Making it fit

Lucita Sorrowsong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I might just be noob about it but I've recently come back to SL and been looking into stuff. Mesh is great so far. There is one thing I don't quite get and maybe it's just lack of content on the internet or YouTube. In the Real World, a clothing designer uses a dress form to create clothing designs. In SL, there are several different "forms". Slink, Bento, Maitreya, Isis, Freya, Hourglass, etc. I have noticed that when you buy an outfit in game, it has a whole collection of different body styles and you chose the one for the mesh body you have. That makes perfect sense but here's my question: If you are a designer and you want to make clothes for, let's say Maitreya for example, do the designers of those bodies have available "basic forms" for you to import into Blender or Zbrush so you can design your fashion creations to fit those bodies or is there some "shortcut" to getting the correct measurements and making your own dress for to do so? I can understand if Slink, Catwa, Bento, Maitreya, or others don't want to give out or sell their basic shapes to protect their products from snipers but I just can't figure out how you could make clothes that fit a body form if you don't have a proper reference.

I promise I'm not being a dork. Please don't flame me because I'm naive.

1 hour ago, Lucita Sorrowsong said:

I might just be noob about it but I've recently come back to SL and been looking into stuff. Mesh is great so far. There is one thing I don't quite get and maybe it's just lack of content on the internet or YouTube. In the Real World, a clothing designer uses a dress form to create clothing designs. In SL, there are several different "forms". Slink, Bento, Maitreya, Isis, Freya, Hourglass, etc. I have noticed that when you buy an outfit in game, it has a whole collection of different body styles and you chose the one for the mesh body you have. That makes perfect sense but here's my question: If you are a designer and you want to make clothes for, let's say Maitreya for example, do the designers of those bodies have available "basic forms" for you to import into Blender or Zbrush so you can design your fashion creations to fit those bodies or is there some "shortcut" to getting the correct measurements and making your own dress for to do so? I can understand if Slink, Catwa, Bento, Maitreya, or others don't want to give out or sell their basic shapes to protect their products from snipers but I just can't figure out how you could make clothes that fit a body form if you don't have a proper reference.

I promise I'm not being a dork. Please don't flame me because I'm naive.

You can apply to the various body designers to get a kit so that you can design for their particular body BUT it is often VERY HARD to get the kit and you typically have to prove that you already know how to make mesh clothes well in order to get the kit.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it's a little late for answer but i'll do it anyway.

You send application for mesh body and if you r lucky, you get dummy fo the body. However the body is decimates and rigging on it is kind of corrupted. Also shape itself can be earlier stage of fixing it so the size is different. As example some chests for Kemono are about 70% accurate including rigging and the shape. Some creators don't give dummy at all. And well it still possible to make clothes for them if you draw your rigging yourself on eye.ANd spend a monthes rigging it every day and fixing and rigging and fixing and rigging untill you reach the border of insanity. As example it tooked me about 1500 fixes (by number of savings) to draw proper dress rigging for Kemono body. The problem is original dummy rigging is strongly needed to create skinny items where you dont' use alpha or you just can't do it.Usually you just hide the body by alpha and draw your weight but there are  kind of cursed areas where you can't. In ideal if you own original and quality dummy asRuth for example, it lays in a public folder. So in this case you don't do rigging at all.And it's incredibly less stress and it was hard to come back to Slink and Lara from Ruth zero rigging. As creator i fully understandall this thief problems and need to protect the body.However after work with Ruth it looks like not respect for creators who do clothes and get not accurate dummy.Like a joke. You can say that uhh well if they want to protect the body they have a rights. BUT they could provide creators with 100% accurate dummy.Easy. Without UV of their body this dummy is useless and people who can re upload the body with working UV is failed. Put the body on Zrush and retopology it, then insert back to blender and apply original rigging. Protected.Success. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.