calebbhaas

Problem with Mesh Hair

Posted (edited)

It looks like this bug: BUG-8801 - Certain Mesh Hair with alpha triangles, Mac and Linux specific

If you happen to be using Firestorm viewer, we have a fix for this bug, which will be in the next Firestorm release.
If you would like to try a build of Firestorm that has the fix, let me know & I'll send you the download link.

For those interested, the fix is here: https://hg.phoenixviewer.com/phoenix-firestorm-lgpl/rev/80296261f0ac

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
Can't type after 2 glasses of Whisky :D
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Can't type after 2 glasses of Whisky :D

try one more and you'll see everything smoothen up again :)

guy-chugging-bottle-of-liquor-gif.gif

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, calebbhaas said:

Yes Whirly, please send me the download link ! Thank you !

Download link sent in your PM.
If you have any feedback for the fix, please post a comment on this thread.

• Like 1

I'm also using the fixed viewer after messaging Whirly inworld, this is on Mint Linux 19.2 , same as OP. It fixed one hair I have but others are still rendering like the photo. I know its a test, but hopefully it gets ironed out because that would seriously rock.

Snapshot_001.png

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Using Kubuntu 19.04 with a GeForce 750 Ti, with Nvidia drivers 430.40 and here's a before and after with some demo hair of a well-known store.

image.thumb.png.870bd30cab10cb9ae2b6578fa97eb79c.png

Forget about that neck seam, that's usually hidden because I am too lazy to try to actually fix that 🙂

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Gabourey said:

I'm also using the fixed viewer after messaging Whirly inworld, this is on Mint Linux 19.2 , same as OP. It fixed one hair I have but others are still rendering like the photo.

I would like to see this on you for myself. Also, which graphics card and drivers do you use? IIRC Mint shuns proprietary drivers and I wonder if that could affect the results too.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz (3869.8 MHz)
Memory: 6877 MB
OS Version: Linux 5.0.0-23-generic #24~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jul 29 16:12:28 UTC 2019 x86_64
Graphics Card Vendor: Intel Open Source Technology Center
Graphics Card: Mesa DRI Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Coffeelake 3x8 GT2)

OpenGL Version: 3.0 Mesa 19.0.2

My now broken gpu, a gtx 1060 3gb on the latest drivers, rendered the same , however.

Edited by Gabourey
  • Thanks 1

I have been testing the nightly release for a while now.  I haven't encountered a single hair or other object that was a problem before that is still a problem now.  All seems fixed for me.

Here is what I am using:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (3502.49 MHz)
Memory: 32011 MB
OS Version: Linux 5.0.0-23-generic #24~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jul 29 16:12:28 UTC 2019 x86_64
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.116

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.8 nghttp2/1.25.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.7
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 2.00.01
Dullahan: 1.1.1320 / CEF: 3.3626.1895.g7001d56 / Chromium: 72.0.3626.121
LibVLC Version: 2.2.3
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Window size: 3840x2113 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 2 pt
UI Scaling: 1.25
Draw distance: 256 m
Bandwidth: 1500 kbit/s
LOD factor: 4
Render quality: Ultra (7/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: Yes
Texture memory: 2048 MB (1)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): 2019-7-24T18:4:21
Built with GCC version 40902
Packets Lost: 14/1181325 (0.0%)
August 04 2019 03:03:58 SLT

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gabourey said:

Graphics Card Vendor: Intel Open Source Technology Center
Graphics Card: Mesa DRI Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Coffeelake 3x8 GT2)

Intel graphics are notorious for being horrendous for use with SL. There are numerous problems with Intel both in Linux and Windows.
If possible, try to get a hold of a 2nd hand AMD or Nvidia card.

1 hour ago, Gabourey said:

My now broken gpu, a gtx 1060 3gb on the latest drivers, rendered the same , however.

Did it break before, or after you tried the nightly?

1 hour ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Intel graphics are notorious for being horrendous for use with SL. There are numerous problems with Intel both in Linux and Windows.
If possible, try to get a hold of a 2nd hand AMD or Nvidia card.

Did it break before, or after you tried the nightly?

I've been in SL for a very long time, using both Intel and dedicated gpus along the way.  Intel graphics aren't horrendous in my experience, basic yes, but horrendous ? Not if you don't push them to do what they aren't capable of. The rendering fix should be working on Intel also,  and since a good many people do experience SL on various Intel graphics I think it's good to let Whirly know so they can have a look see to what is going on and possibly get a fix going.

The gpu broke long before the nightly fix btw.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2019 at 2:31 AM, Gabourey said:

I'm also using the fixed viewer after messaging Whirly inworld, this is on Mint Linux 19.2 , same as OP. It fixed one hair I have but others are still rendering like the photo. I know its a test, but hopefully it gets ironed out because that would seriously rock.

Snapshot_001.png

Please can you give me the creator name and the name of that hair so we can test.
Thanks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

@Whirly Fizzle  I have finally found a hair that is still exhibiting the alpha issue on the nightly test build as seen in this picture:

1700990553_HairTransparencyIssues_001.thumb.png.643cf10a6d7865dc5354ece8a6207d43.png

I can provide the hair details if necessary.

Please can you give me the creator name and the name of that hair so we can test.
Thanks!

2 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Thanks!

Its Exile-Mia

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

I can confirm that this one is still happening on my end too. Using the nightly on Kubuntu 19.04 with Nvidia graphics.
Graphics quality made no difference, tried from low to Ultra with shadows. Toggling hardware skinning, avatar cloth, other options, all made no difference either.
Is there confirmation that this hair looks right in Windows?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

On Windows 7 on the same machine as my first picture:

1633040054_Magika-November-Win7_001.thumb.png.a9f24ed9facbada780cf4a2be2a98557.png

So yes, looks just fine.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
I see Whirly beat me to it
  • Thanks 2

I am curious and that brings a question, perhaps @Whirly Fizzle can answer: Even if Firestorm creates a fix for this, what about people using Kokua or LL Official Viewers (if this bug affects those as well) - I take it that people using those (only others on Mac I'm aware of after FS) will still see these anomalies, even if they use FS and it looks fine to *them*. Is this correct?

31 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I am curious and that brings a question, perhaps @Whirly Fizzle can answer: Even if Firestorm creates a fix for this, what about people using Kokua or LL Official Viewers (if this bug affects those as well) - I take it that people using those (only others on Mac I'm aware of after FS) will still see these anomalies, even if they use FS and it looks fine to *them*. Is this correct?

You have the right idea. Any viewer that has the problem will have the problem. It is a problem in the viewer not the SL assets.

Firestorm has (or is developing) a fix. So, those using the next release will not have the problem. Those using a viewer without the fix will still see the problem.

However... the Firestorm team shares their fixes with the community, including the Lab. So, the fix will propagate to all the viewers that need it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

You have the right idea. Any viewer that has the problem will have the problem. It is a problem in the viewer not the SL assets.

Firestorm has (or is developing) a fix. So, those using the next release will not have the problem. Those using a viewer without the fix will still see the problem.

However... the Firestorm team shares their fixes with the community, including the Lab. So, the fix will propagate to all the viewers that need it.

Thank you (as I had presumed) - though I haven't noticed this issue, so I also will suppose that it happens with certain hair (built a certain way) or something. I look at it this way: Second Life is an adventure! :)

39 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Thank you (as I had presumed) - though I haven't noticed this issue, so I also will suppose that it happens with certain hair (built a certain way) or something. I look at it this way: Second Life is an adventure! :)

Or a puzzle... 

In the 3D real-time rendering world transparency and alpha masking is a challenge. In SL the viewer is trying to handle all the crazy things people do/build. I am surprised the viewers handle it as well as they do.

• Like 1