4 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I was home schooled and neither of my parents spoke anything other than English and Gibberish. The latter is not recognized as a language, particularly by those who speak it. So, I learned a bit of German from my emergency backup mom. And I learned Basic, Fortran and C from Dad. My engineering school required some proficiency in a foreign language, which I demonstrated by writing a C program, with comments in German, that used English words and phrases to produce... Gibberish.

We both know that being home schooled isn't the same as taking courses in a physical school building.

But like my pistol training instructor said all those decades ago... whatever it takes. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I find that rather strange since foreign languages have always been a required course in high schools in the US. One school I attended, you were required to take at least one foreign language every semester. And that was in grammar school. As a result, I had French and Spanish classes before I ever even got to junior high. 

To my knowledge requiring a foreign language course in high school has never changed.

@Selene Gregoire  Maybe that holds true for your particular district or state but I have zero reason to make this up.  So no it's hardly strange to me that I said it.  In fact, here is a link to HS graduation requirements in my state now to be eligible for a scholarship that differs from federal aid. 

I doubt 25 years ago they were even this stringent:. 

https://www.okhighered.org/okpromise/required-courses.shtml.

If you'll take a look at that you'll see that that is an actual website maintained by the state of Oklahoma for higher education.

Sorry to go on so much but your response to me has really irked me. You implied that I was lying.  And you're just a random stranger on the internet, but you are wrong.

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko

I find that rather strange since foreign languages have always been a required course in high schools in the US.

Not in Texas.  I'm not sure about other states.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

We both know that being home schooled isn't the same as taking courses in a physical school building.

But like my pistol training instructor said all those decades ago... whatever it takes. 

And I don't know about other states but in Oklahoma you can't just make up your own curriculum in home schools. At least if the the family intends for the child to have a diploma.  They still have to follow a particular curriculum and pass the same test the public, charter, virtual and private school students take to receive a diploma in Oklahoma which no is not a GED but an actual diploma. (Let me know if you'd like a link to a state website for that information as well)  Now I'm amused  because you made wrong assumptions with responses to two different people.

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko

59 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

in Oklahoma you can't just make up your own curriculum in home schools. At least if the the family intends for the child to have a diploma

in New Zealand the rules are a bit more broad when it comes to curriculum.  The requirement here is that the student must be taught as well as, and as regularly as, in a registered school. A home schooled student's progress can be evaluated by the Education Review Office, and their ability to continue with home schooling can be revoked by the Minister of Education when the requirement is not met

the equivalent national qualification model for high school aged students generally is NCEA.  When the student doesn't study a curriculum geared toward NCEA then they are not going to achieve it. NCEA is not compulsory for home school students, they may choose to gain a qualification under some other model. Cambridge International Examinations being one

4 hours ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

@Selene Gregoire  Maybe that holds true for your particular district or state but I have zero reason to make this up.  So no it's hardly strange to me that I said it.  In fact, here is a link to HS graduation requirements in my state now to be eligible for a scholarship that differs from federal aid. 

If you'll take a look at that you'll see that that is an actual website maintained by the state of Oklahoma for higher education.

Sorry to go on so much but your response to me has really irked me. You implied that I was lying.  And you're just a random stranger on the internet, but you are wrong.

I never implied a damn thing. I graduated from high school in 1977. That is how it was then and as I said to my knowledge that hasn't changed. And it wasn't Oklahoma, where my daughter just happens to reside. There was nothing in my post that should have given offense.

First don't swear at me-  I didn't swear at you. And you did imply it, as you led with "I find that rather strange since foreign languages have always been a required course in high schools in the US". 

5 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

First don't swear at me-  I didn't swear at you. And you did imply it, as you led with "I find that rather strange since foreign languages have always been a required course in high schools in the US". 

Stop twisting my words around to mean something they never meant. I know what I said and I know what I meant..  It was a requirement when I was in high school IN THE 1970S in more than one state. That is a fact. I never said it was nationwide. YOU decided I did when those words are nowhere in my post. YOU decided you WANTED to take offense so you did. Full stop. End of story. Fini.

I responded to what you put out there.  You since then have been more specific to convey your thoughts.  However, I did in fact respond to what you said without any twisting on my part.  If you are misunderstood it's because you were lacking in your explanation. 

Fini?  Wow I guess you did take a foreign language in elementary school.  *dazzling*

Don't worry  I'm done with you as well.  I just can't figure out how to block you on here.  

9 hours ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

5 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I never implied a damn thing. I graduated from high school in 1977. That is how it was then and as I said to my knowledge that hasn't changed. And it wasn't Oklahoma, where my daughter just happens to reside. There was nothing in my post that should have given offense.

Stop twisting my words around to mean something they never meant. I know what I said and I know what I meant..  It was a requirement when I was in high school IN THE 1970S in more than one state. That is a fact. I never said it was nationwide. YOU decided I did when those words are nowhere in my post. YOU decided you WANTED to take offense so you did. Full stop. End of story. Fini.

I responded to what you put out there.  You since then have been more specific to convey your thoughts.  However, I did in fact respond to what you said without any twisting on my part.  If you are misunderstood it's because you were lacking in your explanation. 

Fini?  Wow I guess you did take a foreign language in elementary school.  *dazzling*

Don't worry  I'm done with you as well.  I just can't figure out how to block you on here.  

giphy.gif.618fc88e80a3f16e849af4e6fdecef

Well, I'ma call this thread Sherman, 'cause it went South in a hurry.

Locked after scorching the Earth on interpersonal disputes.

Yeeeeeeaaaaaah! American history jokes! Super fresh humor right here!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5