I need your help: Firestorm Viewer problems

Ivy Mysterious

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1733 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So pretty much all day today I have had an issue with my firestorm viewer Crashing and Disconnecting. In the last, rough estimate would say 14 hours, give or take I have DCed 2 times and had my viewer full on crash, completely freeze and close out without a single warning, about 12 to 13 times today. I have done everything I can think to do. I have deleted cookies, I have emptied my recycling bin, I have restarted my PC, I have cleared cache, Hell I even updated it to the latest version thinking maybe that was the issue, and nope, still crashing ( And I do still mean crashing, not disconnecting like most people, including myself, think it is when they get the grayed out screen that says that " Second Life has been disconnected..."blah blah blah)

I have uninstalled it and gonna try again but if this doesn't work I am honestly just at a loss of what more I can do, can you all PLEASE help me? If it helps any here is a screen shot of my PC spec's. I will admit I don't have the best PC in the world, but I was doing just fine yesterday, its just been today that its been a pain

(for personal safety reasons I have marked out my name because my system name includes my RL name lol)

System Spec's:

http://prntscr.com/ojpsaj

Edited by IvyLarae

In all of my many, many years in SL, the Firestorm viewer has only literally crashed on me once. (The usual 'stopped responding' thing). So, I think it's fair to say FS is overall pretty stable. And I think you would agree.

So, my first guess would be a corrupt installation. And I would wipe everything (as in a 'clean install'), after having backed up your settings, and then reinstall.

Also, you may be experiencing a hard disk issue (SSD is breaking down?). It would certainly be a good idea to check it for errors. Related to that, are other programs misbehaving too?

Then it could be a driver issue. Did you recently have your video drivers updated, for instance?

Sorry I can't be of more immediate help. These types of things are usually a matter of a slow process of eliminastion.

First thing to try is the official viewer. Does it crash with that too? This will pinpont whether the fault is with Firestorm or your system/network.

Next thing to try, if you are on wireless, is plug into your router with an ethernet cable. If that fixes the problem, your router probably needs replacing.

Also check your internet speed. If this is unusually low for you, your ISP may be having issues. 

• Like 2

People, try and read for comprehension, please. :) Her router/connection has nothing to do with it: her Firestorm is crashing. Especially read the part where she says "And I do still mean crashing, not disconnecting like most people, including myself, think it is when they get the grayed out screen that says that " Second Life has been disconnected..."blah blah blah"

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, IvyLarae said:

So pretty much all day today I have had an issue with my firestorm viewer Crashing and Disconnecting. In the last, rough estimate would say 14 hours, give or take I have DCed 2 times and had my viewer full on crash, completely freeze and close out without a single warning, about 12 to 13 times today. I have done everything I can think to do. I have deleted cookies, I have emptied my recycling bin, I have restarted my PC, I have cleared cache, Hell I even updated it to the latest version thinking maybe that was the issue, and nope, still crashing ( And I do still mean crashing, not disconnecting like most people, including myself, think it is when they get the grayed out screen that says that " Second Life has been disconnected..."blah blah blah)

I have uninstalled it and gonna try again but if this doesn't work I am honestly just at a loss of what more I can do, can you all PLEASE help me? If it helps any here is a screen shot of my PC spec's. I will admit I don't have the best PC in the world, but I was doing just fine yesterday, its just been today that its been a pain

(for personal safety reasons I have marked out my name because my system name includes my RL name lol)

System Spec's:

http://prntscr.com/ojpsaj

Re-installing will rarely fix an issue.

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_run_crash

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_install_crash

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/graphics_crashes_and_glitches

The wiki has been there for 10 years. Bookmark it. It isn't going anywhere anytime soon. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Re-installing will rarely fix an issue.

I should also have noted that reinstalling can make some problems worse so it's best to consult with a support team member before doing a re-install. 

ETA: And what Lil said is applicable so you may want to grab a copy of Core Temp and one for your GPU. I'm using Asus GPU Tweak II.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

For the sessions that ended in an actual crash  (not a disconnect), I can hopefully tell you why the viewer is crashing.

Zip up the viewer logs folder & send it to my email at  whirly.fizzle at phoenixviewer dot com.

How to find the log folder on Firestorm: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/file_a_jira#how_to_give_us_your_logs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Looking at the temperatures in that thing called real world, I'm tempted to throw in "overheating" as a potential reason for the crashes.

This is something I have been watching with my system for the past few days. I have a program that displays the readings for various temperature sensors. I'm running Linux, so the specifics won't be much help. What I do see is the video card temperature rising, so dropping back the video settings could help. It depends on the video hardware, but the Advanced Lighting Model setting can be more efficient. Firestorm can also limit the frame rate, which will help a little. (There are some jobs I would not try running in the current weather.)

How long have you been using this laptop for SL? From the specs i found online, it isnt very powerful at all. If this is a new Laptop and the first install of FS, it could simply be that this laptop cant handle SL. The AMD Radeon R4 Graphics chip isn't even close to the minimum needed for SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1733 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.