SL's First Protest ~ Ancestor of the Tila Protest

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I found a couple of photos from what may be SL's first protest, a distant ancestor of the Tila Protest.

The names have changed, but the song remains the same.  

Original source from: @Pituca FairChang's blog named: Pituca Fairchange Memoirs of an Oldbie [ https://fairchang.blogspot.com/2011/ ]

On or about December 9th of 2003,  the Lindens announced that Second Life tier was going to be paid for in US$.  Well that set off a large hue and cry from the populace.  We had only dealt in the ‘monopoly money’ of L$.  Fake,  fun to manipulate but in the final analysis didn’t cost us anything.  We were used to Stipends and paying taxes on our usage of prims and of course land.  But land was acquired at L$1 a 16m square.  When you wanted to move you just released it and it went “Public Land”  and the next fellow could buy for L$1 a 16m square……  I bought and abandoned all the time!  But now we were going to have to pay Linden Lab a monthly tier in US currency for the use of all lands.
There was a big protest in the Welcome Area located in Ahern. [ https://fairchang.blogspot.com/2011/ ]

Welcomearea3Dec92003_thumb2.jpg?imgmax=8

That’s Philip Linden in the center.  Garth and I [Pituca Fairchange] are in the front.  Off to the left is the ‘Hulk’ Bonecrusher Slate and next to him is Fleabite Beach.  Off to the right with the purple hair is Haney Linden.  Philip Linden is right in front of Garth and me. [ https://fairchang.blogspot.com/2011/ ]

Welcomearea2Dec92003_thumb2.jpg?imgmax=8

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Erwin Solo said:

Its hard to get a nostalgia outfit together anymore. 

Not at all!

One of my alts got inspired by this and started setting up an almost complete Yadni collection in-world. I can post a landmark here when it's ready if anybody really are interested enough to ask nicely. I have to omit eight items for now because they are no transfer and I want to ask Yadni about the FOB items before I add them but everything else is there.

For those who are even newer to Second Life than me, Yadni's Junkyard was the original freebie place in SL. Yadni Monde started collecting all the freebies he could find as early as 2004 and kept adding to the collection until 2007. I think the oldest boxes even have some items from Linden World while the latest one include some quite nice flexi dresses and also Arcadia Asylum's early works.

Afterwards he introduced the FOB - Freebie Of the Month - a section where people could rez their own freebies for others to grab.

Most is rubbish by any standard but there are some true gems there and certainly a ton of nostalgia.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

We really needed a Second Life Wayback Machine.

All this stuff was going to be so important, it's a shame it wasn't comprehensively recorded as it happened.

I think the interesting part is the absurdity of the protests, whether in 2003 because land was--for the first time--to be paid for, or in 2019 when measures are imposed to thwart money laundering.  

In both cases, the measures are clearly necessary. It takes a special kind of person to maintain the facade of pretending to not understand the why such things are necessary.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Erwin Solo said:

I miss Yadni and his junkyard.  I'll visit.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Keswick/229/175/34

It's just the freebie collection of course. The Junkyard itself has moved to a different grid.

If you go outside (doorway effect courtesy of Whirly btw.), you may stumble across another interesting freebie collection in the neighbour building, including this little thing that should fit the actual topic of this thread:

2017014702_Genericprotestsign.jpg.b5dfb567d35e2d1c16a038a2550579c2.jpg

10 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

We really needed a Second Life Wayback Machine.

All this stuff was going to be so important, it's a shame it wasn't comprehensively recorded as it happened.

Yes but it's amazing how much you can find if you look araound a bit. Practically all of Yadni's works are preserved btw - he has rebuilt them on TAG.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.