Mesh rigging issue.

LouiseDeBlois

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1736 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all. Been messing around on Blender and finally got the jist of texture working, adjustments, joining meshes and making sure to remove doubles. 

I have been following the methods on rigging with automatic weight sharing on the basic SL rigged skeleton which i downloaded from their template page and did some basic rigging work. The mesh follows the skeleton when i use pose mode. The issue occurs when i upload it to SL, sorry about the amount of gyazo links also.

Here is the mesh with the skeleton in place. I am aware of the exposed faces which are glitching around, cleaned them last night, but the uploaded outcome made me quit in frustation.

https://gyazo.com/1bc58187ec219ee557f5eb7d5378c9ce

https://gyazo.com/51bf0eca24abd7709d73c5aea0145c6e

and this is the issue when i upload it to SL with skin weights on show.

https://gyazo.com/ee220eebc80b4e95f9d474189dc388b8

Side note:

I did get the mesh made not in a T pose as a base, and i had to move the skeleton in place with edit mode to match the meshes shape:

https://gyazo.com/df8abff4896b3a2c99997389e54ab5af

I am unsure if me altering the skeleton is the cause of this issue. If it is, how would i got around to fixing the mesh to be in a tpose? as all parts are joined into a single mesh along with set UV's

Thanks all.

On 7/17/2019 at 7:11 PM, LouiseDeBlois said:

I am unsure if me altering the skeleton is the cause of this issue.

That is part of the issue, yes. You created an item with custom joint positions by editing the skeleton that way. Blender on the other hand doesn't support custom bind poses, so rotating the arms into position is no solution. Avastar has its own tool to integrate this workflow though. However, the thing can be done manually as well, it's a bit convoluted but it should be feasible.

What you should do to get a custom bind pose for rigging:

1) In pose mode: rotate all the bones into position. Don't move them, rotate only.

2) Write down the rotations applied for the fitting for ALL involved bones

3) Back in Object mode, CTRL+A and "Apply pose as rest pose". It's been a while from the last time i did this, this step MIGHT be no longer available in object mode, in such case switch to pose mode

4) Do your rigging. When done, go to point 5

5) Select the bones you rotated into position at step 1 and apply the same rotations you wrote down, just inverting them. So, for example, say you have rotated a bone 30 degrees at point 1, now rotate it of -30 degrees, so it goes back to the TPose; inversely, with an initial rotation of -30 degrees, you should rotate it back by typing 30. You should now be back to a TPose

6) Select the mesh and go to the Modifiers tab (in the panel on the right) and find the Armature modifier: hit the Apply button so the new mesh shape gets applied.

7) Select the skeleton and CTRL+A "Apply pose as rest pose". The skeleton is now back to an acceptable pose for SL to match the bones rotations (the TPose)

8 ) Select the mesh, shift select the skeleton and CTRL-P to recreate a binding as you did at point 4, this time though you want to keep the weights you have worked on so you do NOT choose "With automatic weights", there is an option to keep the weights or vertex groups unaltered (although i can't remember the exact text)

Now you export.

On 7/17/2019 at 7:11 PM, LouiseDeBlois said:

I have been following the methods on rigging with automatic weight sharing on the basic SL rigged skeleton which i downloaded from their template page

However, from your screenshots it also seems that the mesh gets squeezed against the avatar body, which is the other part of the issue. From your explanation, it wasn't clear where you downloaded the skeleton files from. "Their page", but whose? The Linden's wikipage? in this case i would suggest you go to Machinimatrix web site and look for the avatar workbench, as it includes some data for the collision volume bones that are necessary to get the shape sliders to work. Currently, it seems it is the basic skeleton that comes in with collision volume bones scale set to 1, while the inworld avatar requires a set of specific scale and rotations for the collision volume bones to match inworld. Since Blender lacks support of bind poses in general, this can't be done manually and Machinimatrix's avatar workbench files are constructed to fill this gap providing extra data that the collada export will use to overwrite the actual bones scales to something compatible for SL.

Good luck! :) 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1736 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.