Black Dragon viewer Poser tutorial

I thought I would make a short(ish) video on the Poser in Black Dragon. If you like to photography yourself or make blog photos it is a really cool and useful feature. Yes pose  adjusters are available, but  they are scripted which limits the precise positioning. This is built into BD and has a finite control over movement  of  all our bento bones

Edited by Frederika Rayna
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 8

A few additional notes:

You can change your avatar's position on X Y and Z (hover height) with the Poser as well in the bottom tabs "Position" on mPelvis.

You can also double click to load poses.

You can right click to revert to the last slider value (the one before you started dragging), this works everywhere not just the Poser.

• Thanks 6

On 8/8/2019 at 5:10 PM, NiranV Dean said:

A few additional notes:

You can change your avatar's position on X Y and Z (hover height) with the Poser as well in the bottom tabs "Position" on mPelvis.

You can also double click to load poses.

You can right click to revert to the last slider value (the one before you started dragging), this works everywhere not just the Poser.

Thanks Niran! 

• 3 weeks later...

I just used Black Dragon for a photo for the first time yesterday, and the poser really is a game changer. The UI took a bit of time for me to get used to, but that will get better once I have time to really get in there and play around. The poser is an awesome feature!

• Like 1

Black Dragon's Poser tool is great. With the many variations of bodies and poses (that are based on certain bodies/shapes) as well as variations in sit posers and prop sizes, it's really useful in being able to tweak them to specific needs.

A note... If you would like to play with certain face or hand poses from a face/hand pose HUD while you're in the middle of a Black Dragon Poser pose, you can disable the bones for the face/fingers by selecting them in the list and clicking "Disable Selected Bones". This will give back control to the HUDs for those bones. The downside is that if you reactivate the bones, they revert back to the original start pose rather than basing from the current pose (that was adjusted from face/hand pose HUDs). Maybe I'm missing something, but it would be useful to reactivate the bone pose from the current state rather than the original state.

Edited by Kurshie Muromachi
  • Thanks 2

On 8/29/2019 at 8:04 PM, Kurshie Muromachi said:

Black Dragon's Poser tool is great. With the many variations of bodies and poses (that are based on certain bodies/shapes) as well as variations in sit posers and prop sizes, it's really useful in being able to tweak them to specific needs.

A note... If you would like to play with certain face or hand poses from a face/hand pose HUD while you're in the middle of a Black Dragon Poser pose, you can disable the bones for the face/fingers by selecting them in the list and clicking "Disable Selected Bones". This will give back control to the HUDs for those bones. The downside is that if you reactivate the bones, they revert back to the original start pose rather than basing from the current pose (that was adjusted from face/hand pose HUDs). Maybe I'm missing something, but it would be useful to reactivate the bone pose from the current state rather than the original state.

The reason the poser changes them back to the initial pose is because disabling the bones still keeps your positions intact (in case you disabled them accidentally) or want to use them in the next pose. This would need options... lots of options... but i'd like to keep the poser UI as simple as possible and it is already full of stuff.

Edited by NiranV Dean

• 5 months later...

off topic but quick question not necessarily worth a separate thread -

Is there a way to export poses out of Black Dragon and into Blender? Sometimes I make hand-held mesh things which need custom poses or animations. If I could pose with the object in Black Dragon and get the data into Blender somehow, it would cut done the amount of trial and erroring needed.

This seems a lot to ask, so I'm expecting a no, but it would be so very helpful.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

off topic but quick question not necessarily worth a separate thread -

Is there a way to export poses out of Black Dragon and into Blender? Sometimes I make hand-held mesh things which need custom poses or animations. If I could pose with the object in Black Dragon and get the data into Blender somehow, it would cut done the amount of trial and erroring needed.

This seems a lot to ask, so I'm expecting a no, but it would be so very helpful.

Sadly not. Exporter is in the works (not by me though, not officially at least since i never planned to add an exporter, though i've made tiny baby steps) by Linden Labs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
On 5/29/2020 at 5:25 PM, faith Jolifaunt said:

BD is amazing! Following this in case there's any news about exporting poses. I would so love if i could also pose other avis (like by asking for perms from them) - Can you imagine the photos? 

Posing others is not going to happen ever. I tried. Oz denied, even with asking permissions.

• 1 year later...

@Chloe Darkheart Yeah. That would be nice. But, there is the matter of protecting Intellectual Property rights. So, we can't export poses from BD's Poser as it would be too easy to make small tweaks to a purchased pose and export it.

The next closest thing to BD's Poser is AnyPose available in Builder's Brewery (L$4,500 w/export feature). I find it hard to use.

I do poses in Blender. Which has the added advantage of fitting my avatar perfectly.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, BronsonRedwood659 said:

Am I right in understanding only you can see your own posing changes when user the Poser?  And others cannot ?   That's been my experience .    Is there a way around this ?  Or am I doing something wrong ?

No, that's correct, only you can see the changes. There is no way round this except by using a third party tool such as the Animare hud. (You can use both together - use Animare first for broad changes that others can see, and BD Poser for the fine details for your photos).

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/27/2024 at 6:42 PM, NiranV Dean said:

Nope, no plans to add BVH export.

But why not? Or if you don't want to do competition to Avastar why not have a sync feature? because well even tough its similar even using the same shape etc... the truth its never be the same do the raw pose in world vc do on blender... And this BD feature its so near the perfection... why not this extra mile to allow creators to turn static poses into truth lifealike animations?

34 minutes ago, WarmAnimations Lisa said:

But why not? Or if you don't want to do competition to Avastar why not have a sync feature? because well even tough its similar even using the same shape etc... the truth its never be the same do the raw pose in world vc do on blender... And this BD feature its so near the perfection... why not this extra mile to allow creators to turn static poses into truth lifealike animations?

You won't be getting life-alike animations by exporting them to Blender.

You would have gotten life-alike animations however with the Puppeteering project (that i would have used to have Poser syncing and coupled with a planned VR implementation a recording feature that would allow recording your VR movements thus "motion capture" inside SL). You can already do that in Blender.

BVH export is pretty complicated, the only reason the Viewer has an .ANIM export is because the Viewer already had this feature from the very beginning (all these years), i just used it. BVH requires quite some complicated translations from the internal stuff to what BVH does. As it stands right now the ANIM export is still quite... unfinished and needs work and i'd like to get that actually fully working and fleshed out first before i try anything else.

8 hours ago, NiranV Dean said:

You won't be getting life-alike animations by exporting them to Blender.

You would have gotten life-alike animations however with the Puppeteering project (that i would have used to have Poser syncing and coupled with a planned VR implementation a recording feature that would allow recording your VR movements thus "motion capture" inside SL). You can already do that in Blender.

BVH export is pretty complicated, the only reason the Viewer has an .ANIM export is because the Viewer already had this feature from the very beginning (all these years), i just used it. BVH requires quite some complicated translations from the internal stuff to what BVH does. As it stands right now the ANIM export is still quite... unfinished and needs work and i'd like to get that actually fully working and fleshed out first before i try anything else.

well you probably don't understand that a huge part of the comunity actually don't like mocap AO's and they prefer to have soften and breathable movements on their AO's and this tool would be great to can bring the poses into blender to reproduct stuch animations. But the hope its the last to die... I have seen you later say the export option was not an option... so lets hope the BVH export ever meet the world!