Time zones on the grid?

Gregorian Chant

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

ONE time zone --- SLT (Second Life Time which is West Coast USA time) BUT each sim owner has the ability to set the Windlight (R) as they would like so you will see various skies and waters and "apparent" times of day.  If you are on mainland and the person owning the property hasn't set the day (this is a new feature that most folks aren't using) you will see the region settings. 

This is a screenshot from Firestorm which has many more features than the SL viewer (but is more complex so maybe not good to try now).   You CAN set your own Windlight in the SL viewer. So that might be something to look into. 

image.png.99f09a651e77629e585bce75e311a647.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gregorian Chant said:

N00b question.

Do time zones exist in SL? Like say, if it's daylight in one region or continent, would there be night time in another region/continent at the same time?  Or is the SL day cycle universal across the grid?

No time zones, universal time everywhere in-world. If you are trying to synchronize your time with anyone else, then synchronize based on Pacific Daylight Time (or Standard time in Winter) - use the clock in the upper right of your Viewer. We have been calling this "SLT" or "Second Life Time" for years - as though it were its own RL time zone. So don't bother asking others what their time zone is when coordinating, but rather ask them when they are usually in-world "SLT time". :)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

No time zones, universal time everywhere in-world. If you are trying to synchronize your time with anyone else, then synchronize based on Pacific Daylight Time (or Standard time in Winter) - use the clock in the upper right of your Viewer. We have been calling this "SLT" or "Second Life Time" for years - as though it were its own RL time zone. So don't bother asking others what their time zone is when coordinating, but rather ask them when they are usually in-world "SLT time".

Thanks. I was actually wondering if I should bother trying to hunt around for a region in nighttime when it's daytime in the sandbox I was scripting in. (Not that I've teleported all over the grid hunting for the SL moon.) 😳 lol

SL mainland used to have a uniform 4-hour day/night cycle, with 1 hour of dark and three hours of light. The EEP project messed this up so badly that nobody knows what time it is any more. Whether the sun is out or not depends on so many factors that it's too confusing to explain. With EEP, people don't look at the sky any more because it's so screwed up. Many users just set their viewer to "daylight all the time". It's been like this for most of 2019.

("What SL really needs is more sky options", said no one ever.)

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/7/2019 at 9:55 PM, Gregorian Chant said:

Thanks. I was actually wondering if I should bother trying to hunt around for a region in nighttime when it's daytime in the sandbox I was scripting in. (Not that I've teleported all over the grid hunting for the SL moon.) 😳 lol

That one is easily solved.  Hit CTRL+SHIFT+Y to set your sun position to noon.  (Or use World>Sun Position>Midday)

On 8/30/2019 at 3:00 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

That one is easily solved.  Hit CTRL+SHIFT+Y to set your sun position to noon.  (Or use World>Sun Position>Midday)

I was trying to make a nightlight that would automatically turn on at sundown.  I tried what you suggested and it couldn't force the script to recognize the manual forcing of the moon.  It looks like the script will only work with the genuine Linden night sky.  But thank you all the same. :)

10 hours ago, Gregorian Chant said:

I was trying to make a nightlight that would automatically turn on at sundown.  I tried what you suggested and it couldn't force the script to recognize the manual forcing of the moon.  It looks like the script will only work with the genuine Linden night sky.  But thank you all the same. :)

Oh, I thought you just wanted light to build by.  Lights can be scripted to turn on and off according to the day/night cycle, sure.  But they won't listen to whatever you set as "your" personal time of day in the viewer.

Here is a day/night lighting script from Alicia Stella.

integer time 120//How many seconds between checking
integer IsDay;

Check()
{

vector sun_dir llGetSunDirection(); //gets sun direction

if (sun_dir.&& IsDay == FALSE//a positive value for sun_dir.z means its daytime

{

IsDay TRUE;

//Do something here for when it is day.

}
    else if (
sun_dir.&& IsDay == TRUE//a negative value for sun_dir.z means its nighttime

{

IsDay FALSE;

//Do something here for when it is night.

}
}

{

on_rez(integer start_param)
    {

llResetScript();
    }

state_entry()
    {

vector sun_dir llGetSunDirection();

IsDay = (sun_dir.0);

Check();

llSetTimerEvent(time);
    }

timer()
    {

Check(); //this calls the function to check the day / night status

}

touch_start(integer total_number//only for debug - can be removed

{

Check();
        if (
IsDay == TRUE)
        {

llSay(0"It is currently day.");
        }
        else
        {

llSay(0"It is currently night.");
        }
    }
}

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.