Cannot Walk Through Side Door

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1735 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone :)  This may seem like a real stupid question, but here goes: I just rezzed a house on my parcel, after positioning and freezing it in place I set about decorating without walking outside.  After I was finished, I wanted to leave out the side door instead of the front (this house as two outside doors) but something was blocking my way.  I could open and close the door, but I can't walk through.  For some reason I'm stopped roughly a foot away from the door and can't continue on.  Nothing shows up on Highlight Transparency, no prims are out of place, and the floor of the house is well above the ground so I have no idea what is blocking my path.  There's no problem with the front door only the side.  Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks :D

35 minutes ago, Jeanette Mavendorf said:

Hello everyone :)  This may seem like a real stupid question, but here goes: I just rezzed a house on my parcel, after positioning and freezing it in place I set about decorating without walking outside.  After I was finished, I wanted to leave out the side door instead of the front (this house as two outside doors) but something was blocking my way.  I could open and close the door, but I can't walk through.  For some reason I'm stopped roughly a foot away from the door and can't continue on.  Nothing shows up on Highlight Transparency, no prims are out of place, and the floor of the house is well above the ground so I have no idea what is blocking my path.  There's no problem with the front door only the side.  Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks :D

Most likely the maker forgot to set the door jam to "prim" in the FEATURES tab, If it is mod, you can find the prim that says "convex hull" still and change that to "prim" and you should be able to walk through.  It could ALSO be the wall with the hole for the doorway -- or both.  

image.thumb.png.5345688ef568c55ac7e347744dc499c6.png

Jeannette,

Chic is right!

Setting a prim or a linkset to physics type "convex hull" can often reduce the land impact of an object.  However, it can have the effect you are experiencing.

Every object has a "collision envelope".  This is what the physics engine uses to determine when something or someone has collided with it.  When the physics type is "prim", the collision envelope closely follows the shape of the object, leaving holes where there are holes, etc.  When you change it to "convex hull", the physics envelope becomes much simpler, but it ignores openings.  This reduces the object's complexity and therefore its land impact...but it also means that doors and other openings are now treated as a solid surface for determining collisions.

This error might have been made by the builder, or you might have introduced it by modifying the building in some way.

If you can't fix it by setting the object, or parts of it, to "prim", you can also try setting parts, or the building as a whole, to "phantom".  Of course, this will mean the floor's no longer solid and you can walk through the walls, so that might not be the optimum solution!

Thank you Chic and Linal for your help, I really do appreciate it but I checked the entire building and it is set to PRIM.  I even checked the parts around the door and the door itself separately and they are set at PRIM as well.  I'll just have to see what answers I can come up with, but thank you both again for responding to my post :D

Well, shoot!  Are you sure the side door is really intended to be a door?  I mean, you did say it has a door in it that opens and shuts, so it would seem so...but you never know what those crazy creators are going to do next.  Have you tried sending the creator a notecard?

You can check what the physics of the building is doing. I don't know how to set this in other viewers, but here's how you do it in the official viewer. Go into "Preferences" and go to the "Advanced" tab. Put a check in "Show Develop Menu".

You now have a menu called "Develop". In that menu, go down to "Render Metadata" and choose "Physic Shapes" from its submenu. Coloured shapes showing you the physics shape will appear over things. If the doorway is made to be a door, you should see a space there. If not, it'll be a solid colour like the walls.

This can also highlight if your decor has a weird physics shape that sticks out past the object. That can also stop you getting through doors.

Edited by Polenth Yue
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1735 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.