around, but it’s Specifically geared for melee combat and designed for Gorean RP.

I wouldn’t call bloodlines a RP meter, more like a pyramid scheme imo, one designed around spam non players, buying consumables, and other garbage pay to win mechanics.  It’s not even good, I have no idea how it’s still around and why the idiots support it in the first place.

There isn’t much left on SL in the way of meters for rp/combat.  Second life itself seems very, very dead.  My primary character in SL is 10 years old and my original one is now 12.  Industry came back after a year and a half break, during which time I only signed in to SL a few times from a mobile tablet (not a pc) where I just chat with some friends for about 10 minutes, never went out into the world.  Now that I have spent an evening back on a pc exploring, I can say it’s a ghost town.  It felt like end game a few years ago, this now feels like purgatory.  

Seriously, the first thing that came to mind was stephen king's langoliers; like time line had continued for everyone else not on SL and those of us still on SL were stuck in the past, about to be eaten as “the past” was consumed by the langoliers.  It was an very strange feeling.  

• Like 2

On 8/22/2019 at 10:13 AM, anthonytorino said:

I will say I dj'd one and I see the ips, and was shocked that out of 60, there was only 12 independant ips,

Colleges, universities... even apartment complexes share IPs.

My other half (DJ) and I certainly can't afford to have two separate connections so that we don't have the same IP.

Look before you leap. ;)

Roleplayers tend to move around in small groups. they will have an established interpersonal dynamic, and every character ends up being a different shade of a previous. These set piece groups are not super welcoming of newer people, and new RP places tend to cater to those who know what they are doing.

RP places fail because they are impenetrable to new players, and getting established players to mentor (even as part of a story arc) is like pulling teeth. And if someone can be tricked into mentoring or running intro classes, it needs to cover way more than a whistle stop tour of the build, how to emote, and how the combat systems gestures work. Super lucky if someone mentions active times.

The established groups go though the same motions as usual, start bickering, drama, regroup slightly differently and all go do this next RP build. Rinse repeat. No constant churn of new players, no one helping people get started, no one at the location when new people visit, location dead. 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Colleges, universities... even apartment complexes share IPs.

My other half (DJ) and I certainly can't afford to have two separate connections so that we don't have the same IP.

Look before you leap. ;)

You can also see ID's of clients. THose are not in shared ips on a wifi but independent systems. All the same peopel from the same dorm happening to be on the same RP sim on Secondlife is a rare chance. Apartments don't share the same IP unless an apartment is providing free wifi, and onec again all those happening to be from the same apartment complex is rare. No apartment I have been in has ever had the same IP, and even large hotels have split nets and masks. 

THey are alts typically using Radagast or other botserv's to raise counts. 

On the larger RP sims before interest of funds ran low, we had member meetings were peopel gave feedback, input and how to improve things. That is somethign that helps it flourish. 

Edited by anthonytorino
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, anthonytorino said:

You can also see ID's of clients. THose are not in shared ips on a wifi but independent systems. All the same peopel from the same dorm happening to be on the same RP sim on Secondlife is a rare chance. Apartments don't share the same IP unless an apartment is providing free wifi, and onec again all those happening to be from the same apartment complex is rare. No apartment I have been in has ever had the same IP, and even large hotels have split nets and masks. 

THye are alts typically using Radgast or other botserv's to raise counts. 

Not saying you are wrong. Just saying that it has happened in the past and will happen again. There have been innocent students banned because of the acts of one simply because they all had the same IP and blocking is/was done by IP not MAC address.

I was living in complexes up until 2 years ago. Most of them do provide wifi in the area I live. But you are going to pay for it one way or another. Usually through higher rental rates.

Posted (edited)

I think it's worth mentioning that you don't need a full sim for RP. In fact, it's often better to start small then grow with your sim's playerbase. A holodeck rezzer and some smart building practices can turn even a 1024x1024 mainland parcel into an immersive RP area.

Besides alleviating most of the financial burden, a smaller sim means the people who come to play don't have to go wandering in the hopes of bumping into another player on the sim. Everyone is together in the same 2 or 3 environments.

Edited by Penny Patton
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

I think it's worth mentioning that you don't need a full sim for RP. In fact, it's often better to start small then grow with your sim's playerbase. A holodeck rezzer and some smart building practices can turn even a 1024x1024 mainland parcel into an immersive RP area.

Besides alleviating most of the financial burden, a smaller sim means the people who come to play don't have to go wandering in the hopes of bumping into another player on the sim. Everyone is together in the same 2 or 3 environments.

I personally like this but I've been told on more than one occasion by other players (at the time as I was developing my own RP regions) that they won't RP in a place that they can't rent a home in. It's a catch 22 situation: the more homes you have, the more prims you need, the more space you need to buy to accommodate the prims. I guess this doesn't apply to all genres, but most certainly Urban RP (again, as has been my experience and not indicative of everyone at all). I'm all for smaller areas, but there is (or was) an underlying belief with a good percentage of players that small equates to small-time and full sims equals worthwhile (or "lasting" as misguided as that can be). I don't get it. If more people did maybe there wouldn't be so many regions empty?

• Like 2