What does your SL home look like?

JPG0809

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Placed a new house, so have to start over decorating.

Timber framed!

Promptly moves in.

• Like 1

Though I often place a house at ground level, I haven't 'lived' in one since around 2007. I use a high platform as my home location since that's where I spend a lot of time working. So here it is:

SLHome_1.thumb.jpg.bf36c7f6161eb816289fc0dfa48c32d3.jpg

The messy end of the platform isn't in the picture. A series of teleporters on the right and a building that's effectively my home. There's not much inside it; I usually don't get much further when I'm trying to decorate an interior.

SLHome_2.thumb.jpg.443f3e7e2416eb15bab1dc77368b6a36.jpg

SLHome_3.thumb.jpg.c74a3a0ec36c9fada073d33e94460593.jpg

• Like 7

Home?! You mean homes? I have many. :) I like dystopian cities (obviously), but also the complete opposite: very bright, colorful homes. This one, for instance, is my 'City of Glass', modeled after the Mirror’s Edge Catalyst game. In the third image, you can actually see the 3D surround the best. I created it, using nVidia's Ansel.

kira_1.thumb.jpg.3418f4c484668997b17d8c8d73c220bd.jpg

kira_2.thumb.jpg.42dec723e3d03826d89d5547d00e96b6.jpg

kira_3.thumb.jpg.7704eb761287596535446c7ddb6d9026.jpg

• Like 13

2 hours ago, kiramanell said:

Home?! You mean homes? I have many. :) I like dystopian cities (obviously), but also the complete opposite: very bright, colorful homes. This one, for instance, is my 'City of Glass', modeled after the Mirror’s Edge Catalyst game. In the third image, you can actually see the 3D surround the best. I created it, using nVidia's Ansel.

kira_1.thumb.jpg.3418f4c484668997b17d8c8d73c220bd.jpg

kira_2.thumb.jpg.42dec723e3d03826d89d5547d00e96b6.jpg

kira_3.thumb.jpg.7704eb761287596535446c7ddb6d9026.jpg

Very gorgeous. I'm digging the aesthetic colors.

• Thanks 1

Here's to living Djehan Kidd, cocoon style. :)

kira_5.thumb.jpg.48b0d69012386779d011c3c9b8305e05.jpg

kira_6.thumb.jpg.32cffe4675ad1697ba5c9bb6e545fe27.jpg

And, naturally, I have her cyberpunk apartment too. The crappy environment you see (the sphere around it), is just my level of building surrounds. :P Soon to be replaced with Djehan's upcoming new dystopian environment, I hope. :) 

kira_8.thumb.jpg.7f26bba9ea92f3e976c2669c7daed10d.jpg

kira_7.thumb.jpg.b91bcc377efb1c58c167cb933a8a6160.jpg

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, MichaMoz said:

It's a box made of smaller boxes, some even have a rounded edge.

No, LOL, it's just a hollow megaprim sphere with a texture slapped on it. 😜 I guess I was being too subtle. My point was, I can't for the life of me build beautiful surrounds like Djehan. It's basically just a placeholder environment, until I find something real. :) (Like Djehan's upcoming dystopian surround).

14 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

No, LOL, it's just a hollow megaprim sphere with a texture slapped on it. 😜 I guess I was being too subtle. My point was, I can't for the life of me build beautiful surrounds like Djehan. It's basically just a placeholder environment, until I find something real. :) (Like Djehan's upcoming dystopian surround).

Ummm, okay? That's nice but my SL home still looks just like I described.

• Haha 1

On 7/27/2019 at 6:17 PM, Karen Kondrad said:

my current home

48341894662_0993a0da22_h.jpg

48341751216_3ad720c4aa_h.jpg

48341895677_236acc11b8_h.jpg

48341750331_0cd70ebe4b_h.jpg

48341893612_be45660125_h.jpg

48341893602_5cc48ba534_h.jpg

48341748461_de40dc29a2_h.jpg

48341893047_de6c818685_h.jpg

48341748976_f85b5273be_h.jpg

You mean, your city? 😛 I mean, it's huge. And very beautiful. And maybe I'm going mental, but had this been posted as a GTA V map, I would have totally fallen for it. :) 

• Like 1

Some stunning designs on this thread.

May I ask a silly question? Thank you, may I ask another? I am genuinely curious to know why people put toilets into SL homes. I know you could say that about any furniture/object, since we're not *really* swimming, sitting on sofas or drinking coffee etc. But I can understand why you'd enjoy using them in a digitised "home". I can't see any reason why anyone would want a digital recreation of the experience of using a toilet. Is it because the bathroom would seem incomplete without one?

Just wondering. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

May I ask a silly question? Thank you, may I ask another? I am genuinely curious to know why people put toilets into SL homes. I know you could say that about any furniture/object, since we're not *really* swimming, sitting on sofas or drinking coffee etc. But I can understand why you'd enjoy using them in a digitised "home". I can't see any reason why anyone would want a digital recreation of the experience of using a toilet. Is it because the bathroom would seem incomplete without one?

Just wondering. 

Same reason we add a kitchen while we dont cook or eat. You answered it yourself, if building a house and going for realism, you will most likely add items like these to make it look complete.

And another reason probably, is that there's a lot of adult animated furnitures, including toilets :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Just wondering. 

I think you pretty much answered your own question. :) It's all about 'suspension of disbelief.' Or immersion, or however you want to call it. The closer to a real home it looks, the more home it really is.

Athough I must admit, most of my homes don't have a toilet. And, ironically, actually for the same immersive reason: if my home feels real, last thing I want is to see a toilet bowl in the living room. 😍 Unless I have a separate bathroom for it (which I usually don't). Most of my homes are kinda scify-y (but still warm, of course), modern, and usually have bathtub placed somewhere; like in the below picture. But I would be grossed out if I had actually stuck a toilet bown in that scene too. Eew.

kira_9.thumb.jpg.8d3defeb1591bb0c724472af085f23fa.jpg

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Same reason we add a kitchen while we dont cook or eat. You answered it yourself, if building a house and going for realism, you will most likely add items like these to make it look complete.

And another reason probably, is that there's a lot of adult animated furnitures, including toilets :)

I guessed at the adult animated furniture, but I figured toilets in that genre were likely to be especially niche. I could be wrong, of course. SL is an amazing place.

I should get a Linden home. I probably wouldn't use the toilet for its usual purpose but I might stagger towards it after a night on the razz and too much hangover pizza.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Just wondering. 

A home is not a home without a throne.

And yes it bugs me to have a home that wouldn't be considered "complete" in RL. 

But considering I'm living in a lighthouse now I may just have to settle for an outhouse.

C'est la vie.

See Madam Young! I remembered the c'est this time!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 7/29/2019 at 11:42 PM, Selene Gregoire said:

A home is not a home without a throne.

And yes it bugs me to have a home that wouldn't be considered "complete" in RL. 

But considering I'm living in a lighthouse now I may just have to settle for an outhouse.

C'est la vie.

See Madam Young! I remembered the c'est this time!

Why, that's what I meant before: my home doesn't have to be 100% believable, but enough to elicit that 'suspension of disbelief.' Enough real, at least, that I'm not constantly being pulled out of my immersion. I often have like a floating statue too (like in the grab of that Cube Home I showed above, actually). There's nothing to hold it up, really, but I'm just satisfied, in my head-canon, that they found a way to beat gravity in the future. As long as it still feels like a real home.

30 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Why, that's what I meant before: my home doesn't have to be 100% believable, but enough to elicit that 'suspension of disbelief.' Enough real, at least, that I'm not constantly being pulled out of my immersion. I often have like a floating statue too (like in the grab of that Cube Home I showed above, actually). There's nothing to hold it up, really, but I'm just satisfied, in my head-canon, that they found a way to beat gravity in the future. As long as it still feels like a real home.

If it feels like home, it's home. What makes the difference is, we each have our own ideas of what home is. For me a "physical" home consists of a living area, cooking and eating area, sleeping area and bathing area. And sometimes a laundry area. For someone else home is just a living area. Or a living, cooking and eating area. Or a living and sleeping area.

For some, home is pack. And it sucks when you don't have one.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.