Lyn Waffle

Making Meaningful Friendships

3 hours ago, AmandaKeen said:

I suffer from the suspicion that very few Gen-Z gravitate to SL [ ... ]

I'm not so sure. I have quite a few Gen-Z's on my contact list, and whilst I doubt that my contact list is a good representative of the demographic in SL at large, I never had trouble finding them - well, I never even really 'looked' for them.

I believe that what kind of demographic you come across in SL depends on what stuff you get up to. If you hang out at old school rock clubs and with virtual MCs, you're going to get mostly American Gen-X and up - if you hang out at synth-derivative clubs you'll usually find more Europeans (often Germans) of Gen-Y and Gen-Z. There also appears to be a lot of Gen-Z's in the blogging communities. Of course, SL being SL, you'll find all sorts of people in all sorts of places and communities.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 2:48 PM, Lyn Waffle said:

It seems I am having a hard time making meaningful romantic relationships and friendships now

But everyone loves Waffles!

• Haha 1

On 8/18/2019 at 2:59 PM, Selene Gregoire said:

Gentle reminder that by eliminating older people from your social circles could mean you are missing out on the one person who just might be the best life long friend you could wish for and/or the one friend you may need most in the future.

I am not eliminating them, they are everywhere and i do make friends with them. I just want more people my age because we can relate better is all.

So agree with you Lynn.  I've been in SL for 13 years now.  The tech has evolved;  The user-base has DE-evolved.  It's no longer about finding new folks to explore a new video game with.  I'll wait while the "IT'S NOT A GAME" people shriek at me, not realizing they're proving my point.  Now it's about being a pixel-snob ("ew, your avi is so 2010.  I only hang out with mesh-heads"), setting up a walled-in skybox (even though the view on the ground is stunning when the sun sets), putting security orbs all over the place to keep anyone but Kikki_QT_Pie and BigDaddyDom from coming on their precious little pixel-land (and of course set it to tp folks home after three seconds), and staying in their own little cliques.

I'd say we're at the third wave at this point.  The first Golden Age of SL, when folks were much friendlier, ended, but at least you could go to newbie places and make friends by being nice to the new players.  Now we're in a third era, where even the new players won't talk to anyone.  The fact that there are less and less folks means the next wave will be the final one, and the game will sunset like so many before it (Active Worlds, There, The Sims Online).  By then, folks will have already migrated to Sansar.

In the mean time, feel free to contact me in world.  I'm bored, too, but want to enjoy SL while it's still here.

On 8/17/2019 at 5:49 PM, Lyn Waffle said:

leave me alone

From what you say, he has explained to you probably why that’s what people do

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

The fact that there are less and less folks means the next wave will be the final one, and the game will sunset like so many before it (Active Worlds,

Active Worlds is still in existence at 24 years old.

https://www.activeworlds.com/

As is There:

https://www.there.com/

Only The Sims Online, of the ones you named, died a permanent death.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

From what you say, he has explained to you probably why that’s what people do

not really. I just dont have the energy. ill leave it at that

On 8/19/2019 at 11:05 PM, Lyn Waffle said:

I am not eliminating them, they are everywhere and i do make friends with them. I just want more people my age because we can relate better is all.

I don't understand why you can only seem to relate to people of your own age group. Surely it is your own interests, hobbies, taste in films and music that make you relate to people regardless of their age. Unless when you started this thread, 'Making Meaningful Friendships', you actually meant 'Making Meaningful Relationships'

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Layla Claven said:

I don't understand why you can only seem to relate to people of your own age group. Surely it is your own interests, hobbies, taste in films and music that make you relate to people regardless of their age. Unless when you started this thread, 'Making Meaningful Friendships', you actually meant 'Making Meaningful Relationships'

no, just no. thought it was common sense. I really don't feel like explaining.

• Haha 1

Thank You all who gave great advice. I will put it it practice. I am now wondering how do you lock this discussion. I wont be replying or following since I got what I needed from it.

Take care!

• Like 1