what is the script limit for a full region in the way of memory

MaxSilverDragon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm going to have 2000 objects out I think their total combined cost will be about 2 GB of scripts memory I'm not planning to have it open to anyone else if it's probably like too much or if not I might double the amount of objects I have no clue how much a Sim can *****ing take

I'm also interested in how much memory a homestead has

Edited by MaxSilverDragon

64 KB * 2000 = 128000 KB = 125 MB, not 2048 MB (2 GB)
Unless you're going to have over 10 scripts per object?

That said, scripts rarely use anywhere near the reported amount of memory, it's just the maximum limit they're allowed to use.

Regarding Homesteads, I don't know if there's a flat amount of memory a Homestead sim can use, but multiple Homesteads (4?) share a single core on a server, so your sim will be affected by other sims you can't control.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

Sounds similar to an Amaretto horse racket where it isn't prims or scripts, but script timing each consumes.

I have to deal with Amaretto horse nuts in every sim I own land in and every one of them thinks as long as the sim is running near 45 FPS all is well while completely ignoring that their hobby horses are consuming 25% - 50% of the region's available script timing while they only own/rent 6.25% of the land in the region.

Each horse uses 0.046ms of script timing at all times just sitting there doing nothing.

So with all that said, I do hope with all the script timing your application consumes, that you are using your proportional share based on the percentage of land you own in the region.

if I do that it's going to be on a Sim isolated from everybody else I wouldn't want any neighbors to deal with it so 100% Private Island 

all I need is 2,000 Farms to pay for the rent of a Sim

I'll probably start out renting a SIM from someone but I'm going to immediately turn around and buy my own when I make enough money for that initial $1,000 upfront cost from Linden labs

I think the point is that the memory limits won't matter so much because the scripts will run out of real time first -- they'll use up each other's slot at each simulation frame, lagging each other. For many breedables that may not matter, as long as you don't try to allow visitors or vendors or anything else scripted in the region.

One warning, though: Most breedables have only a brief market window before they're nearly worthless -- it's basically a Ponzi scheme with fur -- so except for a few who get in on the ground floor, it's an almost sure way to lose money, and the longer you "hold 'em" the more certain the losses.

The assumptions about script memory are completely wrong.

- Scripts don't use 64kb memory - they CAN use up to 64kb - what they really use - only the script itself knows that - external meters have no clue and only show the max.

- Equal scripts are only stored once.

That means: you have a script that - let's say - uses 10kb of memory. Now you copy that object so you have 2000 out there. How much script memory is used?
10kb code! (and NOT 2000x10!) - plus variables for each script of course.

So memory will be no limit here. But script execution time.

If you have more scripts than the sim can handle the "scripts run" will show a percentage under 100%

If you have a "scripts run" of 50% that means that only 50% of the scripts are executed in every frame. That means that every script runs at half speed. If you put out more scripts the processing speed of each script will sink further. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nova Convair said:

That means: you have a script that - let's say - uses 10kb of memory. Now you copy that object so you have 2000 out there. How much script memory is used?
10kb code! (and NOT 2000x10!) - plus variables for each script of course.

And that applies to bytecode. Each script's actual used memory still consumes a memory footprint in the sim and is reallocated with each sim restart.

• 2 weeks later...

You know, this issue plagues me, too, since I began trying to police scripts more on sims with lots of active objects and low script time, especially one that kept going down to its knees almost like on schedule (until the Lindens moved it to another server, but even so, I'm going through and trying to weed out high time scripts).

I don't know if there is some spec like "the maximum script time on a homestead". Because what matters is the interplay of all the scripts and avatars and pets on *your* homestead. It's the accumulation of them, along with the avatars, that can make it laggy.

Sometimes it seems some really high time scripts are whaling away on a sim and it isn't laggy at all, but that's because there aren't more than 2000 scripts anyway. I find when it gets above 5000 it becomes problematic and 6000 means it is almost out of time. Yet they limp along somehow.

In this regard, I do wonder if what you can't see doesn't lag you personally. Recently, a tenant put up walls around her store because it seemed that her customers would arrive and have everything rez faster if they didn't have the whole sim to look at. I suppose that's the theory behind the decision by many merchants to put stores up in the sky in boxes.

I don't allow big walls like that so in exchange for removal I went around trying to delete things that might lag the sim -- to my horror, I found some sion chickens (yes, I still have them!) had hatched their eggs while I hadn't paid attention, awful! But even with them gone there was still little script time -- it really means deleting bunches of stuff, furniture not being used, doors that could simply be taken off, scripts inside trees which can be removed and they still work, etc. etc.

But I do wonder if what you don't/can't see doesn't lag you. I should think it would still lag the sim overall anyway.

14 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I don't know if there is some spec like "the maximum script time on a homestead". Because what matters is the interplay of all the scripts and avatars and pets on *your* homestead. It's the accumulation of them, along with the avatars, that can make it laggy.

I don't think there's an actual limit on maximum script time, but there IS a limit on how much time overall the sim can spend on "working" within a certain time limit. Scripts have the lowest priority, so the longer anything else is taking, the less total script time there will be for all scripts.

18 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Sometimes it seems some really high time scripts are whaling away on a sim and it isn't laggy at all, but that's because there aren't more than 2000 scripts anyway. I find when it gets above 5000 it becomes problematic and 6000 means it is almost out of time. Yet they limp along somehow.

Based on some testing @animats did, if I recall correctly, a Homestead can't practically handle more than 4000 scripts recently. Full sim starts struggling at 6-8000.

20 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

In this regard, I do wonder if what you can't see doesn't lag you personally. Recently, a tenant put up walls around her store because it seemed that her customers would arrive and have everything rez faster if they didn't have the whole sim to look at. I suppose that's the theory behind the decision by many merchants to put stores up in the sky in boxes.

In this thread's context, that's not true. Scripts do not cause lag for your viewer, even if you're "looking" at 10000 of them. The actual objects in your view -- the prims, the mesh, the particles and textures -- are what cause lower framerates for you. Object updates also cause network lag for you, which can sometimes be a side effect of scripts but not all scripts cause object updates (or many).

11 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

But I do wonder if what you don't/can't see doesn't lag you. I should think it would still lag the sim overall anyway.

There are three different answers to this, depending on what kind of lag you have in mind:

• Script memory and script time are all on the server and affect the entire sim equally.
  • Visual effects run by scripts (rezzers, moving objects, texture changers etc., etc.) will affect you only if they take place within your draw distance.
  • All objects within your draw distance will affect your performance regardless of whether they are hidden or visible. However, hidden objects will have considerably less impact that visible ones.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.