My current frame rate

choobaloo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1722 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes. VERY BAD.  At least 15 is needed to do most things comfortably.  Mine are typically 60 - 118.    You can turn down you graphics settings. If they are already set at low then it likely means that your computer isn't hefty enough for Second Life. 

I think the only time things ever got that low, was when I had a potato PC circa 2010. I don't even get that when my FS window is out of focus. Such as when I'm doing something on one monitor while having FS/SL running on another monitor--around 13fps, usually. Besides graphics settings, maybe check your draw distance--reduce it if necessary.

5 hours ago, choobaloo said:

Is 4.0fps

Is this bad? Really struggling to move around.

Very bad.  I stare at water when I need to up the FPS while I get the nerve to re-evaluate what needs to change around me.  

Reduce draw distance etc... graphics settings etc... already good advice given.

4 minutes ago, choobaloo said:

I have reduced settings as advised, which managed to get my rate up to 20-28 fps in an empty sea area, but back down to 5-13 in a busy sim...

There is one method that is ususally overlooked, reducing the window size. We all want to view SL in full screen of course but it does add a lot to the render load. As a bonus a smaller window also makes any fps issues less noticeable.

Also go to the Windows power settings and change the plugged in option to performance, then in your graphics controls set it to performance as well. It’ll either be in the system tray, or the pop-up window when you right click your desktop. Unfortunately this is the sort of performance you can expect out of a ten year old laptop. You may be able to upgrade the laptop’s CPU, depending on what’s in it now, and your comfort level of poking around inside an easily broken laptop. Replacing the hard drive with an SSD and a memory upgrade usually makes those old laptops a lot more usable too.

Edited by Lyssa Greymoon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1722 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.