Need help with performance.

SirBloopins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So that ^^^.  I'm on a junky laptop, but it should be able to handle the game alright. It's got a Turion X2 2.0 GHz dual core, a GeForce 8200m, and 3 gigs of RAM, way above the minimum requirements. I'm on Vista. I was wondering if anyone knows anything I might be able to do to make it run properly. Right now with everything set to the lowest I'm getting a very stuttery like 10FPS.

Edited by SirBloopins

5 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, SirBloopins said:

Damn, if that's the case they should really update the requirements.

The minimum requirements that are listed in the LL web site are just that ... minimum requirements.  If your computer doesn't at least meet those requirements, you may not even be able to log in.  If you want to have "acceptable" performance, your machine needs to at least meet the "Recommended" standards.  Even then, each person's definition of "acceptable" is different.  If you are accustomed to gaming quality performance, you will be much more critical of the standards than someone who is comfortable with the quality of cat videos on YouTube. The recommendations on that page, therefore, should be taken with a grain of salt.  Yes, they should probably be updated.  People have complained about that here as long as I have been in SL, despite the fact that the standards have been updated many times.  For the average SL resident, though, they are probably not bad.

My own personal rule is that I have always aimed for the highest quality machine that fits within my budget, realizing that I will probably need to upgrade or replace it within three years -- regardless of what the posted standards are.

Yeah, I came back to say it actually runs pretty decent on this. I shut down a few dozen more windows services that I was a bit iffy about doing the last time I cleaned em out. My CPU is running about 20% lower now (still get some heavy spikes), and everything renders at triple the speed. It's definitely well above playable now if I don't rush around. I just need to figure out what the hell I'm doing now. So far I've picked up a wine glass from a bar and walked around little art galleries trying to look fancy.

So you're off to a good start.  We all come to SL with different expectations.  Some of us realize that there's more to SL than we anticipated, and that our computers aren't quite up to handling it gracefully.  Others find that their machines are capable of a lot more than SL expects, and are disappointed that this isn't a game-quality world.  No matter what your own first impression is, I think it's probably a mistake to rush to judgment.  Give yourself a month or two at least to get a feel for the wide range of places here, and to get used to what your setup is capable of doing.  Learn how to optimize your settings to get the best performance you can.  Once you've seen what's possible (and have decided that it's worth investing time and money into your SL experience) then start asking whether you should get a better monitor or graphics card, pay for better Internet service from your ISP, and all the rest.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.