How to drive in Second Life

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, Haselden said:

If only there was groups hosting events for Motorcycles such as races. People would care more about this.

However, there isn't any. Only "vehicles" I'd say worth buying are horses, Tharlarians (Raptor mounts), or tarns(Giant eagles) where all the competition to win L is at.

So for people wanting to do vehicles scripts should look at the Animals to compete in Jousting & Racing events..

Don't forget the Giant Snail Races!

Snail+race_027.jpg

2 hours ago, Haselden said:

If only there was groups hosting events for Motorcycles such as races. People would care more about this.

There's Drivers of SL. An event every week.

There are many motorcycle clubs in SL. They even have "ride leaders". But I never see those guys on mainland roads. I expected they'd have group runs, like RL bikers, but in over 2000km of SL driving, I've never seen a club run go by.

1 minute ago, animats said:

There are many motorcycle clubs in SL. They even have "ride leaders". But I never see those guys on mainland roads. I expected they'd have group runs, like RL bikers, but in over 2000km of SL driving, I've never seen a club run go by.

They're called Road Captains in RL.

Runs like you are thinking can only be done in RL. SL can't handle the load.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

3 hours ago, animats said:

I just checked that group out... Seems more for people advertising for their vehicles/club events. Saw like one race for 300l...Assuming first. You can make way better L doing jousting/horse archery events in Medi-Fantasy Events & Information. Waterhorse tournaments using the  Unity Jousting meter tend to have prizes around 6500L first, 4500L 2nd and like 3000l third or by Joining Gorean Tournament Guild for similar prizes for tarn racing they do once every 2 weeks. Although, if you find any decent urban groups throwing L away I'll gladly check it out.

Theres also Tharl Racers of Gor. But they're using breedables so I never really got into it.

Edited by Haselden

I tend to really prefer vehicles that have some form of speed controller.

Script wise it's probably not the best, but i really like how most SCS vehicles tend to do things:

• PageDown switches between high and low gear, low gear has a tighter turn radius.
  • Left/right keys make you steer but the steering angle is progressive.
  • Hitting forward/back moves you up/down a "gear", your vehicle keeps going at that gear until you stop.
  • Holding back when going forward and forward when going in reverse will drop you back down in neutral and apply brakes.
  • Holding forward/back when in neutral will take you to the highest "gear" available and keep you there.
  • Going back into neutral without "braking" lets you coast a bit.
  • The gears all appear to do some kind of torque management, so that it's not just a fixed power, but constantly adjusts power to get you to the desired speed.

To me it solves a lot of lag related problems that vehicles have by reducing the required input count from the user, low gear is also great to negociate those tight turns that are sometimetimes required to park, do a 180.

Also finally i really prefer slow driving (same for planes really) to give me a chance to actually load the region i'm going through.

I know other creators have equally nice driving simulations, but this is just my prefered system at the moment.

The huge drawback of the SCS stuff is that it's all absolutely gigantic and, despite being mod, doesn't handle being resized too well.

Edited by Kyrah Abattoir

I've just discovered Manji's stuff and LOVE them. Though they don't operate the same as Atomic Infinity's stuff, all she offers right now are trucks. The Infinity and Manji vehicles actually feel like driving a vehicle and neither systems uses the stupid ACS kit, which explains a lot.. If only the Mani ones had a "cruise" control so I don't have to hold the throttle down they would be perfect. Edit to clarify: Manji Nishizawa - if anyone wants to search his MP for kicks.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Thanks 1

Manji's stuff is kind of cool, but the reverse gear always feels "weird" in my opinion.

That and the whole "nomod" aspect but well that seem to also be a big thing with many vehicle creators.

I also got myself a Lusch Hermes truck recently, not cheap but pretty nice, fine controls too.

13 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

I also got myself a Lusch Hermes truck recently, not cheap but pretty nice, fine controls too.

I have these also. Though the driving controls are confusing as hell (in the beginning) - when using the speed limiter, you have to shift to back to neutral, then back to reverse, than *back* to engage the speed limiter. There also are too many options for the controls, too many don't clearly describe what they do and how they affect the control, etc. Though for role play they are top-notch.

I liken the Hermes stuff to the top of the line for customizability in look and control (but it's still a *truck*), where the Manji stuff is simple-is-as-simple-does and that's why I appreciate them so much, they look great and drive great. Certainly I wish there were one lower gear/speed than the lowest that goes about half the speed as the lowest now. That would make reverse and forward better for when you want finer control, like pulling into one of the spaces in a parking lot (like his demo area). Another thing about Manji's is that sounds feel right and don't sound like the obvious loops others use (I have one that constantly "shifts gears" every 15 seconds 😕 )

On 8/7/2019 at 6:26 PM, animats said:

It's not that bad.

narrowbridgecorsica1.thumb.jpg.79337e46bcf74d4d5e72046ac0422cfa.jpg

Sumi's dune buggy fits fine. One of the cars available in the Burns area. It's not hard to get this car across this bridge.

(The water area here is mostly privately owned with a narrow and irregular Linden-owned strip for the bridge. Hence the difficult bridge.)

narrowbridgecorsica2.thumb.jpg.a53fe94ad3dfb289b3d5c6473c6d2e7e.jpg

A tighter fit. Axtel's Autos is no more; this car was free when he was shutting down last year. This race car is for drifting, not for road trips. It is too hard to control to drive across this bridge without banging into the obstacles.This is what you don't want for driving on Linden roads. It belongs on a track.

Yes. Sansara and Zindra have very few Linden-sponsored rez zones on roads.

Agreed. I have crossed that #%&$@!* bridge dozens of times in my ancient Lotus 7 knock-off. Fortunately I have a supply of spare fenders on  hand.

On 8/7/2019 at 8:26 PM, animats said:
On 8/7/2019 at 5:06 PM, LibGwen said:

- Circuit la Corse has a bridge in Fishers Rest which is too narrow even for microcars.  You either need to know where to turn off before you get there or get out and walk or teleport to the next rez zone.

It's not that bad.

Maybe it is?...
700253736_OopsCoupe_001.thumb.jpg.82a6ffb804417d6333533263fd235c8b.jpg

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.