Bellisseria Sailing

Vega Firelyte

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

While out sailing with my partner today, we were able to enjoy the newest waterway that is now in, which connects the Bays on the Bellesseria continent, closer to the bottom areas.  That allowed us to go through the newer sections that are being constructed right now.  I have to say, I think the Moles are getting even more creative, because those new areas are just outstanding.

We basically started at the top of the continent, worked our way down along the coast, went around the horn and shot across the bay and down into the new canal.  The first bridge was more than high enough to allow my Bandit Sweetpea to go through with ease and from what I'm seeing of the future bridges, they will also be high enough as well, when they are fully constructed.  We went down through the rivers after we exited the canal and came out at the bottom of the continent, turning to round the bottom horn and made our way up to the airfield on the West side of the Bellisseria continent.  Amazing afternoon spent on the water with alot to see.  

While sailing, I had noticed in one of the new areas, a housing formation that looked interesting, so I went back to that later and I am in love with the way the Moles put this one region together, with some of the houses backed against a lake.  It looks really beautiful and very natural.  

Moleville1.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

• Moles

Not all water can be navigable, and not all navigable waterways can be navigated by all boats... but we try to make them reasonable for the size that they are. These waterways are good for small boats, canoes, rowboats, etc.

(We once saw a battleship rezzed out in one of the tiny rivers and just sat there for a while thinking, "Really?!?!?")

• Haha 15

For waterfront homes like that, has anyone come up with a good way to get a boat from your own property across the narrow strip of Linden land, and into the water? I've considered a truck and boat trailer setup, but my place has a sandy beach. A rocky shore like this would be tougher.  Anyone have something good?

boatlift.jpg.8cb0fc87cf0e0cd9cc530d1bb26da592.jpg

Might work.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, animats said:

For waterfront homes like that, has anyone come up with a good way to get a boat from your own property across the narrow strip of Linden land, and into the water? I've considered a truck and boat trailer setup, but my place has a sandy beach. A rocky shore like this would be tougher.  Anyone have something good?

boatlift.jpg.8cb0fc87cf0e0cd9cc530d1bb26da592.jpg

Might work.

Rez the boat on land on your parcel. Hop on, start the engine, throttle up... ----> woosshh... 😃

2019-05-04_Launch-boat.gif.48ad94804819037aee3172f609c98037.gif

• Like 10
  • Haha 6

another way is to mount your boat on a cannon carriage on your parcel. Add a cannon shell script in its own trigger prim which you link to your boat,. Sit the boat, touch the trigger and booooom! the boat gets fired up and out into the ocean with you on it

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

As often as I drive into rivers, canals, large water puddles, etc., I really do need one of those!

Greatest thing is, when you drive from land to water or water to land and lag out, in this vehicle its a natural to look cool, when you're actually driving like a drunk on speed.  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, PrudenceAnton said:

I have one and its awesome! 47300600212_0baf459208_o.thumb.png.3a970c72c4659f07914f3b39a53b9ef0.png

47300600542_6f290aed5a_o.thumb.png.33fde575e84f8b623056abe1abc6b0c2.png

I'll tell you what else you have, a friend or significant other who looks more like my RL husband than he does himself . Mine actually has a face like a smacked backside at the moment, really moody looking 🤣

• Haha 5

Hey, it's alright you laughing @Beth Macbain, he looks proper scowly lol. He doesn't log in very often which is a good thing because I can manage to lose him just walking around a shop. I'm thinking maybe a leash may be the way to go but I might get carried away (I don't think it's appropriate to put a pic on off the kind of thing I envisioned)

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Layla Claven said:

Hey, it's alright you laughing @Beth Macbain, he looks proper scowly lol. He doesn't log in very often which is a good thing because I can manage to lose him just walking around a shop. I'm thinking maybe a leash may be the way to go but I might get carried away (I don't think it's appropriate to put a pic on off the kind of thing I envisioned)

Quite all right... I'm picturing it perfectly well! 😉

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

Rez the boat on land on your parcel. Hop on, start the engine, throttle up... ----> woosshh... 😃

That's what I'm doing now, and since I have only to cross about 4m of Linden sandy beach, it doesn't look that awful. But there have been snickers.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, animats said:

That's what I'm doing now, and since I have only to cross about 4m of Linden sandy beach, it doesn't look that awful. But there have been snickers.

with only 4m to cover then I would look at making a boat guide rail cradle system.  Like on the parcel the boat sits in it cradle. When you want to use it, touch the cradle and the rails extend out to the water. Sit the boat and drive it down the rails to the sea. When the boat is on the water have the rails auto retract

• Like 6

On 7/19/2019 at 6:27 PM, Abnor Mole said:

Not all water can be navigable, and not all navigable waterways can be navigated by all boats... but we try to make them reasonable for the size that they are. These waterways are good for small boats, canoes, rowboats, etc.

(We once saw a battleship rezzed out in one of the tiny rivers and just sat there for a while thinking, "Really?!?!?")

Very true.  When I seen this, I did think that it was perfect for small vehicles like paddle boats, canoes, and the smaller motor boats, like the BOSS one.  Those would fit there.  

Yes, for the smaller rivers, size does matter.  I've seen someone try to do a freighter also.  It didn't end well.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Mollymews said:

with only 4m to cover then I would look at making a boat guide rail cradle system.  Like on the parcel the boat sits in it cradle. When you want to use it, touch the cradle and the rails extend out to the water. Sit the boat and drive it down the rails to the sea. When the boat is on the water have the rails auto retract

That's called a "marine railway".

Marine-Railway-with-custom-front-nose-gu

This would do the job. Almost exactly what I need, and here's a RL prototype to model. 

For SL, will have to retract the track when not in use, to get it off Linden land. Probably store it under the fixed track section. Or cheat, and wind it out of a box like a roll-up garage door. That would allow up to 64m of track, in case you need it.

• Like 4

On 7/19/2019 at 6:25 PM, Coby Foden said:

2019-05-04_Launch-boat.gif.48ad94804819037aee3172f609c98037.gif

This looks like the funnest possible way to launch a boat! I have to ask.. Are you using a lesser known viewer? Because I've never seen water or materials look sooo good, even if I have everything cranked up.

1 hour ago, Morena Tully said:

This looks like the funnest possible way to launch a boat! I have to ask.. Are you using a lesser known viewer? Because I've never seen water or materials look sooo good, even if I have everything cranked up.

I'm using Firestorm viewer. Just using region's default Windlight, ALM (i.e. Advanced Lighting Model) on, shadows on, all water reflections on. That's it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.