Have you ever squatted on someone else's land?

purrrkitten

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1055 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• 1 year later...

I'm now a "respectable seller" with a premium account and 2 little lands I own "legally".

But when I was younger in sl, I was a squatter. But I tried to be an "ethic" squatter. What does it mean ?

It mean I was very carefull about the use of target land. I rezzed some stuff and waited a certain time to be sure the owner wasn't taking any care of his parcel. Only after a long "testing", I rezzed my home or skybox on the "abandonned" land (not really abandonned, as real abandonned lands are not rezz-allowed).

With this method, I was fired only a very few times and kept most of squatted lands for month or years. Most of the time, squatting end happened when LL closed the parcel, which turned as "abandonned land".

I lived for almost 3 years in nice homes rezzed on squatted parcels without harming any owner.

Owners must assume the settings they choose for their lands. In my actual lands, I close rezz permissions and scripts for others. Never been bored by any squatter...

On 8/6/2019 at 5:27 PM, purrrkitten said:

I found a sim that seems to be abandoned, and has their permissions set to where anyone can rez anything without it being returned. There's so many random houses and other things rezzed here. Kind of interesting and funny.

No.

It's wrong. It's stealing. And it harms communities.

And people like you are found quickly enough by landlords who care, so you won't do this for long.

I had a guy who rezzed an entire club, with a store with vendors and a redelivery terminal, and was happily partying with his friends in the sky and making bank off my cheap, vacant rental. I had another guy build a 10-story apartment building on a 2048 and fill it up with rentals to his friends. Group land is vulnerable to this sort of thing. They lasted a day or three.

Found another capacious over-primmer who used a technique I find sometimes where one person rents a cheap lot for 150L with 200 prims allotted, then piles in 10 friends across the sky with thousands of prims, thinking that they will get away with this as no one will immediately see them. They had a longer run with this technique but when this repeats enough times, I simply close the cheap rentals completely and only have the slightly less cheap ones.

All of these people's prims are now in Lost & Found and they are banned now and put on the public Do Not Rent list. As you will be.

So you haven't done anyone any favours. Go in a sandbox, the autoreturn is at least 4 hours, make do with that.

When you squat on land, it's usually Mainland because Islands have wealthier managers who more elaborate systems and ejecters. I personally don't want to pay for all that and lag sims to boot.

But I do manage my land and I do eject and remove squatters. When you squat on land that someone else tiers, you are stealing. And stealing not from a rich person, but more likely a poor person, because people dealing in land in SL, especially on Mainland, are not rich but simply dedicated. It's also not fair to the diligent citizens who pay their modest rents week after week and enable landlords to keep rentals for other people to pay less than they would on a Premium Account with a Bellisseria home.

It's especially mean to take advantage of landlords who might have COVID or who may be caring for others with COVID and can't log in that often.

So your vision of yourself as some fabulous and edgy hipster who has stuck it to the man is actually quite tattered.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Makhno13 said:

I'm now a "respectable seller" with a premium account and 2 little lands I own "legally".

But when I was younger in sl, I was a squatter. But I tried to be an "ethic" squatter. What does it mean ?

It mean I was very carefull about the use of target land. I rezzed some stuff and waited a certain time to be sure the owner wasn't taking any care of his parcel. Only after a long "testing", I rezzed my home or skybox on the "abandonned" land (not really abandonned, as real abandonned lands are not rezz-allowed).

With this method, I was fired only a very few times and kept most of squatted lands for month or years. Most of the time, squatting end happened when LL closed the parcel, which turned as "abandonned land".

I lived for almost 3 years in nice homes rezzed on squatted parcels without harming any owner.

Owners must assume the settings they choose for their lands. In my actual lands, I close rezz permissions and scripts for others. Never been bored by any squatter...

Makhno committed atrocities, too, even though he battled the Bolsheviks whose atrocities were far worse.

And it's not a victimless crime to steal, because you don't know the circumstances. The reasons why someone can't take care of their parcel are diverse, and especially now, could be related to the pandemic.

I refuse to re-make my open societies and close them for exploiters and "communards" like you. Most people are decent and most people pay for their rentals and most people don't squat. That's why we have communities and civilization and not sandbox terror and griefing everywhere.

So for the convenience of most people who pay for their rent, I'm going to keep "build" on so they can test their house before paying, and so they can then invite their friends over and be able to have them rez things without the group. They can opt to turn build off -- most don't. Because most people want freedom and convenience, not lockdown and bunkers because of the occasional criminal or terrorist.

So it's not a case of "must" that is forced on you by crime. It's a case of showing by example that most people are decent, and a few are not. It's a matter of seconds to remove their prims and ban them, versus the hours of people queueing up for a landlord to log on, or not being able to enjoy SL with their friends.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1055 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.