Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello SL boys and girls!

 

  I would like to make a small exhibition of people's weirdest/funniest/most entertaining moments caught on cam in SL.  I think we've all had our share of interlopers, strange characters, laughable moments and thought it would be fun to collect images of those moments and share them in a gallery for a short while.

I'm offering to pay 100 lindens for each image I will use.  If I decline using your image, I won't make any payment.  If you decide to send me your images, this means you allow me to use it in the gallery for the exhibit without any more compensation.

This is for fun, it will be free to all of course.

If you have questions or want to send me your pictures, you can find me in world most evenings. :)

Thank you for your interest!

 

Aramis Melodie

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Though I get why this might be interesting I wouldn't be interested in participating and I would caution anyone else from doing so. Forgetting that this might violate TOS (might) it is definitely a quick way to make enemies and start drama. I know it's meant to be fun and no ill intentions are behind this idea, but I just don't see it turning out well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Copyrights and drama... Really..!  I find it a bit extreme.  It's not like I intend to publish and sell a book with this idea.  It would be a temporary exhibit. I'm a bit confused as to why it would turn out wrong in any way? @_@

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Aramis Melodie said:

Copyrights and drama... Really..!  I find it a bit extreme.  It's not like I intend to publish and sell a book with this idea.  It would be a temporary exhibit. I'm a bit confused as to why it would turn out wrong in any way? @_@

Well, it may not turn out drama inducing, I'll give you that. I just could imagine it might but that's just a guess. 

But I did check TOS because I as I said I guessed it might be against TOS but I'm not sure.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Residents'_privacy_rights

"Possible privacy violations

Snapshots or video

Screenshots or video taken without permission, in an area where Residents reasonably expect privacy, might violate Linden Lab's rules against disclosure; or, more generally, might constitute harassment. To be safe, be sure to get explicit permission from anyone you photograph or record. "

...

So unless the person who submits the videos or images to you got explicit consent from the person they recorded it could possibly be against the rules

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I would genuinely like to know what's the difference between what I'm putting on the table and projects where photographers come together and do an exhibit together...

Is it because I'm offering to pay for the pictures? That would not make them mine in any way.  And I can take this offer away if it's all that stands in the way...

About privacy...  Avatars privacy.  Haha!   There are videos on Youtube from Second Life (I'm thinking of trolls, for example) and I doubt everyone signed a consent form.  Also... hard to identify specific avatars on images when we buy a mesh head that hundreds of people are wearing simultaneously...  Well, thank you for the laugh.  I would be horrified to be a case of SL privacy invasion jurisprudence.  

That being said, I do invite anyone with signed consent forms and free spirits and also a love of living on the edge to submit their images for no money at all.  Free drinks.  If you promise not to drive.

Edited by Aramis Melodie
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aw, come on.  I think Aramis has a fun idea here.  I wish I were more of a shutterbug and had some immortalized Bizarre Moments to contribute.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Aramis Melodie said:

About privacy...  Avatars privacy.  Haha!   There are videos on Youtube from Second Life (I'm thinking of trolls, for example) and I doubt everyone signed a consent form.  Also... hard to identify specific avatars on images when we buy a mesh head that hundreds of people are wearing simultaneously...  Well, thank you for the laugh.  I would be horrified to be a case of SL privacy invasion jurisprudence.  

Laughing at people's privacy concerns pretty much tells me I'd be a fool to trust you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aramis Melodie said:

 

Well, thank you for the laugh.  I would be horrified to be a case of SL privacy invasion jurisprudence.  

 

You are more or less laughing at LL's stance on this kind of thing than me, so ok. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Aramis Melodie said:

I'm shaking in my pixel boots, you guys.  What an eyeroller.

You are very defensive for no reason. I'm not even being mean. I'm just telling you that technically it is against TOS. If you went back to my original post you'll see, and I quote 

 

3 hours ago, Hanna Clowes said:

Though I get why this might be interesting 

There's absolutely no reason to get defensive with me as I'm not trying to bug. I don't get how this was misconstrued at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

What do you consider to be a strange character?

I was wondering that too...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The issue I can see is the framing. If someone takes a picture of me at a public party, this isn't generally going to be a problem. I've knowingly entered an area where pictures are allowed and gone to a public event. When people have done this, they usually send me a link, because the point is to take a nice picture and they're hoping I'll like it.

If someone takes a picture of griefing me at a public event, this isn't the same thing. It's setting me up to be mocked.

If someone includes a picture of me doing nothing much for "look at these weird characters" it's also setting me up to be mocked. This wouldn't be the same as taking a picture for "look at these creative avatars".

This is something you can work around, but it takes some sensitivity to the issues, rather than thinking there aren't issues. A simple statement would be that people need permission from all those in the picture, unless it's a big crowd scene. And to avoid any that basically boil down to, "Look at this weird person, let's laugh at them!"

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

The issue I can see is the framing. If someone takes a picture of me at a public party, this isn't generally going to be a problem. I've knowingly entered an area where pictures are allowed and gone to a public event. When people have done this, they usually send me a link, because the point is to take a nice picture and they're hoping I'll like it.

If someone takes a picture of griefing me at a public event, this isn't the same thing. It's setting me up to be mocked.

If someone includes a picture of me doing nothing much for "look at these weird characters" it's also setting me up to be mocked. This wouldn't be the same as taking a picture for "look at these creative avatars".

This is something you can work around, but it takes some sensitivity to the issues, rather than thinking there aren't issues. A simple statement would be that people need permission from all those in the picture, unless it's a big crowd scene. And to avoid any that basically boil down to, "Look at this weird person, let's laugh at them!"

Thank you. ❤️ This is the kind of information I was hoping to get.  I much appreciate your constructive input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Perhaps an answer to my question, next?

Whatever you consider a good clean fun situation would be what I’m initially looking for but if you have pictures of individuals you know would agree to be part of that kind of concept because, for example, they are creatively humorous in their own characters and it’s something they thrive to share with the SL community... then that would be my personal reference to “a strange character” I feel would contribute to this project. 

 

I’m more than willing to exchange views and ideas in-world, also, if anyone feels compelled to reach out to me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

 

If someone includes a picture of me doing nothing much for "look at these weird characters" it's also setting me up to be mocked. This wouldn't be the same as taking a picture for "look at these creative avatars".

With respect, so what? There's no breach of RL privacy or consequences. Are you seriously suggesting you'll be at some important inworld Sansar meeting and others will say "Ha! Look, it's that weirdo we saw in the gallery. Skip his question"? Will you never get inworld club hosting work again?

Just seems a fun idea. The objections seem paranoid and odd. 

 

Edited by CallumBH
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CallumBH said:

With respect, so what? There's no breach of RL privacy or consequences. Are you seriously suggesting you'll be at some important inworld Sansar meeting and others will say "Ha! Look, it's that weirdo we saw in the gallery. Skip his question"? Will you never get inworld club hosting work again?

Just seems a fun idea. The objections seem paranoid and odd. 

 

Thanks SL gods for your existence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CallumBH said:

With respect, so what? There's no breach of RL privacy or consequences. Are you seriously suggesting you'll be at some important inworld Sansar meeting and others will say "Ha! Look, it's that weirdo we saw in the gallery. Skip his question"? Will you never get inworld club hosting work again?

Just seems a fun idea. The objections seem paranoid and odd.

My point is that if the exhibit is supposed to be all in good fun, then it'll avoid having images that could upset the people in them. It doesn't need life-changing consequences to matter. It doesn't need to break any laws. It should be enough that people are hurt for the sake of the entertainment of others.

This is a lot like the practical joke issue. If the target does not find it funny, it's not a joke. But often when this happens, people will bully the target, telling them it's just a joke and they should lighten up. No laws are broken, but it's still a jerk move.

6 hours ago, Aramis Melodie said:

Thank you. ❤️ This is the kind of information I was hoping to get.  I much appreciate your constructive input.

You immediately agreed with the person who disagreed with me and said I was paranoid. You don't have to agree with me, but please be honest about it. There's no need to pretend you appreciated it when you thought it was a load of cobblers.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Polenth Yue said:

My point is that if the exhibit is supposed to be all in good fun, then it'll avoid having images that could upset the people in them. It doesn't need life-changing consequences to matter. It doesn't need to break any laws. It should be enough that people are hurt for the sake of the entertainment of others.

This is a lot like the practical joke issue. If the target does not find it funny, it's not a joke. But often when this happens, people will bully the target, telling them it's just a joke and they should lighten up. No laws are broken, but it's still a jerk move.

You immediately agreed with the person who disagreed with me and said I was paranoid. You don't have to agree with me, but please be honest about it. There's no need to pretend you appreciated it when you thought it was a load of cobblers.

I thanked you for the information you brought up, which, I feel, was more objective and highlighted things I might not have considered. 

Callum never called you, personally, paranoid...  That being said, I do agree with every single word Callum wrote.  How that makes you feel belongs to you. I’m not interested in your drama.  This whole thread has been tainted with exaggerated assumptions.

I can agree with things you both said. This is a discussion, not Game of Thrones, people.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Aramis Melodie said:

 This whole thread has been tainted with exaggerated assumptions.

I think part of the problem has been that the purpose and motives behind this thread were unclear.  I hoped that legitimate questions would elicit reasonable answers, but I find the reaction to questions defensive; this suggests to me that you had not considered how the subjects of your exhibition would feel.  To go on to regard concern as 'drama' further suggests to me that you are determined to have your 'fun' regardless.  I'll have none of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I think part of the problem has been that the purpose and motives behind this thread were unclear.  I hoped that legitimate questions would elicit reasonable answers, but I find the reaction to questions defensive; this suggests to me that you had not considered how the subjects of your exhibition would feel.  To go on to regard concern as 'drama' further suggests to me that you are determined to have your 'fun' regardless.  I'll have none of it.

Aw no!  Are you on your way to take down my hypothetical exhibition? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Aramis Melodie said:

Aw no!  Are you on your way to take down my hypothetical exhibition? 

Which comment just goes further to casting doubt on the idea.  It appears that the only people in favour of it are you, your partner, a possible alt, and someone whose profile suggests he has not yet arrived at his fourteenth birthday.  Anyway, enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...