AngelOfSeeker

Just Out of Curiosity...

Hello! :D I'm fairly a new player to SL (been here for over a month now!) and have explored a bit of what SL has to offer. There has been one thing I haven't yet looked into that I have majorly been curious about! I thoroughly enjoy roleplaying and table-top roleplaying in real life. So my question is: Where are good locations to start off if a player of SL where looking into starting the roleplay experience in SL?! :D Thanks for help! Have a good day! (/^owo^\ ❤️ 

• Like 2

Ah, to answer that question, we must know what kind of role play you’re interested it. There are numerous locations.. from college life to starships, from farming to magical forests.. there are so many things to do, but you’ll need to narrow it down! 

• Like 2

I guess I should of realized I needed to be more thorough... My apologizes :/ I've been under the impression a lot of SL is sexualized and Im hunting out anything that doesn't involve that sort of thing. I've role played in real life a bunch of DnD and Call of Cthulhu. So I guess I'd consider myself a fantasy esque roleplayer...but I haven't had the chance to see any locations for roleplaying.

• Like 2

When my sister had more time in SL, she loved RPing at Chronicles of Lynnea. I know they have an OOC tag for visitors, because she brought me over one day. It's beautiful there.

• Like 3

i would put in your profile when u find a sim to roleplay that you are not looking for sexualized roleplay.  put it out there or part of your roleplay profile

• Like 1

any type of roleplay in sl may have references to sex, except maybe the family rp, but you decide what your characters path and if you don't have to participate especially if you find players with similar interests. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 9:08 AM, AngelOfSeeker said:

I thoroughly enjoy roleplaying and table-top roleplaying in real life.

i always felt Baldurs Gate on Faerun was my second home...wink

• Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 11:46 AM, norajulian said:

Ah, to answer that question, we must know what kind of role play you’re interested it. There are numerous locations.. from college life to starships, from farming to magical forests.. there are so many things to do, but you’ll need to narrow it down! 

Hi,

I am also looking into non-sexual RP that isn't too demanding. Do you know where I can find such a list of RP that is presently available on SL? Hopefully, it should target adults.

Thank you.

18 hours ago, Raineknightly said:

Hi,

I am also looking into non-sexual RP that isn't too demanding. Do you know where I can find such a list of RP that is presently available on SL? Hopefully, it should target adults.

Thank you.

Most role-play, even in "sexual-allowed" regions don't involve sex. Though many pedophiles tend to use the word "roleplay" in the context to mean sex (if anyone ever asks "Do you roleplay?" in your IM you can presume they are a pedophile because adults asking adults if they want a roll in the hay don't use the term "roleplay" to describe it).  In short: just search places for "roleplay", "role-play", and "role play" and go for it (without quotes and different results for each version in search)

• Confused 1

On 8/8/2019 at 9:25 AM, Alyona Su said:

Most role-play, even in "sexual-allowed" regions don't involve sex. Though many pedophiles tend to use the word "roleplay" in the context to mean sex (if anyone ever asks "Do you roleplay?" in your IM you can presume they are a pedophile because adults asking adults if they want a roll in the hay don't use the term "roleplay" to describe it).  In short: just search places for "roleplay", "role-play", and "role play" and go for it (without quotes and different results for each version in search)

Pedophiles are interested in children not adults, thats why they call them pedophiles and yeah you might not want to walk into an adult area and mention you want to roleplay.

2 hours ago, ballparkdogg said:

Pedophiles are interested in children not adults, thats why they call them pedophiles and yeah you might not want to walk into an adult area and mention you want to roleplay.

Established role-players will ask other established role-players if they want to role-play because role-playing is not a 24/7 activity, even if standing on a role-play themed region. If you are an adult anywhere on the grid and ask a child to "role-play" then you can be AR'd. As for what a pedophile is, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure we all know what that is and who they're interested in.

On 7/27/2019 at 11:45 AM, AngelOfSeeker said:

I guess I should of realized I needed to be more thorough... My apologizes :/ I've been under the impression a lot of SL is sexualized and Im hunting out anything that doesn't involve that sort of thing. I've role played in real life a bunch of DnD and Call of Cthulhu. So I guess I'd consider myself a fantasy esque roleplayer...but I haven't had the chance to see any locations for roleplaying.

A little "technique" that may be of service to you if you ever find yourself in a situation. It's called 'fade to black'. Similar to how the old cameramen would fade a scene in a movie out before moving to the next scene.

Here is a description of fade to black that should help you to understand how it's used in roleplay (and why). There are a few other transitions listed that are helpful in RP as well. 

https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/the-hidden-meaning-behind-popular-video-transitions/

• Like 2

If your first reaction to being asked about role play is to assume the Adult variety - adult looking avatar or not - then you are the one with the problem. If you're looking for "Adult" Role Play then you're going to call it as such - assuming you're capable of understanding that there is a difference.

• Thanks 1

On 8/8/2019 at 2:25 PM, Alyona Su said:

adults asking adults if they want a roll in the hay don't use the term "roleplay" to describe it)

Some adults use "role play" as a euphemism for sexual interaction. Apparently it's not cheating if it's "role play" 🙄

• Like 2

Selene, I understand the use of fade to black in video very well, having done considerable video editing.  But how does one use it in role play?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

If your first reaction to being asked about role play is to assume the Adult variety - adult looking avatar or not - then you are the one with the problem. 

100% truth.

11 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Some adults use "role play" as a euphemism for sexual interaction. Apparently it's not cheating if it's "role play" 🙄

Precisely. A.K.A. "Ostrich with head in sand" or "Emperor's New Clothes", etc.

14 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Selene, I understand the use of fade to black in video very well, having done considerable video editing.  But how does one use it in role play?

Did you go to the link?

41 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

In a scene where something takes place that one of the players does not want to participate but the scene is necessary to move the story forward.

Just because consent is implied, it does not mean you have to accept every kind of roleplay that comes your way. If you find the roleplay going in a direction you are not comfortable with, IM the other person and inform them immediately. Once they are aware, the two of you can negotiate some way to steer the roleplay onto more neutral grounds. Or in the worst case "Fade to Black" wherein you both agree on the final outcome of the scene without actually roleplaying it all out.

ETA: Also note that the implied consent is restricted to roleplay alone. No matter what role you play, players have the absolute right to say no.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

28 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Did you go to the link?

Lindal was right to ask that question. Clarification was needed for those who are not that familiar with SL RP.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

In a scene where something takes place that one of the players does not want to participate but the scene is necessary to move the story forward.

Amazing, this was my guess!