What's your biggest fear?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Fritigern Gothly said:

Why would you fear a water bear? They are super tiny, nearly indestructible, and seem to play crucial roles in keeping our water clean!

Never mind those li'l mites that live in our eyelids, or the fact that the bugs in our gut outnumber the cells in our bodies, and secrete chemicals that affect our thinking, so we'll eat stuff they like.

Free will? Pffft!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

They are disgusting little bugs, one step down the Icky Things ladder from centipedes, which are already pretty near the bottom.

Don't Google "centipede vs snake". Anyone who fears centipedes will discover that fear is bigger than they imagined.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Don't Google "centipede vs snake". Anyone who fears centipedes will discover that fear is bigger than they imagined.

Thank you for the warning.  I will avoid the temptation.  Now, do not think about an elephant.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

She looks like a hamburger bun... with attitude.

Those damm mites...I try not to remember what they look like when feeling them buried into my leg, causing it to itch mercilessly. Mites from the grass.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

This thread has reminded me of the fact that the most beautiful things on Earth are also the most deadly.

Doesn't mean we can't appreciate the beauty while avoiding death.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTogR23Z_21y35LT2-z_55

TW_DeadlyBeautty04_500.jpg

What is deadly about these two? They both look pretty, and pretty harmless, too.

Although perhaps the bottom one might be a piece of Kryptonite, I suppose...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Caerolle Llewellyn said:

What is deadly about these two? They both look pretty, and pretty harmless, too.

Although perhaps the bottom one might be a piece of Kryptonite, I suppose...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalmia_latifolia

https://www.the-open-mind.com/the-most-beautiful-but-deadly-crystals-on-the-planet/

Found a better link for the laurel.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

It is cute, especially far off in some body of water that I'll never visit.

Now silverfish, that's another matter. I was visiting San Francisco recently and awoke to one sitting on my chest, gleaming in the moonlight!!  I still haven't recovered..

I agree with the silverfish.  One crawled out of my dental floss once.  It must have been living in my dental floss.  I never really got over it.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Gadget Portal said:

Those women that know how good looking they are and have no souls to offset it. 

I've swam with sharks and faced down insane, armed men. Not scary. Those women? Frightening. 

This fear is easily dealt with, Gadget.

Just keep your distance from me.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Those damm mites...I try not to remember what they look like when feeling them buried into my leg, causing it to itch mercilessly. Mites from the grass.

When I was a child, and read books out in the back yard in summer, I'd occasionally find a mite scurrying across a page. I'd try to coax the li'l bugger to a spot in the text where it would act as a comma, changing the meaning of a sentence. Failing that, I'd chase it into a drawing or photograph, where it would appear as large as a dog or that elephant I'm not thinking about.

image.png

• Like 3

When I was a child, and read books out in the back yard in summer, I'd occasionally find a mite scurrying across a page. I'd try to coax the li'l bugger to a spot in the text where it would act as a comma, changing the meaning of a sentence. Failing that, I'd chase it into a drawing or photograph, where it would appear as large as a dog or that elephant I'm not thinking about.

image.png

Chiggers. I freakin do not like chiggers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I lived through a chigger pestilence once as a youngster.  I murdered a lot of chiggers.   Never saw one again since.  It was horrible!  There must have been 10 trillion chiggers!  

I'm the one they always attack first and by the time they are done feeding on me they aren't hungry so they leave everyone else alone. Same with the damn ants, skeeters, anything that flies and bites or stings.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Thanks for the links! :)

Funny, I am from Kentucky and they have a Mountain Laurel festival in eastern Ky every year, or at least used to.

And pretty green rocks that are radioactive and emit radon. Nice. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I'm the one they always attack first and by the time they are done feeding on me they aren't hungry so they leave everyone else alone. Same with the damn ants, skeeters, anything that flies and bites or stings.

I think you need to put menthol on your skin or something like that.  Maybe there is something that could help.

Gawd, I will never forget that chigger pestilence.  It was trillions of them.  Awful, awful, awful.  We won though and got rid of them finally but it was unbelievable!    

I don't use any perfumed anything either because I don't like bees or wasps either thinking I am a flower.  

• Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.