Issue w/ window access in Alderley home

Frigga Freidman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all - I've searched in the Knowledge Base and haven't found anything relevant - hoping someone here may be able to shed some light before I create a support ticket. Starting yesterday, I have been unable to operate the windows and window shades in the back room of my Alderley house. No problem with any of the other windows or the doors. (It *is* possible for me to control all windows simultaneously via the Access panel.) I had previously created a whitelist of friends and an alt to give them full access to doors and windows, and had my alt test this. No problem with the back room's windows. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I have not, but my first suggestion would be to rez a new copy of the house and see if that fixes the problem.

ETA: And my second suggestion would be to look for something invisible blocking you from clicking on the windows and shades on that wall, assuming it's just one wall that is affected.

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 3

It's actually two walls, but the fact that another avatar has no problem with opening/closing the windows and shades tells me that it's not an issue with something blocking the 'button'. I'd thought about re-rezzing, but that leads to my next question - what happens to myfurniture, etc.? Will it all remain in situ? Thanks.

1 minute ago, Frigga Freidman said:

It's actually two walls, but the fact that another avatar has no problem with opening/closing the windows and shades tells me that it's not an issue with something blocking the 'button'. I'd thought about re-rezzing, but that leads to my next question - what happens to myfurniture, etc.? Will it all remain in situ? Thanks.

Yes. (Unless I'm severely mistaken.)

Success! Thank you! I re-rezzed and the house came back (initially a different color but then quickly returned to my previous settings). All stuff appears to be in the same location, and I can now operate the windows in that back room. My access list appears unchanged. (Will need to double-check access with my Alt.) The *only* difference was the return to default 'keep doors open' setting, so I've changed that back to auto-close.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Frigga Freidman said:

Hi, Seba- Is that actually a 'thing'? Different from a support ticket? 

I'm so glad your house is fixed, but no, this isn't actually a "thing". There is no (good and reliable) way to get support without filing a ticket. 

But I'm happy you won't need to this time!

• Like 2

• Moles
56 minutes ago, Frigga Freidman said:

Success! Thank you! I re-rezzed and the house came back (initially a different color but then quickly returned to my previous settings). All stuff appears to be in the same location, and I can now operate the windows in that back room. My access list appears unchanged. (Will need to double-check access with my Alt.) The *only* difference was the return to default 'keep doors open' setting, so I've changed that back to auto-close.

That's exactly the way it's supposed to work, so I'm glad to hear it. 

We discovered a while ago that a tiny script error occasionally made it so the owner couldn't make the window blinds work. It was one of those things that was unusual enough that it never showed up in QA.  It was easy to repair, though, so we upgraded those few models in the region house rezzers. Since then, anyone who rezzes a new house has had the upgraded version.  So, if you ever find a small oddity like that again, try re-rezzing a new copy of your house to see if we've already fixed it. If not, then submit a support case. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Dyna Mole said:

Since then, anyone who rezzes a new house has had the upgraded version.  So, if you ever find a small oddity like that again, try re-rezzing a new copy of your house to see if we've already fixed it. If not, then submit a support case. 

Interesting!  I had a similar, but different,  case with my houseboat.  I rezzed an Evening Star (sp?), and couldn't walk in the door.  My partner couldn't either.  I put on a REALLY short shape, nogo.  So I rezzed a different boat, and then immediately rezzed the Evening Star again.  This time, the door worked fine.  Because of the timing, it seems unlikely that this was solved by a waiting upgrade?

• Like 1

• Moles

And that was a similar issue, also dealt with in the same way.  Like everything else that moles create, scripts go through a rigorous QA process before they are released into the wild.  Even so, some things don't show up until they have been tested in the field by hundreds of residents.  We try to respond to a support case quickly, deal with the immediate situation, and then write and test a solution that we can install quietly in an upgrade so that it's ready if the issue rises again.  Part of the design process involves creating ways to replace/repair our work when necessary, with as little inconvenience to residents as possible.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

13 minutes ago, Dyna Mole said:

And that was a similar issue, also dealt with in the same way.  Like everything else that moles create, scripts go through a rigorous QA process before they are released into the wild.  Even so, some things don't show up until they have been tested in the field by hundreds of residents.  We try to respond to a support case quickly, deal with the immediate situation, and then write and test a solution that we can install quietly in an upgrade so that it's ready if the issue rises again.  Part of the design process involves creating ways to replace/repair our work when necessary, with as little inconvenience to residents as possible.  

And you scripters do one hell of a job!

I'm totally not saying that just because of my undying love for @Quartz Mole, I swear... 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Frigga Freidman said:

Hi, Seba- Is that actually a 'thing'? Different from a support ticket? 

6 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

I'm so glad your house is fixed, but no, this isn't actually a "thing". There is no (good and reliable) way to get support without filing a ticket. 

Actually, if you are having issues that re-rezzing (or resetting the controller) doesn't solve and if it is during typical LL business hours, you can often get faster help by using Live Chat rather than a ticket.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Actually, if you are having issues that re-rezzing (or resetting the controller) doesn't solve and if it is during typical LL business hours, you can often get faster help by using Live Chat rather than a ticket.

I agree. Live Chat is always the first place I go when I need assistance. I don't usually file tickets unless it's after hours or if Live Chat asks me to do so. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I agree. Live Chat is always the first place I go when I need assistance. I don't usually file tickets unless it's after hours or if Live Chat asks me to do so. 

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Sorry, should have clarified... I meant to say that one should never send up any sort of Mole signal by any means such as grabbing one who is working and saying "hey, come look at this road that is broken"... 

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.