Jump to content

Second Life Virtual World and Social Media


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 680 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, FairreLilette said:

Possibly.  I go to many, many, many places and I am not a group member.

 

I almost never join groups of places, I do however join groups where I find them useful to me. Why should I have to choose between utility and privacy. Simply ensure that tracking is opt in whereever it occurs and those of us that dont want to be tracked are happy. Those that want to be tracked will be happy. I suspect its because you know the feature will become useless when most people don't opt in

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That however is a price I gladly pay...

To be fair, Second Life's "social profiles" attempt fizzled out before it even started. All they did was move our already existing profiles to a web format, gave us a post feed (which they almost imme

FaceBook is a cesspool that  eventually contaminates every thing it touches, just like all social media does in the end.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, KanryDrago said:

 I suspect its because you know the feature will become useless when most people don't opt in

No, I don't really understand what you are saying.

Why would I want to discuss a feature that most people don't want?  

I have better things to do.  

However, it is a vertical scrolling world in many ways.

We have freedoms here as a bit of an "adult playground" that we do not have on social media and if I have a group on social media I would have to moderate what is essentially like fitting a square peg into a round hole.  

Second Life has adults only filtering.  Social Media is general content only.  

I am looking for a better, faster way to transfer photos rather than having to open one photo at a time as we have to do inworld is all, as well as IM's being capped is a problem.  

 

Edited by FairreLilette
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2019 at 1:29 PM, KanryDrago said:

No its not just ignore them, I dont want anything about my movements on there full stop. I do my best not to be tracked in rl. I don't have a phone thats turned on most of the time, I use cash for most payments, I don't have social media, I wear a hat to keep my face off camera's, I use tor and vpn's to browse. I no longer drive but take public transport. No I am not going to accept being tracking in SL and just ignore it. That is not good enough, dont track me in the first place end of story because if you do then I will be stopping coming to sl

 

Why the hell is the default stance of those that think social media is a good idea and everyone should be tracked always "Well if you don't like it just ignore it" Tough you don't get to make choices for me

Ok, so....can you point to anything I suggested that mentioned anything about tracking your movements in SL?

No? Ok then. Maybe we can stop with the dramatics? This is that "social media" paranoia I mentioned. Where people see the words "social media" or "social features", shut their brains off, and immediately assume we're talking about Facebook's worst practices even if that could not be further from the truth.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

Ok, so....can you point to anything I suggested that mentioned anything about tracking your movements in SL?

No? Ok then. Maybe we can stop with the dramatics? This is that "social media" paranoia I mentioned. Where people see the words "social media" or "social features", shut their brains off, and immediately assume we're talking about Facebook's worst practices even if that could not be further from the truth.

It's because of FB's invasive/worst practices that I don't and won't trust any social media, including anything deployed by LL. Yes, LL has a far better track recond than most companies but I'm still not going to "stick my neck out and get my head chopped off". Been there, done that. Acid washed the t-shirt.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2019 at 7:57 AM, KanryDrago said:

I almost never join groups of places, I do however join groups where I find them useful to me. Why should I have to choose between utility and privacy. Simply ensure that tracking is opt in whereever it occurs and those of us that dont want to be tracked are happy. Those that want to be tracked will be happy. 

Then, perhaps a better idea is to have different groups you can choose or not choose on Marketplace with a feed for photos, info and/or recommendations?  Say, you could pick from a suggestion of many groups on Marketplace such as groups in a price range, or a style of clothing, or even such as full perm items for some examples.

However, I doubt Linden Labs would even care because they make a lot of money on their 799 linden per item per week advertising program, so why would they want groups who post items for free in a group in a feed sent to residents?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2019 at 9:32 AM, Selene Gregoire said:

It's because of FB's invasive/worst practices that I don't and won't trust any social media, including anything deployed by LL. Yes, LL has a far better track recond than most companies but I'm still not going to "stick my neck out and get my head chopped off". Been there, done that. Acid washed the t-shirt.

And I trust FB as far I can throw a planet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2019 at 12:32 PM, Selene Gregoire said:

It's because of FB's invasive/worst practices that I don't and won't trust any social media, including anything deployed by LL.


Except, you already do. A forum, like the one you're reading right now, is social media. Second life is a social platform. Both were deployed by LL.

Care about the content, not the label.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

And can I just say, because this happens almost every time a feature is ever suggested on this forum, how about when a feature is suggested we just comment on that feature, not the imaginary features we assume LL will do instead?

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Penny Patton said:


Except, you already do. A forum, like the one you're reading right now, is social media. Second life is a social platform. Both were deployed by LL.

Care about the content, not the label.

You must have missed the part where I said I don't TRUST. It is not impossibe to use a service you don't trust especially when it is the only service available of its kind. Kind of like how you can only have Comcast and not some other cable in your area because it simply isn't there. You either use Comcast which you do not TRUST or you do without.

I don't trust anyone. I've been stabbed in the back one time too many.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

And can I just say, because this happens almost every time a feature is ever suggested on this forum, how about when a feature is suggested we just comment on that feature, not the imaginary features we assume LL will do instead?

How about you stop telling other people what to do. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

Second life is a social platform

Second Life is a sandbox. It's cool if you want to be social in it, but please don't tar everyone with that brush.

(Announcing the new Unsocial Club of SL ... membership applications can be found in a file cabinet in an unlit room in the basement of a building somewhere in New York.)

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

How about you stop telling other people what to do. 

 

Because saying an idea is bad because you assume LL will do something bad yet also entirely different and not at all like what was suggested is not a productive way of holding a discussion.

5 hours ago, Parhelion Palou said:

Second Life is a sandbox.

SecondLife is many things, but if you've used SL at all then chances are pretty good that you've also used it for socializing. I find it difficult to believe that the average SL user has logged in and somehow never interacted with another person in SL.

For example, SL is also a creative platform. I've never seen anyone go out of their way to deny this despite the fact that a relatively small number of SL users are all that big into content creation.

Edited by Penny Patton
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Penny Patton said:

Because saying an idea is bad because you assume LL will do something bad yet also entirely different and not at all like what was suggested is not a productive way of holding a discussion.

missedpoint.gif.d919f060fa67b2f6b3b251c1113f0d2c.gif

I never said your idea(s) were bad. You're assuming I said things I never said and did something I haven't done. You're right about one thing. I can't hold a discussion with someone who isn't listening. You might have heard the words but you didn't listen to what they said.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Penny Patton said:

SecondLife is many things, but if you've used SL at all then chances are pretty good that you've also used it for socializing. I find it difficult to believe that the average SL user has logged in and somehow never interacted with another person in SL.

For example, SL is also a creative platform. I've never seen anyone go out of their way to deny this despite the fact that a relatively small number of SL users are all that big into content creation.

My objection is calling SL a social platform or any single thing. Giving it a name restricts it in the minds of those who hear the name. Advertise SL as a social platform and a lot of people will think of Facejunk and decide not to try SL. SL can be used for socializing, creating, roleplay, sex, etc. but it shouldn't be implied that SL is only one of the many things it can be. That's why advertising it is so hard. How would you advertise Earth to potential alien vacationers?

Edited by Parhelion Palou
Original variation on Facebook was censored ... no clue why.
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Parhelion Palou said:

Trying to attract the real Goreans? 😉

We'd better hope the aliens don't find the Goreans. Otherwise they'll just laser bomb us out of existence, Alderaan style, and nobody could blame them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 680 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...