Jump to content
FairreLilette

Fall Fashion 2019 is Here...

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I put together a makeshift outfit of stuff I already had.  The shirt is a texture by me, even with the word LOVE written in several places.  The top is not available for sale because the shoulders do not fit the Maitreya body correctly and I am waiting for BoM to see if it will correct the problem.  

Well, I had a go at it.  

Here is my first attempt.  I just used items I had.  

My opinion of it is...it's okay.  

I need some fashion that is more than just the skimpy dress and heels too.  Just like the guys often feel boxed in by fashion choices in SL, I do too quite often for females BUT it's mostly the layering that is difficult for females - prim won't go over prim kind of thing.  So, I do the mini dress and heels quite often too because of the prim problems.  

Snapshot_030 (3).png

Edited by FairreLilette
p.s. didn't have time to shape...this is a shape for something else I was doing....
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The RL fashion scene is all a bit Emperors New Clothes to me. Most of it is unwearable day to day. Lets face it, most of us slob around in ..... well for me it's  often black jeans and trainers. Perhaps a brighter top, plain red or yellow, or orange!

Here in SL, I do replicate that in some of my outfits, but always with heels. Only last week I bought my first patterned summer dress, which surprisingly looks good.

But these RL fashion shows......I just don't get it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

The RL fashion scene is all a bit Emperors New Clothes to me.

(snip)

But these RL fashion shows......I just don't get it.

ditto

I understand taking a fashion element and pushing it way past over the top to levels of absurdity as a way of making a point but some of these ... I'll admit my taste may be too vanilla to understand their point.  All I see is the absurdity.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

ditto

I understand taking a fashion element and pushing it way past over the top to levels of absurdity as a way of making a point but some of these ... I'll admit my taste may be too vanilla to understand their point.  All I see is the absurdity.

Yeah, I've been thinking about it...and some of the photos in this thread look kind of "bag lady" or thrift store.  I like (some) the creativity of the thrift store look.  I used to shop at odd stores like Aaardvark's which was on Melrose and Venice Beach California, and the clothes were this outrageous but I believe she was a costume designer for Hollywood also plus did costumes for Halloween. 

When I shopped from Aaardvark's, I toned it down a lot though.  But, it was all these kinds of clothes BUT not at 10,000 dollar price tags.  Her clothes were on average 15 to 20 dollars a piece - and all original too!   

And, she'd sparkle just about everything but again for like 20 dollars not 5,000 dollars and up. 

Edit:  Found a real vintage hat from Aaardvark's.  I swear she made one of everything in this thread...and she had amazing fabrics, and ALL were original.  Each one a little different and unique.  She used lames to china silks and it was so creative and for a pittance compared to these designers here.  

She'd sell a hat like this one shown on Etsy for 8 to 15 dollars, and the workmanship of the shorts I found on Ebay from Aaardvark's are amazing and she'd sell the shorts for about 15 dollars while the fashion design houses would sell a pair of shorts like the one in the link from Ebay for 5,000 and up. 

Her clothing was so unique and oft times gorgeous in the workmanship and again, each one original.  Quite a lady.  They should make a movie.  

https://www.etsy.com/listing/701642930/aaardvarks-odd-ark-vtg-80s-90s-green?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=Odd+Ark&ref=sr_gallery-1-3&organic_search_click=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-AAAVarks-ODD-ARK-Custom-Denim-Shorts-Size-32x18-Levis-Distressed-Destroyed/372634180896?hash=item56c2ba5d20:g:oOMAAOSw4nVZzXTn

Aaardvark's went out of business due to retirement after 47 years.  Amazing how ungreedy and talented she was!  

 

Edited by FairreLilette
Add in Aaardvark's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2019 at 3:42 PM, Matty Luminos said:

That girl looks creepy enough even without carrying her head. 

   To me she just looks extremely unhappy about the reality of the fashion model business versus what she maybe imagined it would be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The key to understanding fashion shows lies in how you interpret them. Those of us who follow these things also look at some runway outfits as a whole and think "Bloody hell, I'd never wear all of that together in a single outfit in a million years", just as others have here. But we know that when it's translated into the fashion that you and I buy IRL it's not intended to all be worn together. Couture is not Ready To Wear; it's inspiration. You look for the trends, you look for what you can take away from it, and that's what mainstream high street fashion does, too. Ever glanced through one of those home shopping catalogues and noticed how much of the clothing is in similar colour tones that season, with similar prints or style or detailing? That's the distillation of couture into RTW in a nutshell.

It's pretty much how shopping in SL works, when you think about it. Sure, sometimes a creator will release an entire look - usually split into a multi-part gacha - that's intended to be worn together, but on the whole what do we do in SL? We go to this event and buy a top. Then, at the next event we remember that top when we see a pair of pants by another designer that we love. Popping into a mainstore we find a pair of shoes that will co-ordinate well with the top, and there's a detail on the shoes that reminds us of that fantastic makeup another store released last week, so off we go to pick that up. And then we remember those earrings that we won in a gacha (the ones we couldn't think of a single outfit to wear them with at the time) but they'd be perfect for this look. And so on. We put together our looks piecemeal.

FairreLilette and OlliesOrbit have read the looks shown with those 'piecemeal eyes' in place. At the top of page 2, Fairre has posted an SL look that she put together, purely inspired by the F/W collections posted at the start of the thread: mixed prints (one of them a floral) with a big black hat and colourful sneakers. She also mentioned that the layering thing is going to be difficult for us to recreate in SL, but there may be ways around that (example: wearing sizes not fitted to our bodies over the top of sizes that are).

Layering is going to be in this year. Boho will be in (although, for those who love it, it never really went away). Shoulder duster earrings. Hints of the early 1980s are also back (I noted some 80s New Romantic influences in a few collections.) Fur accents. Fading monochrome (Balmain, Rick Owens, among others). Burgundy. Bright shoes (like OlliesOrbit, I would love to see those embroidered men's shoes in SL; David Heather please don't let us down!).

Balmain knocked it out of the park for me yet again for F/W 19-20, with a beautiful black and white collection. Loved the faded white spray-painted leathers, and the fringes.

BALFW19.jpg.d515c8626611498e0ea54c263312efa2.jpg

And Ann Demeulemeester's rockstar inspired collection was fantastic. (No, I wouldn't wear those fur 'tails' either, but the rest of it was spot-on.)

ADFW01.jpg.c1f4c73985fe586cceda6a0315c7d6f9.jpg

Although, as I stated before, it's 99% likely that none of that will make its way into SL. Two years ago (maybe three? I tried to wipe it from my mind...), the RL runways for men featured a smattering of sportswear - sweatpants and sweatshirts - and SL's designers for men did what high street fashion does: they cherry picked what they were going to be inspired by that season. Trouble is, many of them ignored everything else on those runways and have been 'inspired by' those sweatpants and sweatshirts ever since.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

The key to understanding fashion shows lies in how you interpret them. Those of us who follow these things also look at some runway outfits as a whole and think "Bloody hell, I'd never wear all of that together in a single outfit in a million years", just as others have here. But we know that when it's translated into the fashion that you and I buy IRL it's not intended to all be worn together. Couture is not Ready To Wear; it's inspiration. You look for the trends, you look for what you can take away from it, and that's what mainstream high street fashion does, too. Ever glanced through one of those home shopping catalogues and noticed how much of the clothing is in similar colour tones that season, with similar prints or style or detailing? That's the distillation of couture into RTW in a nutshell.

It's pretty much how shopping in SL works, when you think about it. Sure, sometimes a creator will release an entire look - usually split into a multi-part gacha - that's intended to be worn together, but on the whole what do we do in SL? We go to this event and buy a top. Then, at the next event we remember that top when we see a pair of pants by another designer that we love. Popping into a mainstore we find a pair of shoes that will co-ordinate well with the top, and there's a detail on the shoes that reminds us of that fantastic makeup another store released last week, so off we go to pick that up. And then we remember those earrings that we won in a gacha (the ones we couldn't think of a single outfit to wear them with at the time) but they'd be perfect for this look. And so on. We put together our looks piecemeal.

FairreLilette and OlliesOrbit have read the looks shown with those 'piecemeal eyes' in place. At the top of page 2, Fairre has posted an SL look that she put together, purely inspired by the F/W collections posted at the start of the thread: mixed prints (one of them a floral) with a big black hat and colourful sneakers. She also mentioned that the layering thing is going to be difficult for us to recreate in SL, but there may be ways around that (example: wearing sizes not fitted to our bodies over the top of sizes that are).

Layering is going to be in this year. Boho will be in (although, for those who love it, it never really went away). Shoulder duster earrings. Hints of the early 1980s are also back (I noted some 80s New Romantic influences in a few collections.) Fur accents. Fading monochrome (Balmain, Rick Owens, among others). Burgundy. Bright shoes (like OlliesOrbit, I would love to see those embroidered men's shoes in SL; David Heather please don't let us down!).

Balmain knocked it out of the park for me yet again for F/W 19-20, with a beautiful black and white collection. Loved the faded white spray-painted leathers, and the fringes.

BALFW19.jpg.d515c8626611498e0ea54c263312efa2.jpg

And Ann Demeulemeester's rockstar inspired collection was fantastic. (No, I wouldn't wear those fur 'tails' either, but the rest of it was spot-on.)

ADFW01.jpg.c1f4c73985fe586cceda6a0315c7d6f9.jpg

Although, as I stated before, it's 99% likely that none of that will make its way into SL. Two years ago (maybe three? I tried to wipe it from my mind...), the RL runways for men featured a smattering of sportswear - sweatpants and sweatshirts - and SL's designers for men did what high street fashion does: they cherry picked what they were going to be inspired by that season. Trouble is, many of them ignored everything else on those runways and have been 'inspired by' those sweatpants and sweatshirts ever since.

Yeah, I had the same thought about it not being ready to wear.   The ready to wear designers take bits and pieces here and there and try as best as possible to translate it into everyday wear for the everyday person.  

So, that is very true Skell Dagger.  

I hope female avatars can layer soon because I love the layered look...there is just nothing like it.  But, I have large over-sized cardigans and still the under-dress or shorts or whatever is coming through.  It is very difficult to layer.   We can layer some when it's built as one piece - like top and jacket together.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put together the outfit below based on Ralph Lauren's 50 Shades of Camel for this Fall / Winter 2019.  

I'm not the conservative type.  I had to "funky" it up a bit.  I need something new to wear for Fall in Second Life.  So, I've been looking at what designer's are doing.  

The trend is said to be a bit 90's.  Though I see 80's and 90's.  

I think the necklace is too much and I am not sure about the leggings but they were only 50 linden with a color change hud, but no camel in it.  

I dunno about the outfit I put together.  I'm unsure.  I will keep looking for new Fall stuff though...working with what I have first though.  

Ralph Lauren link below:

https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/pre-fall-2019/ralph-lauren

Snapshot_054 (2).png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/8/2019 at 11:18 PM, FairreLilette said:

.  

 

On 8/9/2019 at 5:16 PM, FairreLilette said:

.but I have seen this senior model and I think it is kind of cool.  What do you all think of a senior model.  Do you know her name? 

 

I like the ideea of having al kind of models on stage, oversized, senior, etc. For too much time fashion included only one type of body, a bit to skinny for my taste. We came in all forms, shapes and ages, so it nice to see a bit of realism. But, honest, she need to do something with that hair. a bit of color will reduce at least 10 yrs from her look.

Edited by Kweopi
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Kweopi said:

 

I like the ideea of having al kind of models on stage, oversized, senior, etc. For too much time fashion included only one type of body, a bit to skinny for my taste. We came in all forms, shapes and ages, so it nice to see a bit of realism. But, honest, she need to do something with that hair. a bit of color will reduce at least 10 yrs from her look.

I think the hair is perhaps to show how an older person can look without all the cosmetic enhancements including hair dye.  Although, I noticed a lot of the models have really recessed cheeks and I was wondering if they had their molars taken out to achieve that look?  That doesn't sound like a good idea to me...to have your teeth removed.   

Having models of all shapes, sizes, ages, I was thinking the industry may be heading in that direction.  Though, I do not know why high fashion designers started using models that are like a stick figure in the first place.  I've sewn before and I do not personally understand the need for it.

Edited by FairreLilette

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gadget Portal said:

You think they all look angry because they have to dress so silly?

I've heard it's called "the model's pout".  lol  

I dunno why.  But, it's now kind of "the norm".  Poker face or Queen's guard kind of, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2019 at 4:06 PM, Kweopi said:

I've never seen anything more creepy than walking with your head in your hand. If this becomes fashionable, I think I'll stay in the house longer

Jared Leto actually did this for the Met Gala, this year.  jared-leto-met-gala-2019-billboard-1548.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2019 at 5:58 AM, Skell Dagger said:

ADFW01.jpg.c1f4c73985fe586cceda6a0315c7d6f9.jpg

 

I want to recreate that 2nd look, as it's very "Pirate Chic". 

The problem that I see, mainly for men, is that designers are stuck on tank tops, sweat pants, little booty shorts, board shorts, and the occasional polo shirt.  I REALLY want to see some luxurious fashions for guys. Like brocade smoking jackets,  structured shirts, ascots, long coats ( example below) and things like that.  More refined and elegant than sloppy "bro code" stuff. 

 

goth.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Catrie said:

The problem that I see, mainly for men, is that designers are stuck on tank tops, sweat pants, little booty shorts, board shorts, and the occasional polo shirt.  I REALLY want to see some luxurious fashions for guys.

Tell me about it. I created a Pinterest board a while back - to point designers at - of things I would love to see in SL. So far, only one hat and a jacket (which is one of the earliest items I added to it, and which was a very early mesh item created inworld) have seen the light of day inworld.

Edited by Skell Dagger
Only spotted the typo *after* I'd been quoted...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Tell me about it. I created a Pinterest board a while back - to point designers at - of things I would love to see in SL. So far, only one hat and a jacket (which is one of the earliest items ai added to it, and which was a very early mesh item created inworld) have seen the light of day inworld.

I remember that you posted a bunch of pics in another thread, talking about it. I know Orwar and I have talked, quite a bit,  about the sad state of menswear.  Men aren't buying clothes, at the same rate of women, because the variety and quality isn't there.  I think if creators would make the items, they would sell.  However, they stick with the same stuff, over and over, because they know those items sell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

Tell me about it. I created a Pinterest board a while back - to point designers at - of things I would love to see in SL. So far, only one hat and a jacket (which is one of the earliest items ai added to it, and which was a very early mesh item created inworld) have seen the light of day inworld.

That's a gorgeous Pinterest board! 

Btw, have you tried David Heather?  He has a few things I like for women and men, and may have more inworld stuff too...I dunno as I only looked on MP yesterday.  

This is a nice jacket for men...but it's kind of pricey as it's a full perm...

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Asteria-Full-Perm-Mesh-Male-Coat-Full-Permission/8269294

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Btw, have you tried David Heather?  He has a few things I like for women and men, and may have more inworld stuff too...I dunno as I only looked on MP yesterday. 

Absolutely. I've been buying from that creator since his previous brand, Cashmere and Keane. To be honest, though, I've not been much of a fan of his more recent designs. The last purchase I made from him was this suit, which was almost exactly a year ago.

The jacket you linked to is an interesting style (standard sizing only, though, and the shape is a little boxy and shoulder-heavy) but you're right about the price. An item of clothing would have to be an absolutely amazing, jaw-dropper of a must-have to make me drop that much on a single thing (or even on a fatpack these days).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Absolutely. I've been buying from that creator since his previous brand, Cashmere and Keane. To be honest, though, I've not been much of a fan of his more recent designs. The last purchase I made from him was this suit, which was almost exactly a year ago.

The jacket you linked to is an interesting style (standard sizing only, though, and the shape is a little boxy and shoulder-heavy) but you're right about the price. An item of clothing would have to be an absolutely amazing, jaw-dropper of a must-have to make me drop that much on a single thing (or even on a fatpack these days).

Oh cool.  I kinda figured you had but wasn't sure as he's rather big in the Gacha crowd.

As far as the full perm jacket, I thought it's very nice and I make full perm stuff BUT never got into men's because I do not understand anything about the male mesh bodies.  I don't have one. 

The full perm jacket is a resell for no less than 50 lindens as it says in the description.  Maybe check Jackets and put in the price 45 to 50 linden and see if anything comes up. 

The description also says the following: 

Male Coat 
-UV Map 
-Shadow Map 
-3 Sample Textures 
-5 Standart sizes 
-Rigged 
-Suitable for mesh bodies

I'm not sure what it means?  But, it says it's for mesh bodies too.  So, I'd type in the price section 45 to 50 lindens and see if anything comes up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...