Would it be weird to give away lindens?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 8/7/2019 at 6:28 AM, Summer Woods said:

Of course the first post I make on these forums would be me saying goodbye to strangers.

Long story short: Got pretty devastating news. After struggling with what to do next I've reached my decision. My real life's changed. I no longer wish to devote my time to Second Life. I'm closing that chapter. I'm going to delete my account despite it being over 11 years old. This is what I need to do. But if I were to do that do my lindens just disappear? Seems like a waste Honestly I'm thinking about going around sim hopping and just giving people what I have left if the moment I delete my account they cease to exist. 

It's almost bittersweet saying goodbye to SL...

So hello/goodbye forums. I had fun lurking and learning about you guys from the shadows. 🕶️

There is nothing wrong with giving your Lindens away. It is not strange, it is not odd, and it is not weird. Give them away to charity, or give them away by tipping or donating copiously at venues and/or some of the remarkable sims that are still all over the grid that are there simply for the enjoyment of others. There is no reason to leave $L sitting in an inactive account. 

I do recommend, as others have here already, to downgrade your account to basic and clear out the payment info, and let it stay there inactive. Just make sure to write down your login info and password and keep that in your safe or something. I've known many people who have left SL for good for many reasons, only to see them come back years later, having to create new accounts because they deleted their original ones, or cannot recall their passwords or details to login to their inactive accounts. If the age of your account matters to you and the account name, let it lie dormant. 

I tell people the above when they are leaving SL forever, but I also say that if they leave their account inactive just in case one day they might return, before they logout for the very last time, delete everything you can in your inventory, save for one shape, one skin, one set of clothes. That's enough to have to start off fresh as a brand new account and not have lots of old objects, textures, scripts, and sounds in inventory. :)

Take care, and best to you and yours! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Markham Weatherwax said:

I tell people the above when they are leaving SL forever, but I also say that if they leave their account inactive just in case one day they might return, before they logout for the very last time, delete everything you can in your inventory, save for one shape, one skin, one set of clothes. That's enough to have to start off fresh as a brand new account and not have lots of old objects, textures, scripts, and sounds in inventory

I hope you are not giving this advice to any content creators because if they follow your advice there will be a lot of unhappy customers with broken content.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.