Have you ever squatted on someone else's land?

purrrkitten

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

How do people find land to squat on? I'm always a bit envious when I hear of people doing this.

Is there a script you can run that scans for land where build is enabled for everyone?

There are HUDs -- intended for drivers (see the Driving in SL thread) that will locate "rez" zones, i.e., places where anyone can rez items, including private land. It would be fairly easy, were one so inclined, to use of those to hunt for squat-able land, I'd imagine.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

There are HUDs -- intended for drivers (see the Driving in SL thread) that will locate "rez" zones, i.e., places where anyone can rez items, including private land. It would be fairly easy, were one so inclined, to use of those to hunt for squat-able land, I'd imagine.

I have many, many of these type HUDs, and among all of them, this one is the absolute best: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Sparx-Land-HUD/12128802

I find giant swaths of privately-owned land that is empty and set to rez with zero-auto-return all over the grid. It's actually amazing to me. And great for avoiding ban-lines to-boot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I have many, many of these type HUDs, and among all of them, this one is the absolute best: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Sparx-Land-HUD/12128802

I find giant swaths of privately-owned land that is empty and set to rez with zero-auto-return all over the grid. It's actually amazing to me. And great for avoiding ban-lines to-boot.

Oh, that's a good one. I need to save up. I'm not interested in squatting, but this would be really useful for driving around.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

How do people find land to squat on? I'm always a bit envious when I hear of people doing this. Is there a script you can run that scans for land where build is enabled for everyone?

10$l hud that scans for rez zones. Handy dandy. A few years back I made great use of the 'University' sims. There were lots of them, all gone now. Sometimes like 12,000 prims available with no auto return. Happy days, practicing building up in the sky out of sight and a boundless supply of prim allowance. Happy, happy days. Sometimes I wish I was still a hobo and not a fattened old timer drunk on the delights of life in Bellisseria.  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

So, after Alyona surprise gifted me with this HUD (thank you, Alyona, you're a sweetheart!), I can report that it is excellent indeed.

I took a spin on my Vespa through Nautilus using it, and found this handy little parcel with no rez perms. As I was feeling a bit peckish, I pulled out my cafe table and chair and rezzed it there.

You can see the HUD to the bottom left. It has lots of different options for kinds of information displayed, but in this case, the blue are areas where I can rez, green are no-rez zones, and red is areas with ban lines.

1172369557_Alyonas-HUD-Blank.thumb.png.47af3b5fc0d37669ff71902d53700768.png

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

How do people find land to squat on? I'm always a bit envious when I hear of people doing this.

Is there a script you can run that scans for land where build is enabled for everyone?

I found it by accident. I didn't squat tho, it seems wrong. 

22 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

NO.

Because that would just be wrong.

And I'm more than a little shocked by what I'm hearing here from you others. (@LittleMe Jewell, I'm looking at you!). O tempora! O mores!

/me smiles primly.

(See what I did there? Didya?)

Well, most of my squatting was done at The Forum Cartel Hangout, which I was a group Owner of for a while and an Officer when I wasn't Owner.   And I never used more than 5 prims and kept myself above 2500 m.

:SwingingFriends:

• Like 1

It would actually be pretty interesting to see like a "hobo" sim of sorts where anyone can rez down a home or skybox and set there home there. They can be like given a certain amount of prims each and once all the prims are used up it would be "no vacancy" until someone leaves or is booted.

I imagine it would sorta be chaos, but it would allow for a lot of newer residents, or even people who don't got the money, to have their own SL home for free. There can also be rules enforced and if residents don't follow them they get the boot. 

I'd totally set this up myself if I wasn't a broke college student lmao.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, OlliesOrbit said:

It would actually be pretty interesting to see like a "hobo" sim of sorts where anyone can rez down a home or skybox and set there home there. They can be like given a certain amount of prims each and once all the prims are used up it would be "no vacancy" until someone leaves or is booted.

There has been a sim that was just as you described except for the prim allocation. I forgot the name and not sure if it still exists. It was like a sandbox with a prim return set to a week or two. It was always fully used up whenever I looked. There's no easy way to limit prim usage and you can't rely on the self constraint of residents.

3 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

you can't rely on the self constraint of residents.

I guess that's true, but now this thread made me want to look around for empty sims with rez rights and little to no auto return even though I'm already renting a plot of land and don't really need it 😂

On 8/9/2019 at 9:50 AM, OlliesOrbit said:

I imagine it would sorta be chaos, but it would allow for a lot of newer residents, or even people who don't got the money, to have their own SL home for free. There can also be rules enforced and if residents don't follow them they get the boot. 

I'd totally set this up myself if I wasn't a broke college student lmao.

There was.  I owned it.  I'd started out trying to make a giant robot avatar for the lolz, but I couldn't get the attachments correct.  Instead of abandoning the project, I turned it into art, with these giant rotating robots as a commentary on social media and virtual worlds (because these faceless robots have their "faces" turn towards each other so briefly;  They appear together, but are actually in isolation).  But where the heck to put such giant art?  Sure, I had land, and prims, but giant robots you can see from a region away didn't quit fit the theme of any of my places lol  So I put a bid in on some Linden Land, won the auction, and realized I had a ton of prims available after putting the robots down.  I decided I wasn't just going to have this one display, or even just a museum of my own art:  I'd let folks build and display their own art.  Heck, since I liked hanging out at newbie places to welcome new players to the game, I'd always wanted to offer free housing to new folks if I ever had the spare land.  Now I did.

I set up a group, had some help from a few friends, and listed the place in Search for $30L/week (See the About Land - Options tab in most viewers).  Not a lot of folks stopped by, but the few that did either wanted to use the sandbox area, or squat in a special area I 'd set up for that.

Eventually I found a bigger and better parcel to expand the museum as I developed more art, plus a few things from my friends.  The sandboxers never cleaned up after themselves, and would just unpack sex stuff and then leave the boxes behind.  That got to be annoying to clean up.  The squaters were very  inexperienced to SL, and I realized my letting them squat there was adding to that.  I'd wanted the place to be a temp place for  folks to have a place to live in before they find a rental or go premium.  It was never meant to be permanent housing.  They were there for over a year, and rarely left the parcel.  So they never learned not to accept random objects from people they don't know.  Over a dozen years in the game and I'd never been griefed -- until now.  Those squaters opened something that replicated itself all over the place, playing obnoxious music, then IM'd me frantically for help.  I told them OK, I'm moving the museum anyhow, want this old parcel to be a homeless shelter/newbie welcome center, I'm gonna just clear the parcel and then start building a shelter.  Don't build in the shelter, put your homes back in the sky like before.

I never finished that build.  The squaters, new squaters, people unpacking garbage...ugh!  So many folks had littered the place in just half a day between my logins that I would have had to clear all their stuff out of my building and start over.  I called it quits, told them it's been a great time hosting them, but I just can't keep doing this.  I reset the land to not allow builds for everyone.  People still came by and yelled at me, like it was their land, so for the first time in a dozen years I had to put up ban lines.

My new museum parcel doesn't have build-everyone.  You've got to be in my Featured Artist group to have an exhibit.  I did, however, still subdivide the parcel so that one area COULD be build-everyone.  As before, no one bothered to display their art, but no one seemed to be using the sandbox either because it was only 1024 m2.  The ground floor, by a beach, I designated as a spot for folks to put up memorials to loved ones, as I'd heard of folks helping others heal from loss by setting up SL graveyards and such.  Silly me, to try to do something nice like that.  Somebody hogged the whole area, setting up their own beach house, with a locked door (HA!  It's my land and I have it set to tp anywhere and my viewer set to tp on double-click!) trying to keep even me the owner out.  Plus, they had sex stuff, and this particular region happens to be General.  Yeah, return objects lol  No more letting folks build on my land.

Two and a half years of letting folks use my land, very few bothered to say thanks.  Still, if I've got land I'm not using, and getting rid of it still won't pop me to the next lower tier, I might set up that shelter.  But I'd wanna run it right, and there are others like The Shelter and NCI already filling that need.

Well, in the mean time, I do have a place next to the Linden Waterways that is a crucial corner to turn around that I've turned into a publicly-accessible boat rez zone.  But I've got a decent return time, so no squater or trash-leaver issues.

Edited by Rabid Cheetah
Edit it? No I...dind't lol

On 8/9/2019 at 10:19 AM, Bree Giffen said:

There has been a sim that was just as you described except for the prim allocation. I forgot the name and not sure if it still exists. It was like a sandbox with a prim return set to a week or two. It was always fully used up whenever I looked. There's no easy way to limit prim usage and you can't rely on the self constraint of residents.

Did it have an art museum on the lower levels?

On 8/6/2019 at 4:38 PM, Extrude Ragu said:

When I started playing SL in like 2008 I set up a headquarters out of prims on I think yumix's land, we had those prim police cars that could fly if you held page up/down at the same time. Went around making a racket and having a blast with a friend for a while like this. Our headquarters was like 12 stories high too, it had one of those scripted elevators that were the fascination of SL at the time.

Great times

I'm the subsequent bona fide purchaser of those two sims for almost 10 years now.

Nothing's changed, except most of the squatters don't bother rezzing anything anymore.

I has had a little hideaway house parked on some forgotten land for years now. There is a lot of mainland out there with no owner, no activity and seemingly forgotten even by linden labs themselves. I sees myself as doin a service really, as I got quite nice stuff on it and otherwise it gonna be covered in junk and shopping bags.

You folks must be in the minority.  I see more people that "live" on abandoned land with no rezzing rights than I do places where you may rez something.  I've had dozens of those around me on the mainland.  All of those folks were all regulars too.  When I travel, I see them dotting just about every abandoned parcel (unless something has changed in the last 3 months).  Then there's the same people I see in the same roadside rez area, or even not the rez area, just standing in the street.  See the same people for months.

The ironic part?  I got restaurants and cafe's that go empty.  Most of SL doesn't want shelter.  They want to stand out in the open....for years I see some of these folks.

Edited by Israel Schnute
Wanted to combine posts, but see I cannot.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.