Older Linden Homes Makeover Photos

Raspberry Crystal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

After seeing some great examples of older Linden homes makeovers around the forum I thought it might be nice to have a thread to gather those together.

So if you are camping out waiting for a move to Bellisseria, or loving your established home show us what you can do!

This is my Meadowbrook Overlook property, definitely a work in progress!. I was initially put off getting a two story place because I disliked the 'painted on' stairs but it turned out to be easy to cover them up.

It took me 3 'abandon and hop's to find a spot I was happy with, two of those jumps led me to open water views.

I have around 80 prims left after placing my major items so the decor should look a little less sparse soon enough :)

Old Linden_007.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

This is a lovely idea - and congrats on your fine view:)

I really wish something could be done to make it easier for people to choose an older Linden Home while still looking for a Bellisseria home.

I understand it's complex - and it is such a pity you have to abandon your Linden Home plot before being able to look, especially now when new Linden Homes are so hard to get.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Leora Jacobus said:

But maybe now as people only want the new ones you can pick and choose - and abandon till you get such a view.

Yes of course. You still have the restriction of five picks and abandons each day, but that can be quite quick and easy to do, unlike with the newer homes.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

After seeing some great examples of older Linden homes makeovers around the forum I thought it might be nice to have a thread to gather those together.

So if you are camping out waiting for a move to Bellisseria, or loving your established home show us what you can do!

This is my Meadowbrook Overlook property, definitely a work in progress!. I was initially put off getting a two story place because I disliked the 'painted on' stairs but it turned out to be easy to cover them up.

It took me 3 'abandon and hop's to find a spot I was happy with, two of those jumps led me to open water views.

I have around 80 prims left after placing my major items so the decor should look a little less sparse soon enough :)

Old Linden_007.png

It’s taken me 8 years to get an open view in the old Linden homes. I remember when they first came out,  and there were all these seemingly empty homes that were on the edges of the continents. Oh how I envied those people. I’ve bounced around in recent months and have had some pretty nice locations. I hope it won’t take 10 years  to get on the water in Bellisseria. 

• Like 5

I used to have a fun time playing around with the old linden homes, I think the one I liked most, from the outside appearance was the one I turned into three towers :) 

Snapshot_078.thumb.png.22102e498a58a456cb46651871cb2259.png

It had a total of 7 rooms, on the bottom floor was the kitchen, living room, and dining room.  Then I had my bedroom at the very top of the middle tower, with a bathroom below it.  The bedroom lead out to a little balcony, where I could gaze out across the fantasy landscape, and I could even sit on one of two bubble seats 😍  I had a little library on the top floor of the tower to my right, and in the top floor of the tower to my left was a little pool.  Above it all, a few thousand feet, was a sky platform with a few trees, a table to sit at, and a bench overlooking the edge.

Snapshot_125.thumb.png.83ac2843b130a841fd61255495044486.png

Edited by WillowTenage
  • Like 12

11 hours ago, Emma Krokus said:

I really wish something could be done to make it easier for people to choose an older Linden Home while still looking for a Bellisseria home.

I understand it's complex - and it is such a pity you have to abandon your Linden Home plot before being able to look, especially now when new Linden Homes are so hard to get.

This ^^^   

If LL could somehow manage this change, I think we'd have a lot less complaints.  It wouldn't make everyone happy, but it would sure go a long ways down that road.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 7

18 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This ^^^   

If LL could somehow manage this change, I think we'd have a lot less complaints.  It wouldn't make everyone happy, but it would sure go a long ways down that road.

You mean something like remove half of the unused homes and give the prims to the remaining half?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MichaMoz said:

You mean something like remove half of the unused homes and give the prims to the remaining half?

They've already said that that isn't possible.  The homes are on 512 plots and to change all the regions to double-prim regions is apparently quite complicated on the back end.  And how do they handle things if half of the houses on a region are not empty, so there isn't enough available LI to give everyone double?  Pretty much anything about changing the old land & homes would take too much effort, pulling the manpower away from the current homes and has been deemed not worth all that work for something that will be tossed in a year or two.

What I was referring to in my comment, was the last part of what I quoted:

image.png.29aea3a4d37b4a3d2aac285fd51d4c2a.png

So, I was specifically meaning if there was any way they could change the back end fairly easily so that people did not have to abandon the old home in order to actually refresh the page trying for a new one.  More of a 'keep the home you have until something comes up that you select and click Next on and get confirmed on'.  Note really sure how they'd manage that though since if the system automatically abandoned your old one at the time you were confirmed for a new one, all your stuff would come back in a clump.  It would probably be way to complicated to change it all so that you could temporarily own two homes, for a set number of hours, so that you could go pick up all your stuff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

They've already said that that isn't possible.  The homes are on 512 plots and to change all the regions to double-prim regions is apparently quite complicated on the back end.  And how do they handle things if half of the houses on a region are not empty, so there isn't enough available LI to give everyone double?  Pretty much anything about changing the old land & homes would take too much effort, pulling the manpower away from the current homes and has been deemed not worth all that work for something that will be tossed in a year or two.

So, I was specifically meaning if there was any way they could change the back end fairly easily so that people did not have to abandon the old home in order to actually refresh the page trying for a new one.  More of a 'keep the home you have until something comes up that you select and click Next on and get confirmed on'.  Note really sure how they'd manage that though since if the system automatically abandoned your old one at the time you were confirmed for a new one, all your stuff would come back in a clump.  It would probably be way to complicated to change it all so that you could temporarily own two homes, for a set number of hours, so that you could go pick up all your stuff.

I don't see why that would impossible since they could easily change the prim allocation for the unused or vacant plots to 0 prims then double the allocation for the others the same way they do at Horizons, Bay City and Nautilus.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MichaMoz said:

I don't see why that would impossible since they could easily change the prim allocation for the unused or vacant plots to 0 prims then double the allocation for the others the same way they do at Horizons, Bay City and Nautilus.

The way the system is written, they cannot just change LI at the parcel level.  The LI is allocated at the region level and then parcels get a percentage based on parcel size - it would truly take tons of coding to change how that part of the system actually works.  Therefore, there are really only 2 ways of increasing the LI for the old homes: 
 1) Remove half the homes and change the remaining plots to 1024 size, which would automatically double their LI. We have already been told that that is an immense amount of work (and I can totally see how it would be) - not to mention trying to figure out how to handle regions where you can't get rid of half the homes because more than half of the homes still have people living in them. 
 2)  Double the LI of all of the regions on those continents -- which is hundreds of regions.  The problem with that is that my guess is that the region LI amounts are part of the calculations in how the VM is set up, how much CPU and memory resources they need.  You can't just go in and increase all of the CPU and memory allocations of bunches of VMs without that requiring some server upgrades. 

Those other areas are double LI because they were planned that way from the beginning.  

• Like 3

Found a lovely spot for a Tahoe cabin - Willow model that is overlooking water in Buckbrush Grove. Only one neighbor on my right and trees on the left since it is a point of land. Took several days of clicking but found a spot that suited me. Added the two loft add-on's from the marketplace and will finish off decorating later.  I just don't have the time to wait for a new Linden home every day. This suits me just fine.

Eleanor June 2019 books_039.png

• Like 21

This makes me wonder how the idea of simply taking the actual home buildings on the old Premium continents gets swapped for newer mesh versons... would that catch up? No changes to the parcel sizes or locations, no terraforming, maybe a bit of swapping on the landscaping. How would that sound? Not many people really cares for roads and paths and would likely be happy with a newer home on the same cramped space as the old ones.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eleanor Anderton said:

Found a lovely spot for a Tahoe cabin - Willow model that is overlooking water in Buckbrush Grove. Only one neighbor on my right and trees on the left since it is a point of land. Took several days of clicking but found a spot that suited me. Added the two loft add-on's from the marketplace and will finish off decorating later.  I just don't have the time to wait for a new Linden home every day. This suits me just fine.

Eleanor June 2019 books_039.png

What a wonderful place you made for yourself there! ❤️

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Eleanor Anderton said:

That's such a lovely spot Eleanor!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The way the system is written, they cannot just change LI at the parcel level.  The LI is allocated at the region level and then parcels get a percentage based on parcel size - it would truly take tons of coding to change how that part of the system actually works.  Therefore, there are really only 2 ways of increasing the LI for the old homes: 
 1) Remove half the homes and change the remaining plots to 1024 size, which would automatically double their LI. We have already been told that that is an immense amount of work (and I can totally see how it would be) - not to mention trying to figure out how to handle regions where you can't get rid of half the homes because more than half of the homes still have people living in them. 
 2)  Double the LI of all of the regions on those continents -- which is hundreds of regions.  The problem with that is that my guess is that the region LI amounts are part of the calculations in how the VM is set up, how much CPU and memory resources they need.  You can't just go in and increase all of the CPU and memory allocations of bunches of VMs without that requiring some server upgrades. 

Those other areas are double LI because they were planned that way from the beginning.  

You are 100% right about this!

Region LI is not just an arbitrary number, but based on server capacity. Having upgraded their hardware over the years, they (justifiably) decided, one day, "Hey, we might as well go to 20,000 prim per full region." But they can't just haphazardly double the LI (actually, they probably could, but the ensuing lag would be horrific, without additional hardware). I think, on that topic, that full region owners can actually buy a region 'addon-pack', so to speak, for extra LI; but it stands to reason LL would then allocate additional hardware to it, accordingly.

As for parcels, you're completely right there too. Theoretically, however, they could remove an old home, and then join said parcel to an adjacent one, thus doubling its LI. But, as the Moles explained, there are 2 major drawbacks to doing anything like this:

A) It's essentially wasted time, as you're spending it on something which is eventually meant to be torn down anyway;

B) Time wasted on A) is also not time spent on furthering the development of Bellisseria.

Ergo, let's don't, and say we did. In fact, let's not even say we did. 😛

• Like 4

9 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Perhaps if they made it clear that things will be returned in a clump - if you already have another Linden Home, then people can choose whether to roll the dice... or abandon first...

It would be acceptable to me - but then I am good at sorting out my messes :D

• Like 4

Thank you so much to those that posted here. I feel a little less crazy for swimming upstream :)

My place is feeling more like home as I approach my last fifty prims.
This black board is an extravagant 19 land impact, but somehow this is *so me*. At home I have lists everywhere, and it is fun to update the text inworld.

I am having some difficulty adding lived in clutter, as I spend so much effort trying to streamline our house in RL.
However, I am determined to finish decorating a house for once.

Old Linden_027.png

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Seba Serpente said:

This makes me wonder how the idea of simply taking the actual home buildings on the old Premium continents gets swapped for newer mesh versons... would that catch up? No changes to the parcel sizes or locations, no terraforming, maybe a bit of swapping on the landscaping. How would that sound? Not many people really cares for roads and paths and would likely be happy with a newer home on the same cramped space as the old ones.

New mesh versions of the older homes or replace the existing home with the new mesh homes that are on Bellisseria?  Either one would be a ton of work for something that is going to get thrown away. 

7 hours ago, Emma Krokus said:

Perhaps if they made it clear that things will be returned in a clump - if you already have another Linden Home, then people can choose whether to roll the dice... or abandon first...

It would be acceptable to me - but then I am good at sorting out my messes :D

Yeah, I'm just not sure how much back-end coding would be required for the system to do it.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I realised that I love moving fairly frequently (an example of doing something in sl that would be way too tricky in rl). After a 2 day refreshathon trying to get back into Belli I realised that I could go back to the older homes and have fun redecorating.

I'm loving the loftroom design because it isn't so big that the 175 allowance feels sparse, and the fireplace is in a 'walled' corner so can be covered up for a new look.

ayesha visit 2_006.png

• Like 12

You probably wouldn't notice the difference but I moved house!

Liking the "loftroom", I packed up my furniture in groups, to make the transition easy, then spent a couple of days refreshing to get the same model, but in a position with a little more open space, especially looking from the main windows.

In my refresh tour I found a variety of outlooks, the worst was a house tucked into the bottom of a steep hillside that felt within touching distance of neighbouring buildings. (I was hoping for a top of hill long view, but that option didn't show up in my refresh roulette)

I'm now trying some of the prim reduction techniques learned by reading this forum, we will have the fondue set :D

on the phone.png

Edited by Raspberry Crystal
  • Like 9

On 7/23/2019 at 11:41 PM, Seba Serpente said:

The cramped space is not the area around the house, it the inside of the houses.

I have a Bellisseria home and its mostly empty, I live in my sky box so I have room to move around without running into walls. So replacing one of the older homes with a new one is a bad idea, IMHO.

I would love to see an area in Belli that uses the older homes on the 1024 lots.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.