How to sell land but not have objects auto returned?

Evangeline Arcadia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 494 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm planning on selling some land I have to a family member who is then going to let me continue to use it as I am currently (rez objects etc.). I have a  lot of objects set out, and we want to be able complete the land sale without the objects being auto-returned to me (will be a pain to set them out again). Is there a way to do this?

We are both in a group that could be set under the About Land>Options tab for Build, Object Entry, Run Scripts, so that I'll be able to do these things.

If I set the land 'Auto Return other Resident's objects' to Off, will it remain off once I have sold it, so that then they can quickly set the group in the Options tab as above? Or would that not work?

Any help would be appreciated:)

There is only one way to do it without having your stuff auto-returned:

• The purchaser creates a new group or uses an existing group, for which they are an owner.
  • You must be invited to the group (role: Officer; permissions - cannot sell or abandon land).
  • Select all your stuff* - and set it to the new group (since you own the land they should not return)
  • Change the land group to the purchaser's group.
  • Purchaser deeds the land to the purchaser's group (and donates that tier)

That's it, the purchaser is now the owner and your stuff should be set to that group. If the owner sells that land to themselves (so it is not deeded to the group anymore) then your stuff will be returned because the land has changed ownership.

NOTE: If the land is *already* deeded to a group, the only way is you make the purchaser an owner of that group, then demote yourself to an officer level (unless you both trust each other implicitly.)

* Selection only your stuff and all of it: In build menu set the option to select only objects you own. Then alt-cam WAY up high so you can see the entire parcel. Then with edit window open (CTRL+3) drag a rectangle from outside the parcel borders and drag to enclose the entire parcel - this should select everything you own. Now in the Edit box, go to GENERAL tab and change the group there. This will change the group for all selected objects.

• Moles

When land changes ownership autoreturn automatically defaults to 0 (off). As long as the new owner doesn't turn it back on until after you set the objects to the same group the land is set to they will not be returned. 

Edited by Abnor Mole
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

10 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

When land changes ownership autoreturn automatically defaults to 0 (off). As long as the new owner doesn't turn it back on until after you set the objects to the same group the land is set to they will not be returned. 

As a Mole with special powers that may be the case. However, when setting land to sell you are asked: if you want to "Include objects..." - even if you say yes, if the objects are no copy they will be returned because when someone buys the parcel, ownership of all objects left on the land will transfer to them, no-transfer items will be automatically returned. This is the issue, I understood, the OP is trying to prevent. Also, what you are referring to happens when land is abandoned - all object will remain until a Linden manually returns them (I've experimented with this a couple time, once it was two weeks before they were returned) :D

Edited by Alyona Su

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

As a Mole with special powers that may be the case. However, when setting land to sell you are asked: if you want to "Include objects..." - even if you say yes, if the objects are no copy they will be returned because when someone buys the parcel, ownership of all objects left on the land will transfer to them, no-transfer items will be automatically returned. This is the issue, I understood, the OP is trying to prevent. Also, what you are referring to happens when land is abandoned - all object will remain until a Linden manually returns them (I've experimented with this a couple time, once it was two weeks before they were returned) :D

My experience of buying non-abandoned land has been that the auto-return setting is initially 0 (off) and that the no-transfer items remain on the land until I set the auto-return setting to a different value or otherwise manually return the items to the item owner.  I can't remember when I haven't had to do something to return items left by the previous land owner.  

• Like 1

Okay-doky - I admit it's now been some time since I purchased mainland from another person :) Since the new Bellisseria I've only sold off what I've had and picked it clean beforehand. :D Though I'm sure you're aware the trepidation of the OP's question. Nail-biter for sure.

• Moles
On 8/9/2019 at 11:32 AM, Alyona Su said:

There are no special powers involved. It's how land transfer of ownership works in general. When you sell land from one person to another or deed it to a group (because that is a transfer of ownership as well) autoreturn defaults to zero regardless of whether ownership of transferable object on the parcel are sold with it or not. It also defaults to zero if you subdivide parcels. Nothing gets returned until the new owner turns autoreturn on again. And then it will only return objects not owned by them or set to the same group the land is set or deeded to when they do. 

You can tell how many and even what objects will be returned after the land sale once they turn on autoreturn by looking under About Land > Objects tab. Anything in the "Owned by others" category will be returned once autoreturn is enabled. If you click "Show" those items will be highlighted (if they are in view). 

Trust me. I do transfers of ownership of land all the time between deeding them to groups and between accounts. The autoreturn defaults to zero. Sometimes I think it is a pain because I sometimes forget to turn it back on, but then I remember it works like that for a good reason. That reason is to prevent the very thing the OP is wanting to avoid... having everything returned the instant the land transfers ownership whether they want it returned or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

Trust me.

I do. :)

So in that case the steps that could be safely performed (to answer the Original Post) would be something like:

• Set land for sale (and only to a specific name)
  • New owner sets land to a group.
  • Add previous owner to group (or ensure they are there already)
  • Previous owner sets all their objects to the new land group.
  • New owner can now turn on auto-return.

Is that right?  :D

My first instruction set was the "sure-fire, will definitely work" way to do it. LOL Surely you can understand the nervousness in going through this procedure; even if nothing will be lost, it would be a pain in the derrière to have to set it all up again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moles

Bingo. You got it. Alternatively, they could set the land to the same group as it was before, and the previous owner would just have to set any items that were missed before to that group. But yes, that would do it. 

Looking under About land for anything showing as "Owned by others" after the sale is the key. If that is 0 then autoreturn can be enabled without anything being returned.

• Thanks 3

• 1 year later...

Gonna bump this, and for a good reason. I have decided to sell my land to a specific person, that sold it to me last year, she has agreed to still let me use the land, and I didn't want to sell her the objects, or have everything auto returned to me. It's been a long time since I sold land, and I usually clean it out before I do. But this is a special case. The Wiki in Firestorm wasn't very clear on this, so I'm happy that this thread was here. So I'm bumping this for anyone else that may have the same questions. :)

The objects remain on the land when it is sold, and ownership of those objects doesn't transfer to the buyer unless they are 'Transfer' and you select the button to sell the objects with the land. That means if you sell the land to a new owner and you want to keep everything there for yourself, you just sell the land and everything on it stays the same. It really is that simple.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I have many times on owned sims and rented sims sold it to an alt selecting with objects and all remained. It defaults to 0 for that reason. The alt can then set the group or other person. However if they deed the group and set to auto return non group items and the items are on another group then it will return those items. 

If you own and not rent the land you just reclaim it and set it any way you want. You an also use debug to run a object change but it will take time to do the enire sim and all objects if their is a lot, and restart after.  All oject owners also have to be estate level and run it for their items. 

Edited by Kavarek

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 494 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.