Sign in to follow this  
angelpatty

Why, when I teleport to other avatars, do I land on their heads?

Question

For the last few years in Second Life, I've noticed that when I teleport to other people, I rez on top of their heads. 

Why is that happening?

5 answers to this question

1 hour ago, angelpatty said:

For the last few years in Second Life, I've noticed that when I teleport to other people, I rez on top of their heads. 

Why is that happening?

you do what is expected ..land on the same coordinates
This is also seen a lot at busy places, all use the same coordinates in the LM to land, so if you don't move after landing, others will end on top of you

• Like 1

Well... if you teleported onto exactly the same spot as them so that both of you were existing in the same space at the same time, then the universe would probably implode or something. So it's best all round that you land on their head.

Posted (edited)

It kind of depends how you did the teleport, though.

If Avatar A uses a landmark, and does not move after arrival, Avatar B, using the same landmark, arrives on A's head.

If Avatar B accepts a teleport offer from Avatar A, Avatar B will arrive slightly above and slightly in front of, Avatar A.  I think this will also happen if Avatar B sends a teleport request to Avatar A, but am not 100% sure.

If you double click on an avatar name in the People window, your camera moves to that person.  You can then use the "double click to teleport to a clicked spot" option to teleport in next to them.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1

If you can see them, you should walk to them.

Landing on top of someone is usually a landmark problem. Some places with heavy incoming traffic put a landing platform at the landing point which moves arriving avatars a few meters in some random direction to clear the arrival point.