Permissions issue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK I am not sure if I am putting this in the right spot or not.. 

I am a person with a couple of alts one I use for building in order to avoid being disturbed too much.. and well I sent Items full perm from my builder alt to my main (the one i am typing with now) It shows up full perm in the inventory I can even edit the permissions my self from the inventory however when I pull out the item and rez it in world to edit for whatever reason.. When i pull it back in to my inventory it changes to no transfer.  What makes it even more strange is that I have changed and edited these items before on this account and was able to pull it back in to my inventory and it still be full perm.. but now something seems to have changed, and I am not sure what that is. any help on this situation would be appreciated.  I attached an image showing what I am seeing in my inventory...

notransprob.jpg

1 minute ago, Jiji Firehawk said:

OK I am not sure if I am putting this in the right spot or not.. 

I am a person with a couple of alts one I use for building in order to avoid being disturbed too much.. and well I sent Items full perm from my builder alt to my main (the one i am typing with now) It shows up full perm in the inventory I can even edit the permissions my self from the inventory however when I pull out the item and rez it in world to edit for whatever reason.. When i pull it back in to my inventory it changes to no transfer.  What makes it even more strange is that I have changed and edited these items before on this account and was able to pull it back in to my inventory and it still be full perm.. but now something seems to have changed, and I am not sure what that is. any help on this situation would be appreciated.  I attached an image showing what I am seeing in my inventory...

notransprob.jpg

Most often this is a script inside the object that is NOT full perm. So check that. 

Other possibility is that SL is acting extremely wonkie and it will be OK tomorrow. If you have any scripts or animations etc that are not full perm, that's would be the first thing I would check. Good luck.

As i stated in my post the original creator is my builder alt.. I didn't put in any scripts, they are not necessary for what the item is (not to mention that I can't script to save my life.  it's like a foreign language that i can't learn)

as for the second bit that could be ... 

Edited by Jiji Firehawk

11 hours ago, Jiji Firehawk said:

When i pull it back in to my inventory it changes to no transfer.

I suppose you know you should never change permissions on items in ivnentory - rez and change instead.

Apart from that, the only explanation I can think of is the one Chich suggested: SL acting up.

On 7/20/2019 at 1:51 PM, ChinRey said:

I suppose you know you should never change permissions on items in ivnentory - rez and change instead.

Apart from that, the only explanation I can think of is the one Chich suggested: SL acting up.

I actually do both.

• 3 weeks later...

Make sure the permissions are set when it's still rezzed on the ground then pick it up. Basically, if you only change the permissions while in your inventory, it doesn't fully apply, and is more or less just temporary perms. 

Alternatively, if your on firestorm [I don't know if other viewers have this option] You can set the default permissions to be full perm for anything you upload onto your build account. [Those options are in  preferences>firestorm>build1 for me.]

An easy way you can tell is in here

image.png.1fbe209ab47c1d18f595d94ee2feb48c.png

Look at the N, that shows the current permissions on it

And if I was to check the box for Transfer, it'll now have a little * next to it image.png.bfa6c2b5cd99e94f5be173130ed00162.png 

But when I rez it, and pick it back up into my inventory, the * goes away image.png.0487d299c1ad927b8b8902608fb8172e.png

Now, I do admit, I don't entirely know what some of the letters and such is short for, but basically, if you still see the *, it means the permissions haven't been fully applied.

Edited by Digit Gears
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Digit Gears said:

Alternatively, if your on firestorm [I don't know if other viewers have this option] You can set the default permissions to be full perm for anything you upload onto your build account. [Those options are in  preferences>firestorm>build1 for me.]

You can do this also in Catznip and Kokua viewers and (surprisingly) the LL Viewer now also - unless I am misremembering the LL Viewer, but pretty sure it's there, too, now.

33 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

You can do this also in Catznip and Kokua viewers and (surprisingly) the LL Viewer now also - unless I am misremembering the LL Viewer, but pretty sure it's there, too, now.

It has always been standard for al viewer, including the official one.

21 hours ago, Digit Gears said:

Make sure the permissions are set when it's still rezzed on the ground then pick it up. Basically, if you only change the permissions while in your inventory, it doesn't fully apply, and is more or less just temporary perms. 

An easy way you can tell is in here

image.png.1fbe209ab47c1d18f595d94ee2feb48c.png

Look at the N, that shows the current permissions on it

And if I was to check the box for Transfer, it'll now have a little * next to it image.png.bfa6c2b5cd99e94f5be173130ed00162.png 

But when I rez it, and pick it back up into my inventory, the * goes away image.png.0487d299c1ad927b8b8902608fb8172e.png

Now, I do admit, I don't entirely know what some of the letters and such is short for, but basically, if you still see the *, it means the permissions haven't been fully applied.

Great explanation, Digit - I remember trying to work this out some years back. I came across this wiki article way back then that explains what is going on. Worth a read if you’re trying to understand what’s going on. http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Debug_Permissions (specifically head down to the section “What is a Slam Bit”).

Edited by Peony Sweetwater
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Well... not always. :)

Well, maybe it didn't exist before the universe was created but even as early as during the Big Bang, the potential of a function for setting default permissions in the SL Viewer existed. I'm not saying the universe are completely deterministic but some things were invetiable right from the start and this is clearly one of them.

• Haha 1

On 8/14/2019 at 12:07 AM, Digit Gears said:

On 8/14/2019 at 3:27 PM, ChinRey said:

It has always been standard for al viewer, including the official one.

On 8/14/2019 at 3:40 PM, Alyona Su said:

Well... not always. :)

This was originally a feature from Emerald viewer.  This feature was ported into Phoenix & Firestorm & some other TPVs also added it.

That feature was added to the LL viewer with a code contribution from Jonathan Yap in 2014.
Ref: STORM-68 - Allow setting of default permissions on creation of objects, clothing, scripts, notecards, etc.

7 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

This was originally a feature from Emerald viewer.  This feature was ported into Phoenix & Firestorm & some other TPVs also added it.

That feature was added to the LL viewer with a code contribution from Jonathan Yap in 2014.
Ref: STORM-68 - Allow setting of default permissions on creation of objects, clothing, scripts, notecards, etc.

Yes, yes, I was going to say it had to be around 2014-ish (because even though I personally love the LL viewer, I don't use it that often). I remember being *surprised* that it was there after a fresh system reset  a time ago and thought "Wow, when id LL add that from Firestorm?" Hahaha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.