The more time you spend in SL the more you notice that our roleplay community tends to just confuse some people. I've been shamed for wanting to adopt, live the family life, and some day marry, and after a while you learn how to just let it roll off your back and move on. It's SL, things happen, people aren't always going to agree with your every whim or opinion, suck it up buttercup! I got to thinking, however. Wouldn't it be great if we, as a community of like minded people, had one central location where we could join, talk, discuss, chat, and even advertise or invite at our leisure? I know it's not the most original idea in the entire world, but I decided to give it a go myself!

So, in that line of thinking, and being consumed by the want to just have that one place, I decided to make a group. Sure, it's taking ages to take off, but that's also mostly my fault. I'm not exactly the most adept advertiser in the world, and I know that it needs more exposure! That being said, I truly believe in it!

This post, I suppose, is just to poke at people and see their opinions about such a thing. While I have already made the group in world (IM me for an invite, everyone is welcome!), I would also like to know what people think of it! Would you join such a group? Do you think that there is also a need of an inworld sort of HQ location for something like this? A connected family oriented dating site? All opinions are welcome!

• Like 2

First reaction is yeah sure it's a concept worth promoting.  Family is a central unifying force to so many; and if Second Life can provide something like a second chance for people who, for whatever reason, seek now to choose a family to spend some time with, there is great potential there.  Someone to spend the holidays with. Someone to spoil with toys. Someone to experience fraternal energy with.  Is there land to go with this idea, a physical space with a roof or a park bench -- or do you envision just a non-committal chatty group discussing all things family-related, maybe accidentally finding one's long lost sister in the process of conversation...? 

• Like 3

Well right now it is just a group. I know that isn't much but I am hoping to,  at the very least,  provide a happy and welcoming safe space for us. I have considered an in world option. Just something simple,  maybe a few panel people can open if the are searching for things. It is all up in the air. Lol

I'm curious about this. I've been a role player for many years, adopted a child back when this account was quite young, and been a member of at least two "role playing families" and none of it really turned out the way I expected it would. I love being a mother in SL; it's the main reason I log in. And I love my time to do my own thing which is where having "fake kids" works for me. Role Play used to be my first SL love so I guess you could say I still have a kind of latent affinity with it. Over the years I've lost the will to do so to any great capacity but COULD be tempted back should the right situation arise. I suppose to that end I'm really asking for a little clarification.

Is this Role Play in the "traditional" IC or In Character sense, or an OOC Out of Character sense? To say both seems like a recipe for disaster (not to mention a headache for you and your moderating staff). I love IC RP in that it usually allows for less room for OOC drama and a separation between "reality and fantasy", but RP in itself does bring with it a certain element of those who fervently believe RP is either one way or the other and the two shall never meet. Mixing IC and OOC seems like a problem just waiting to happen. Having owned and run several RP regions and groups over the years I've run the gamut in personality types clashing, taking things said in IC personally, or OOC things that really belong IC, or some that happen OOC but make the IC crowd feel uncomfortable, and so on. So I consider myself 'once bitten, twice shy' more than just being my usual over-thinking self when it comes to joining most RP or even family groups anymore. I'm not sure how you'd navigate that with any great success; with a lot of hard work and patience most likely.

The biggest issue I see regarding a group of this scope is likely that; the magnitude. Are you catering for all maturity ratings? I ask this because everyone seems to have their own ideas of what constitutes as family; mother, father and kids; same-sex parents and kids; a single parent with kids; parents with no kids (avatars) but a bevvy of prim/animated kids; a man and his "babygirl"; an canine avatar with a litter of puppies; multi-generational families; extended family; adopted siblings; long lost relatives with dubious blood connections; Mafia or crime families; Slavers or Harem owners with their consorts; and so on and so forth. If you're catering for all that's going to require some careful groundwork and moderation on your part. If it's strictly G or M rated then you're going to lose a chunk of clientele who chase the adult sex-family clubs. The tags you attached to this topic are broad enough to cater for pretty much anyone of any genre, which is why I ask.

Being passionate is excellent. Stick to your vision, because a lot of people are going to push you to change it to suit their vision. 

Personally speaking I'd love to be able to find a group of likeminded souls for the occasional ongoing RP scenario, like family members that drop over every now and then for coffee and chat, or get together to celebrate holidays, that kind of thing. But I have zero interest in G rated RP or families as I can be a little rough around the edges and I appreciate the realism that comes with everyday life; I don't want to live in a perfect 'Leave it to Beaver' universe and I don't want to stagnate with every day feeling like the perfect 'Groundhog day'. Give me some variety; let my kids throw tantrums and complain when we're out wandering the grid. That to me makes for great RP but in an OOC world that would trigger tension to some people, and as such I am VERY wary of anything that leans too heavily on the OOC side of RP. Not everyone seems able (or even wants to) separate the avatar on the screen from their real life selves, and while that is their right it opens up the problem I've mentioned already; OOC drama, miscommunication, hurt feelings, and loss of friendships that wouldn't otherwise happen in an IC or more "fake" RP setting.

Anyway this post is long enough and I know long posts have a tendency to be ignored on the forums. The point is if you're looking to create a network for families make sure you stipulate what your vision of family is, what is and isn't allowed or will or won't be tolerated, and go from there. If you haven't yet you should have a pick in your profile to advertise too, and I do think a space to go in world could only benefit you, though if you're looking to attract all again just how you manage to cater for everyone and adhere to the ToS is going to be another challenge in itself. I sincerely wish you the best of luck and will be watching this closely to see where it goes from here. :D❤️ 

• Like 2

I'm with @RaeLeeH on this. Pretty much my experience word for word. I would love nothing more than to find a strictly IC family roleplay. I have tried many times over the years and did manage to find one partner and our little family lasted for 2 good years until RL stole him away. It would be so great to find that again.  If you want help getting this off the ground, I would volunteer time and effort. Feel free to contact me in world.

• Like 3

@RaeLeeH I agree that there are several versions of RP and family RP, and that the line between them can be seem very thin. For some people it is all super strict paragraph style in character roleplay. I think I'm somewhere just shy of that. I like to chat and just talk, but I'm not quite interested in posting full on paragraphs for my family rp. I think what I'm looking to cater to with this group are people who take family life seriously. When they adopt child avatars it isn't just an adult playing a teeny person. They treat them like kids, they are their parents in SL. I know that I am also not, in any way, shape, or form, interested in catering to the adult side with this. I don't have any care that I would lose "clientelle" from that side because that's not the side of SL I'm looking to be a part of this. I really just was hoping to make a single location, group for now, that is specifically catered to RP families, the G and PG type, those who take their SL family life seriously. 

@ChloeKai I'm going to drop you a line in sl!

• Like 1

Honestly, I really only now got into rp today.  This might be completely off topic but generally, how do people keep up story lines? Like I know this might sound like a dumb question but let's say I do one thing with group A do I need to tell group B about it to keep the story consistent? Idk if this is even making sense or not. 

Anyway, I would love for this idea to kick off and I'd totally join the group. What is it again?

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Gummielicious said:

@RaeLeeH I agree that there are several versions of RP and family RP, and that the line between them can be seem very thin. For some people it is all super strict paragraph style in character roleplay. I think I'm somewhere just shy of that. I like to chat and just talk, but I'm not quite interested in posting full on paragraphs for my family rp. I think what I'm looking to cater to with this group are people who take family life seriously. When they adopt child avatars it isn't just an adult playing a teeny person. They treat them like kids, they are their parents in SL. I know that I am also not, in any way, shape, or form, interested in catering to the adult side with this. I don't have any care that I would lose "clientelle" from that side because that's not the side of SL I'm looking to be a part of this. I really just was hoping to make a single location, group for now, that is specifically catered to RP families, the G and PG type, those who take their SL family life seriously. 

It's fantastic in that you know what you want, though not fantastic in that it's not what I'm looking for, but this is your dream not mine. And it has merit. While there aren't any real original ideas anymore there's still plenty of room for old ideas to be good ones. There are a lot of people looking to connect and SL is the perfect platform for that. You could do wonders in helping to make them feel a bit less lonely and that can only be a good thing. I'm sure you'll do great and I sincerely hand-on-heart wish you the best of luck. :)

14 hours ago, OlliesOrbit said:

Honestly, I really only now got into rp today.  This might be completely off topic but generally, how do people keep up story lines? Like I know this might sound like a dumb question but let's say I do one thing with group A do I need to tell group B about it to keep the story consistent? Idk if this is even making sense or not. 

Anyway, I would love for this idea to kick off and I'd totally join the group. What is it again?

Hi OlliesOrbit! At the risk of derailing this thread I'll answer here, but would suggest perhaps if you really want a more detailed explanation or assistance you'd probably be better off posting a new topic in the RP forum, just as Gummielicious has done here. But since we're here I'll do my best to reply as best I can anyway.

As for how to keep up with storylines I know of a few methods;

1) Keep copies of your RP threads/posts in note cards saved to your inventory (*IMPORTANT!* Do not share those note cards with anyone as I think to do so would be a violation of the Terms of Service/ToS here and you might get into trouble). These note cards are for you to read and keep track of only to use as memory joggers!

2) Create a note card and write down all the relevant points from your RP as basically bullet points (for example; July 25, RP with John. Found out about Mary cheating. Had a fight. Broke right arm.); this is different than copying all your RP so you don't have to wade through all the posts to get to the important points to help keep a story flowing and on track. 

3) Get a RP buddy. Generally speaking the more you bounce ideas off each other the more things have a tendency to stick, and the better chance they may remind you what happened the last time you role played so you can stay on track. RP buddies are handy that way! (But be wary of oversharing; see below).

4) Start your character's story with a general idea of what direction you want them to go and keep pushing towards that. This sounds basic but a lot of people get lost along the way. If your character is a bank robber yet doesn't ever spend a good portion of their focus on, in, or around a bank then they've lost direction and RP can stagnate and die prematurely. Sometimes having a clear understanding of who they are or what they want more than anything else will keep all your RP headed in a direction you want. Motivation makes RP (and writing in general) significantly easier.

When it comes to sharing information; I'd be wary of sharing too much with others on certain elements on your intended RP. Having an end goal can stifle your creativity long before your character even reaches that end goal, as well as box you into a corner because everything you say or do has to lead you to a specific point and if you deviate that will ruin the picture you've already constructed. That works well for some but never did for me. On other occasions a certain degree of communication beforehand is necessary; if you have a partner in crime then they need to be privy to as much information as needed to help push the story along (bearing in mind we are talking about OOC communication; only when all the OOC details are on the table - or as much as you know at that point - can you agree what your characters know in world IC and develop the story from there). If you keep springing new information on them, or keep important information from them, you're essentially controlling their story too and that's a form of metagaming; you need to give others the room to write their own stories in sync with yours but not dominate or suppress where possible. No one wants to feel like they're being manipulated behind the scenes or worse, ignored.

When you're dealing with other people, specifically law enforcement or medical, or enemy factions and rivals you will need to communicate with them too to a degree to make sure someone is around to RP with you. You don't have to tell them everything and I recommend you don't; once you tell a police officer your character is guilty that in itself will effect how the rest of the story plays out because, sad to say (and regardless what they themselves say), many people cannot separate OOC knowledge from IC and often metagame in order to "win". I've seen it far too often, and the best defense is to tell people only what you think they need to know. Only what will effect them. Only, if the proverbial shoe was on the other foot and they were coming to you with information, what you yourself would like to know or feel necessary to know from your character's standpoint if that person was to share information with you. It comes down to commonsense and common courtesy and that varies from player to player. The more you RP the more you may develop a feel for what you think needs to be shared and how or how often, but as a general rule of thumb play your cards close to your chest and tell people what you think they need to know if it directly (or indirectly) effects them in a significant way

Now I've said all that I'm assuming you're not a stranger to role play in general so hopefully that made sense! If it didn't, again, you may want to consider creating a separate thread in the RP forum where you could get more detailed information from other people less verbal or confusing than myself. As for what the group this thread is about, I will let others answer that. I do wish you the best of luck with your future endeavours. :)

(And sorry @Gummielicious for hijacking your thread!) ✌️

Edited by RaeLeeH
Just to ramble on a bit more... as usual.
  • Like 1

I know that everyone has a dofferent idea of what SL family rp is. I love me some para style roleplay myself. I wish there was a way to cater individually but I feel like doing to much at once is how people get burned out and exhausted over things an ideas quickly. Thankyou so much for your wellwishes!

@OlliesOrbit The group name is Tell Me A Story,  but you can also I'm me in world for an invite,  o r to talk,  or what have you! I am glad to see you are getting into rp on SL! Such a huge variety and a great community. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

i like to RP a bratty sassy teen girl so.......need a home/family.

"chaosninja7 Resident" in-world. IM me for offers.

Edited by chaosninja7

18 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:

It's fantastic in that you know what you want, though not fantastic in that it's not what I'm looking for, but this is your dream not mine. And it has merit. While there aren't any real original ideas anymore there's still plenty of room for old ideas to be good ones. There are a lot of people looking to connect and SL is the perfect platform for that. You could do wonders in helping to make them feel a bit less lonely and that can only be a good thing. I'm sure you'll do great and I sincerely hand-on-heart wish you the best of luck. :)

Hi OlliesOrbit! At the risk of derailing this thread I'll answer here, but would suggest perhaps if you really want a more detailed explanation or assistance you'd probably be better off posting a new topic in the RP forum, just as Gummielicious has done here. But since we're here I'll do my best to reply as best I can anyway.

As for how to keep up with storylines I know of a few methods;

1) Keep copies of your RP threads/posts in note cards saved to your inventory (*IMPORTANT!* Do not share those note cards with anyone as I think to do so would be a violation of the Terms of Service/ToS here and you might get into trouble). These note cards are for you to read and keep track of only to use as memory joggers!

2) Create a note card and write down all the relevant points from your RP as basically bullet points (for example; July 25, RP with John. Found out about Mary cheating. Had a fight. Broke right arm.); this is different than copying all your RP so you don't have to wade through all the posts to get to the important points to help keep a story flowing and on track. 

3) Get a RP buddy. Generally speaking the more you bounce ideas off each other the more things have a tendency to stick, and the better chance they may remind you what happened the last time you role played so you can stay on track. RP buddies are handy that way! (But be wary of oversharing; see below).

4) Start your character's story with a general idea of what direction you want them to go and keep pushing towards that. This sounds basic but a lot of people get lost along the way. If your character is a bank robber yet doesn't ever spend a good portion of their focus on, in, or around a bank then they've lost direction and RP can stagnate and die prematurely. Sometimes having a clear understanding of who they are or what they want more than anything else will keep all your RP headed in a direction you want. Motivation makes RP (and writing in general) significantly easier.

When it comes to sharing information; I'd be wary of sharing too much with others on certain elements on your intended RP. Having an end goal can stifle your creativity long before your character even reaches that end goal, as well as box you into a corner because everything you say or do has to lead you to a specific point and if you deviate that will ruin the picture you've already constructed. That works well for some but never did for me. On other occasions a certain degree of communication beforehand is necessary; if you have a partner in crime then they need to be privy to as much information as needed to help push the story along (bearing in mind we are talking about OOC communication; only when all the OOC details are on the table - or as much as you know at that point - can you agree what your characters know in world IC and develop the story from there). If you keep springing new information on them, or keep important information from them, you're essentially controlling their story too and that's a form of metagaming; you need to give others the room to write their own stories in sync with yours but not dominate or suppress where possible. No one wants to feel like they're being manipulated behind the scenes or worse, ignored.

When you're dealing with other people, specifically law enforcement or medical, or enemy factions and rivals you will need to communicate with them too to a degree to make sure someone is around to RP with you. You don't have to tell them everything and I recommend you don't; once you tell a police officer your character is guilty that in itself will effect how the rest of the story plays out because, sad to say (and regardless what they themselves say), many people cannot separate OOC knowledge from IC and often metagame in order to "win". I've seen it far too often, and the best defense is to tell people only what you think they need to know. Only what will effect them. Only, if the proverbial shoe was on the other foot and they were coming to you with information, what you yourself would like to know or feel necessary to know from your character's standpoint if that person was to share information with you. It comes down to commonsense and common courtesy and that varies from player to player. The more you RP the more you may develop a feel for what you think needs to be shared and how or how often, but as a general rule of thumb play your cards close to your chest and tell people what you think they need to know if it directly (or indirectly) effects them in a significant way

Now I've said all that I'm assuming you're not a stranger to role play in general so hopefully that made sense! If it didn't, again, you may want to consider creating a separate thread in the RP forum where you could get more detailed information from other people less verbal or confusing than myself. As for what the group this thread is about, I will let others answer that. I do wish you the best of luck with your future endeavours. :)

(And sorry @Gummielicious for hijacking your thread!) ✌️

Thanks so much for the information. It is definitely very helpful, and I will be using these tips the next time I tp into a rp sim. 

18 hours ago, Gummielicious said:

I know that everyone has a dofferent idea of what SL family rp is. I love me some para style roleplay myself. I wish there was a way to cater individually but I feel like doing to much at once is how people get burned out and exhausted over things an ideas quickly. Thankyou so much for your wellwishes!

@OlliesOrbit The group name is Tell Me A Story,  but you can also I'm me in world for an invite,  o r to talk,  or what have you! I am glad to see you are getting into rp on SL! Such a huge variety and a great community. 

I'll make sure to join the group too. Hopefully I find some like-minded people and we can make some beautiful stories together XD.

• Like 2

I've never really done RP in world, I attempted it a few times but the setting wasn't right and the paragraph style was intimidating. I am interested and would like to try some family style rp. I'm not sure what kind of character I would like to play but I would like to join the group and learn and hopefully do some RP

• Like 1

I rp a single mom and would love to join your group to find family members. I will look for your group next time I'm in world. I also like your idea of a family oriented dating site since the couple dating sites in SL that I go to aren't working out for me.

On 8/11/2019 at 8:38 AM, roxanne069 said:

. I also like your idea of a family oriented dating site since the couple dating sites in SL that I go to aren't working out for me.

totally agree. i really hope there are male avis that would want this as well