I want this shape for my avatar

koolkatjade

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1729 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You can pretty much duplicate that shape for free, using the tools available to you.  Right click your avatar, select Edit Shape.  Then start experimenting with the many slider controls!

You may find it helpful to start with one of the free Standard Mesh shapes: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Standard-Sizing-Package-Updated-Male-Female/2894727

Next, look for a skin.  Depending on the skin you wear, it may look good on your shape, or require some tweaking of the facial features, or not work well at all.  So get free demos and try out several! 

The classic avatar body has some deficiencies.  The nose can be hard to get right without artifacts at the corners; the hands and feet look clunky and awful; breasts can look blocky at the larger sizes; and the area around the genitals has too few triangles for good detail.  To correct these problems, you may want to graduate to a mesh body and head.  This opens up a whole new area of both fun and frustration, plus it can get a bit expensive.  So, start with the classic body, and as you have time, experiment with free demos offered by the mesh creators.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, koolkatjade said:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Temptress-Demo-Shape/3576273. What about this shape? does this look perfect?

No, for one reason only; it's no-mod, which means that you can't change it at all, even if there's something you don't like about it.

Yes it's free, but so are the ones that appear in your inventory when you click "New Shape", and those ones are modifyable.  And so are the basic Linden Lab starter shapes which are provided to you when you join.  Your best bet is to search through those for the one you like best, and use that as your starting point. (Pro-tip; they are all too tall).

Well, the description says Mod/Copy, but the permissions say No Mod.  It's free, so what the heck, get it and see!

Oh wait...it's a DEMO.  The actual product costs $L150.

Up to you, but I would rather create my own shape myself, using the appearance sliders.

Edited by Lindal Kidd

I've made a lot of shapes, and while yes you can start by creating a new shape from scratch and moving the sliders, it can take a lot of time and a LOT of patience, because the shape isn't just the sum of the pieces. The pieces interact to make a whole, and this is especially true in the face.

It's a lot easier to start with a shape that is something like what you want; make a copy of it and start fixing it. There is a learning curve even to doing just that. Also, many little tweaks over weeks and months can add up.  If you get to a point that you like, but want to go on tweaking, make a copy and give it a different name so you don't lose all the work you've put in.

If you take a part, like the breasts or nose, there are several sliders involved, and when I'm trying to get it right, I'll add or subtract 20 to the current value, to see exactly what the slider is affecting. Then I back it off by ten, then five, then two or three. When you see the big change that you're looking for, back down from that by two or three points, so it looks more natural.

Anyway, you might find exactly the shape you want in the marketplace, but if not, you can make your own. Just remember that it takes time and several sessions (if you're anything like me).

On 7/26/2019 at 2:30 PM, Halo Minoptra said:

It's a lot easier to start with a shape that is something like what you want; make a copy of it and start fixing it. There is a learning curve even to doing just that. Also, many little tweaks over weeks and months can add up.  If you get to a point that you like, but want to go on tweaking, make a copy and give it a different name so you don't lose all the work you've put in.

I've made a lot of shapes for myself, to the point that I've developed a naming system for them, including the height, the name of the mesh body & head they're made for, and the year they were made.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2019 at 8:29 AM, Matty Luminos said:

I've made a lot of shapes for myself, to the point that I've developed a naming system for them, including the height, the name of the mesh body & head they're made for, and the year they were made.

That is some serious dedication!

9 hours ago, karynmaria said:

That is some serious dedication!

I do something very similar. If I’m bored, I’ll grab a different body/head-and let it make itself, kind of like a sculptor. Then I name them and give them a personality, if I really like it. 

Its an awesome time waster!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1729 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.