Strange polygon banding after upload.

Kyrah Abattoir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1699 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was making a new set of materials for one of my existing meshs and I noticed this:

NQvgh5J.png.ea106a21047f56abeb65790331bbb703.png

Weird horizontal bands, they don't follow the object's "sides". Now this is what I know so far:

• It's probably not the normal map: It is pretty much perfect, this is also a temp texture, so no compression artefacts either.
  • The problem is not due to temp textures it persists when the texture is uploaded too.
  • The exported dae appears fine when re-imported in blender: It's smooth, even with the same texture, it shows nothing out of the ordinary.
  • The bands look like they follow the polygon strips of the leg, but some areas are irregular.
  • Forcing a triangulation before exporting appears to help, but does not solve the problem entirely, for some reason, material and UV seams remain visible.
  • There is no split edges/vertices that I could find.
  • This was exported with the standard blender dae export function, and not Avastar, (the body kit I was using when I made this was not compatible)
  • The UVmap looks flawless to me.
  • The problem only occurs on the leg parts of the model, arms, torso, etc where made at the same time and are unaffected.

blender_2019-08-02_13-17-50.png.6cf85f2a306f97d2488baca02d01e115.png

(What it looks like in blender when re-imported)

At this point I'm pretty much out of ideas...

Edited by Kyrah Abattoir

15 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

The above is a known phenomenon of materials using temp textures. 
Reportedly, the artefacts vanish when the texture is properly uploaded. 

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately a fully uploaded texture did not solve the problem so it must be something else.

• Sad 1

Allright I've poked at it some more, it appears that forcing a triangulation before export and before adding custom normals helps slightly, however i still get banding between "alpha cuts" that should not exist.

FirestormOS-TestBuild_2019-08-03_00-19-42.png.fdf420b48b37c3e5359dc15d0817bffc.png

The rightmost is the original that would have banding on every polygon strip.

the two leftmost only appear to have banding at UV and material seams.

Another weird thing is that if i tick "recalculate normals" in the uploader, all the material and uv borders become completely visible for some reason.

Edited by Kyrah Abattoir

5 hours ago, Sean Heavy said:

My suggestion would be to not check "Generate Normals" in the uploader, but it appears you are already not doing that.

I don't, it's a multiple part mesh I have to use "data transfer" on the seam points to get it to be seamless.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1699 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.